SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-31-17, 02:20 PM   #1
komi
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Effects of water temp on submarine conditions?

Question for any of you actual bubble-heads here, having never set foot on an active sub before please excuse my ignorance. I was just wondering if, in your knowledge/experience, conditions such as local sea temperatures have had any effect on conditions within a sub? For example if one was cruising in the comparatively warm waters of a place like the Indian Ocean or Persian Gulf could conditions aboard get noticeably stickier? Or visa versa if you were out some place like the Barents Sea would you notice not having to deal with any extra warmth?

I guess part of this would depend on the depth you were operating at. Heck, for all I know conditions in subs over the last half century are insulated enough that outside temps don't make any difference, but still thought I'd ask...
komi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 02:36 PM   #2
kraznyi_oktjabr
Sea Lord

Downloads: 8

I'm not bubblehead but what I have heard is that atleast in older boats water temperature had relatively straight correlation with interior temperature. However all of these stories are from boats built before 1946 so many things may have changed since then... or maybe not.
Old 12-31-17, 03:07 PM   #3
komi
Sailor man

To be honest I'm just as interested to hear info on this subject from the first half of the 20th century as I am on more modern subs. I just assumed any vets on this site wouldn't be of those earlier generations. In fact it'd be interesting to hear answers to this subject for both older and more modern subs for a bit of comparison.
Old 12-31-17, 07:16 PM   #4
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

The weather on an SSBN was much more pleasant than the weather on a Submarine Tender. I don't remember sweating ever on the sub, but then I stayed out of the scary rear end most of the time for my one trip of eight weeks. I can hardly believe that's thirty-five years ago.

Going aft felt a bit like this scene from "Planet of the Apes" to me

Last edited by em2nought; 12-31-17 at 07:19 PM. Reason: elaborate
em2nought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 01:15 AM   #5
komi
Sailor man

Can I ask whereabouts you were serving at the time?
Old 01-01-18, 04:41 PM   #6
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

What I understand, in the older boats, the outside water had an effect on the interior temperature. Most of the time, the temperature tended toward cool, even in the tropics. If submerged for a while, humidity got high. So the interior was cool, with humid, stale air.
Old 01-01-18, 05:56 PM   #7
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by komi View Post
Can I ask whereabouts you were serving at the time?
Kings Bay, GA out to Bermuda or so, and then down to Andros Island in the Bahamas . It wasn't humid inside. I never noticed a funny smell to the air or anything like that, although I've read that there is supposed to be a noticeable odor. When they popped the hatch after four weeks or so that fresh sea air sure smelled good anyway.
Old 01-02-18, 08:10 AM   #8
komi
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
Kings Bay, GA out to Bermuda or so, and then down to Andros Island in the Bahamas .
Sounds more like a charter cruise than a military op
Old 01-02-18, 12:19 PM   #9
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by komi View Post
Sounds more like a charter cruise than a military op
Except that it was all underwater. I left out the brief stop in Ft. Lauderdale where I bought some parachute pants and went to The Pink Pussycat.

Tags
conditions, submarine, temperatures, water