SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-01-21, 01:56 PM   #1
pnig
Swabbie

Downloads: 80
Uploads: 0
Default MAYDAY-Out of Fuel!

OK, all error pointing aside, and who cares how I did it, but after a very active and productive patrol (in career mode) I ran out of diesel about 1,000 miles from Midway. I sank 9 merchants and one Destroyer.
I can not find anywhere in the game to call for help, refuel at sea, or anything else but to sit helplessly on the surface waiting for someone to come alone and sink me.
Is there any way to get out of this mess
pnig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-21, 02:15 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Sort of, if you have a LOT of patience... Your batteries most likely will never completely run down in the game, so submerge and travel on battery for about 24 hours, or until you are worried about the CO2 build-up, then surface (if it's safe to), submerge, and do it again. You most likely will not get over 1 knot in speed, but you might eventually make it. Just bee-line for Midway, cross your fingers, and don't engage anything in battle. You might make it eventually. I would not exceed 1024x TC either... Let us know how you do... Watch-out for Lockwood's wrath when you get back in though... You will get a lot of messages about your batteries being low, also, btw...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-21, 03:02 PM   #3
pnig
Swabbie

Default Thanks

thanks, I have a little (10%) battery left. On my way to Midway. I will tell Lockwood you told me to do it.
Old 06-01-21, 03:04 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnig View Post
OK, all error pointing aside, and who cares how I did it, but after a very active and productive patrol (in career mode) I ran out of diesel about 1,000 miles from Midway. I sank 9 merchants and one Destroyer.
I can not find anywhere in the game to call for help, refuel at sea, or anything else but to sit helplessly on the surface waiting for someone to come alone and sink me.
Is there any way to get out of this mess

Yes, one of the oversights in the sim was no way to call for help etc . Someone made a mod a while back where could send an SOS and get some help but in the end don't think it really worked.

I can't remember exact files off my head and not in front of my computer but I believe you can edit the realism settings for your active game and coudl switch on unlimited fuel. It's the documents/SH4/ find the save for your current game. Guys help him out lol

Are you running the stock game or mods? ?Most mods in the navigation panel will give you the distance you can go at certain speeds etc.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-21, 03:30 PM   #5
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Have not found a way to beat empty diesel tanks, and was unsuccessful using any residual battery power, but that's the only possibility I can think of.

It's a bit unrealistic that COMSUBPAC would risk losing a sub for lack of fuel... a rescue mission and courts martial are much cheaper than buying a new Balao.

To combat the "successful patrol till I ran out of fuel" scenario that I've experienced after a similar great patrol, if there are no forward refit bases, the "pay attention" alarms sound when the fuel remaining hits 50-55%...
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-21, 03:54 PM   #6
pnig
Swabbie

Default Alarms

OH the alarms went off but I was flank speed end arounding two delicious Troop ships . . . then there was the two freighters, and the small convoy. OH the alarms went off, I just figured there was hope!
Old 06-02-21, 07:28 PM   #7
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnig View Post
OH the alarms went off but I was flank speed end arounding two delicious Troop ships . . . then there was the two freighters, and the small convoy. OH the alarms went off, I just figured there was hope!

Been there done that ... then I had the high speed pursuit hangover when I ran out of diesel...

jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 09:38 PM   #8
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Okay, go to PC:/Documents/SH4/data/cfg.

You should see a folder that says SaveGames. Find the correct folder (look at time and date of the numbered folder) and click on it. There you should see a folder that says "Gameplay Settings". Click on it, notepad should open it up. Change the part that says LimitedFuel=true to LimitedFuel=false and save. Reload your game, should have unlimited fuel to get you home. Watch your fuel next time. lol

I assume you are running stock game? Range/speed settings are fubar in stock anyways.

Worth a try no?

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 06-03-21 at 12:47 AM.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-21, 10:27 PM   #9
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

get all the mattress covers out make a sail or grab a rope jump in and start swimming at about 1 knot war probly going to be over anyhow so chalk it up too a lesson learn slow it down and stop and refuel at like midway before patrol and after most pzs can go down too about 35% fuel and make it back