SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-27-20, 05:01 PM   #16
Fanders
Watch

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Default You got our support.

I don't understand the pace-panic over the game developement. I bought the game in an early state, and have been able to follow the developement from HMS Marulken to the latest version. This game is unique in its way to offer coop multiplayer, onboard in the same tube.

Once and awhile some patch comes up with new content, and I am thrilled every time! I don't care if it takes 6 months, or whatever longer. I have played dozents of early access games, and I know this is high quality material, and therefore well worth the wait.

Neal, would you please tell the dev guys that there is a group of fans stationed in Östergötland, Sweden. One of them is a technic high school teacher and takes every opportunity to teach the students about submarines. In doing so, he always recommend Wolfpack, as the obvious choice of digital educational platform. He may have an own wolfpack to command some day

Keep up the good work!
Fanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-20, 08:05 PM   #17
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Wow, that's so nice of you, thanks. I will make sure the devs hear about this.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-20, 09:26 PM   #18
Jonny-Dog
Sailor man

Downloads: 142

First of all, I apologize for my rudenes in previous posts. It happens when I have to much to drink. Not an excuse, but something I have to work with.

Now, the issues I have with the development...
The progress made since the release, is in my opinion minimal. Except from a few enhances/changes (bots being the biggest change), we have essentially the same game as when it was released.

Now, since I'm not a coder, I have no idea how much time it takes for one or two men.
But seeing the progress made by U-Boat Simulator, where the team until recently also consisted of one man, I have to wonder. The water dynamics/effects was coded in a few weeks, if I'm not mistaken.

What I would like to know is how many hours do Oscar/Einar put down every week in development? Is this their full time job or just a side project?

I mean, you can work 2-3 hours on the project every week and still justify the weekly friday update: "This week we have been working on the water..." Or is this their full time job, and really working every day on the project?

Regards,
Jonny-Dog
Jonny-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-20, 02:43 AM   #19
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny-Dog View Post
First of all, I apologize for my rudenes in previous posts. It happens when I have to much to drink. Not an excuse, but something I have to work with.

Hey, don't feel too bad. I do that too. The important thing is you recognize it.

Cheers!

Regards!
Old 11-28-20, 07:35 AM   #20
wangtze
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Dear Neal,

I will repeat my impression which I made on steam and it was the reason to ban me from Steam:

For me it's looks like a hobby project from 2 guys.

No need to ban me from this site, I already requested by mail to delete my user profile here, so please be so kind to do it now (and also all of my trolling posts so that nobody can see the developmet of the story).

So to speed up the deleting of my profile, please just do it, I would do it by myself but it seems thats not possible on this forum.

P.S.: Your so called "roadmap" isn't a roadmap, it's just a list of maybe upcoming features. A roadmap includes a estimated timeframe.

Last edited by wangtze; 11-28-20 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-28-20, 12:51 PM   #21
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangtze

So to speed up the deleting of my profile, please just do it
As you wish.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 06:11 AM   #22
ceh
Sailor man

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny-Dog View Post
Now, the issues I have with the development...
The progress made since the release, is in my opinion minimal. Except from a few enhances/changes (bots being the biggest change), we have essentially the same game as when it was released.
This is the bane of developer work. So, so much work that's "under the hood" (or below the bilge?) never gets appreciation (I'm lacking a better word now, not native, sorry - I don't mean that we as users need to praise that work or smth) that we (developers) often get criticized by end users for "not showing progress".

Please trust me when I say that such work is imperative, and it shows the benefits in the long run. Shortening (yes!) overall time to completion, improving stability etc. Look up "technical debt in software development" if you are interested, it might offer a new perspective.

It is beautiful that Neal seems to understand that, and lets the developers plot the course. From my professional experience as a developer, I can say that it's a blessing. Quite a few projects that I worked on suffered from the opposite. Rushing to release something, regardless of the state of it, never benefited the end user.

I do understand your concerns, one of which I'm not in the position to address (hours worked), but all I (we?) can do is have faith. If, in the end, it turns out I was naive, eh... won't be the first time. Nevertheless, I'm willing to try to be positive

Also, bear this in mind: we all paid 30€ or so for the game. How many of us? Not hundreds of us I think (btw, is that info publicly available @Onkel Neal?). I don't believe that the income generated from sales is enough to fund development that spans this much time. So, someone is in the red, in order for us to enjoy this game. We should appreciate that.
Old 11-29-20, 04:32 PM   #23
rohling
Swabbie

Downloads: 162

So far the game developers made everything thought out well. I can see the new Ocean interaction coming together nicely. It is maybe one of the tougher nuts to crack to get it look right. In the long run there is no need to complain, better do a great game then a rushed one full of buggy content and glitches.
rohling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-20, 02:14 AM   #24
Xaron
Ensign

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh View Post
This is the bane of developer work. So, so much work that's "under the hood" (or below the bilge?) never gets appreciation (I'm lacking a better word now, not native, sorry - I don't mean that we as users need to praise that work or smth) that we (developers) often get criticized by end users for "not showing progress".

Please trust me when I say that such work is imperative, and it shows the benefits in the long run. Shortening (yes!) overall time to completion, improving stability etc. Look up "technical debt in software development" if you are interested, it might offer a new perspective.

Oh that is soo true, thanks for that!.
Xaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 09:53 AM   #25
Sparkcat46
Swabbie

Downloads: 4
Default Best Immersion!

Devs are great! Game is Great! Look forward to the future, just hope they don't stop!

Sparkcat46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-20, 03:55 AM   #26
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

It takes time to facet a diamond .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-20, 01:47 PM   #27
stellaferox
Soundman

Downloads: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
It takes time to facet a diamond .
At the moment it looks more like the time it takes to create diamond
stellaferox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-20, 06:53 AM   #28
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellaferox View Post
At the moment it looks more like the time it takes to create diamond
LOL
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 04:23 PM   #29
kozel1
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb531 View Post
I just saw this thread and I was thinking....
At what point is it legitimate to start worrying and asking questions?
Good question! Star Citizen has been in development for 10 years. Do you think that's long? Short? Acceptable?

I also thought you were done with the questioning after opening numerous Steam discussion threads and the ones here.

Your expectations might differ from others.

Devs just put out a new update last week or a week before, with a roadmap.
They have no obligation to report to you nor anybody else in the public about the financial situation. The fact that they put out a fantastic water update makes me thing that they are fine.

I will let them work. And enjoy the game in a meantime. I spend $60 when I go out to a dinner with the spouse. $35 won't break the bank. But again, that's me.
Old 04-16-21, 07:28 AM   #30
Xaron
Ensign

Downloads: 0

Quote:
By their own words, the work has slowed because the virus means they cannot visit museums to study subs and other ships
Did they really say that? I mean having kids at home for home schooling for instance is quite some distracting stuff. So that covid lockdown can have quite some negative impact on plans.

Plus I know that things take a while to develop. Half a year passes by so quickly and looking back it might look like there is no progress. Even though it might look like that from an external point of view, quite a lot of internal stuff might have been cleared.

Quote:
Why are they hiring student programmers out of college if they have the money to hire a real full-time programmer?
Well it's quite tricky to hire a seasoned programmer full time currently. Especially with some time limited contract. And students could be even more enthusiastic. Maybe that's just the point here.
Xaron is offline   Reply With Quote