Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-14-10, 12:47 PM   #1
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Red Pill screenshots #7 - Bits and pieces

Another month, another round of screenshots from various aspects of the new air/naval wargame; Everything from satellite overlays to airbase ops to buddy-lazing:
http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=1218
Sunburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 04:53 PM   #2
Overkill
Frogman

Downloads: 128

It's looking really good!
Old 06-14-10, 06:50 PM   #3
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

Harpoon with whole world maps, textured land and elevations. It looks like H3 scenarios can be imported.
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 03:31 AM   #4
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pv- View Post
Harpoon with whole world maps, textured land and elevations.
Quite more than that. Red Pill is a clean-slate project that aims to transcend the limitations of existing legacy air/naval wargames.

Quote:
It looks like H3 scenarios can be imported.
-Pv-
Unfortunately this is not possible. Red Pill's internal object model has many differences from [what is publicly known about] Harpoon's object model.
In addition, the scenario file format of H3 is encrypted and its structure has never been published. So any direct conversion is impossible.

That said, one of the definite goals of Red Pill is a stellar improvement in the scenario-authoring experience. A lot of features and tools (some of which are shown in these screenshots) are aimed towards making the scenario author's life a lot easier.

The improvements in this regard have already been met enthusiastically by members of the Red Pill team who were previously A-list scenario creators in the H2/H3 community. Their feedback and experience is making a strong project even better.

The good times are ahead.
Old 06-15-10, 12:25 PM   #5
Soundman
Commodore

Downloads: 60

Thanks for sharing this news. I am looking forward to it's release, as that type of sim is right up my alley.

RVAH-9 RA-5C Vigilante at NAS Sanford, Fl 1966
The coolest plane few have heard of!
Soundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-10, 02:36 PM   #6
hellfish6
Seaman

Downloads: 23

I'm definitely interested. The scenario authoring tools sound excellent. The ability to use imagery is really fantastic too.

Will there be settings regarding training or readiness of forces?

I remember one of the things that irked me in H3 and JFC was outdated and outclassed aircraft taking on and often beating more advanced aircraft. I remember one scenario from H3 where a couple of Somali MiG-17s took out a dozen US Navy fighters, seemingly due to random die rolls and/or lack of micromanagement of a dozen F-4s on my part... how much of an issue will this be in RP?

How will arming planes work? Set loadouts? Can players pick and choose down to the individual platform level?

Any capability to model WX or MX conditions?

Will there be a demo/beta demo?

How moddable will it be? Can I add/build notional platforms in my database if I want to?

Any provision in the near or far term for 3D ship/plane/structure/etc models? Not important to me, but it'd be a nice "to have" sometime down the road.
hellfish6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 02:22 AM   #7
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfish6 View Post
I remember one of the things that irked me in H3 and JFC was outdated and outclassed aircraft taking on and often beating more advanced aircraft. I remember one scenario from H3 where a couple of Somali MiG-17s took out a dozen US Navy fighters, seemingly due to random die rolls and/or lack of micromanagement of a dozen F-4s on my part... how much of an issue will this be in RP?
Instances such the one you describe are fairly common in legacy wargames due to a combination of factors, such as:
* Absence of realistic kinematics (e.g. you shoot your BVR missile at me, I turn on a dime, insta-accelerate and insta-drop to the deck = I evade a missile I wouldn't be able to in RL)
* Absence of realistic sensor & weapon characteristics & limitations (e.g. I'm an F-111 going supersonic down in the weeds and a MiG-21 can detect and shoot me as easily as if I was a B-52 in the clear blue sky.... yeah right)
* Absence of common-sense AI in fighting priorities (note to F-14 jocks: When out of long-range AAMs, don't wait until you're out of Sidewinders and gun bullets, *head the hell back home*!)
* Simplified modelling of fixed & expendable countermeasures
* Ridiculously simplified air operations (any airbase can launch/recover dozens of aircraft in one go, and you cannot paralyze it by hitting its taxiways or parking spaces as in RL)

All of the above factors, and more, have been rectified in Red Pill and air confrontations are significantly more sophisticated and believable as a result. The little guy still has a chance, but this time not by ignoring the laws of physics.

Quote:
How will arming planes work? Set loadouts? Can players pick and choose down to the individual platform level?
Yes, and loadouts are more flexible now. You can, for example, load an aircraft with a strike loadout even if it's missing a Sidewinder or a fuel tank.

Quote:
Any capability to model WX or MX conditions?
Please elaborate.

Quote:
Will there be a demo/beta demo?
There will almost certainly be a public beta.

Quote:
How moddable will it be? Can I add/build notional platforms in my database if I want to?

Any provision in the near or far term for 3D ship/plane/structure/etc models? Not important to me, but it'd be a nice "to have" sometime down the road.
These are still TBD items.
Old 06-16-10, 01:27 PM   #8
hellfish6
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburn View Post
Instances such the one you describe are fairly common in legacy wargames due to a combination of factors, such as:
* Absence of realistic kinematics (e.g. you shoot your BVR missile at me, I turn on a dime, insta-accelerate and insta-drop to the deck = I evade a missile I wouldn't be able to in RL)
* Absence of realistic sensor & weapon characteristics & limitations (e.g. I'm an F-111 going supersonic down in the weeds and a MiG-21 can detect and shoot me as easily as if I was a B-52 in the clear blue sky.... yeah right)
* Absence of common-sense AI in fighting priorities (note to F-14 jocks: When out of long-range AAMs, don't wait until you're out of Sidewinders and gun bullets, *head the hell back home*!)
* Simplified modelling of fixed & expendable countermeasures
* Ridiculously simplified air operations (any airbase can launch/recover dozens of aircraft in one go, and you cannot paralyze it by hitting its taxiways or parking spaces as in RL)

All of the above factors, and more, have been rectified in Red Pill and air confrontations are significantly more sophisticated and believable as a result. The little guy still has a chance, but this time not by ignoring the laws of physics.
Sounds great. Too bad it doesn't sound like training will have an effect on combat, but your aerial combat system might very well make up for that.

Semi-related, do you model doctrines? Like some countries rely on ground control intercepts to direct aircraft, others are a little more flexible. Or the AI uses smaller missile boats inshore, where they might be harder to detect, instead of steaming them out into the open ocean.

Quote:
Yes, and loadouts are more flexible now. You can, for example, load an aircraft with a strike loadout even if it's missing a Sidewinder or a fuel tank.
Awesome, and with a very cool bonus for flexibility.

Quote:
Please elaborate.
Sorry - WX = weather, MX = maintenance. I was curious to know if/how weather affected gameplay (would an SS-N-22 be effective if the targets were steaming in a heavy sea state?) and if maintenance issues would affect platforms (i.e. one of your E-2s is getting an engine replacement and is not available for tasking, or a CIWS on a ship is broken and inoperable)
Quote:
There will almost certainly be a public beta.
Very cool!

Quote:
These are still TBD items.
I'm crossing my fingers for editable/expandable databases more than anything. I'd like to tinker with an LCS, for example, and see if they can be made useful. Just for my own amusement, I suppose.

I'm curious to know how ground combat might work. I realize it'll be abstracted at best, but can we launch LCACs from our Gators and land Marines with them? Use helicopters to transport SEAL teams?

Will maritime interdiction ops/ship boardings be modeled at all? I'm specifically thinking of Somali pirates boarding ships and the various navies boarding/inspecting Somali pirate ships. Might be interesting if you've got two RHIBs closing in on a dhow and shots are fired...
Old 06-16-10, 02:38 PM   #9
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Quote:
Semi-related, do you model doctrines? Like some countries rely on ground control intercepts to direct aircraft, others are a little more flexible. Or the AI uses smaller missile boats inshore, where they might be harder to detect, instead of steaming them out into the open ocean.
Yes, and we're stuffing all sorts of custom behaviors into them - use nukes or not, shoot only at confirm hostiles or shoot first and investigate later [a HUGE behavior difference], counter-SEAD evasion levels etc. If training as a discrete performance factor is eventually modeled, it will most probably be included as a doctrine option.

There is a specific aspect of our doctrine implementation that makes them extremely powerful... but that is probably worth an entire article by itself so best save it for then.

Quote:
Sorry - WX = weather, MX = maintenance. I was curious to know if/how weather affected gameplay (would an SS-N-22 be effective if the targets were steaming in a heavy sea state?) and if maintenance issues would affect platforms (i.e. one of your E-2s is getting an engine replacement and is not available for tasking, or a CIWS on a ship is broken and inoperable)
Weather - yes, and we're adding some things that no other comparable game has touched until now, such as grounding non-NAW capable aircraft (the sky is a lot less busy on nights and foul-weather days).
Maintenance - not much yet (except aircraft), but we have the hooks in place and will likely expand on it (priorities permitting).

Quote:
I'm curious to know how ground combat might work. I realize it'll be abstracted at best, but can we launch LCACs from our Gators and land Marines with them? Use helicopters to transport SEAL teams?
That's not so much about ground combat (which works, and it's a blast to watch) but rather units spawning other units, which is a bit more complex than it sounds. No promises but we want it too.

Quote:
Will maritime interdiction ops/ship boardings be modeled at all? I'm specifically thinking of Somali pirates boarding ships and the various navies boarding/inspecting Somali pirate ships. Might be interesting if you've got two RHIBs closing in on a dhow and shots are fired...
If/when we do implement this, it will almost certainly be more sophisticated than a 50% die roll (cough, cough).
Old 06-16-10, 03:35 PM   #10
Deamon
Commodore

How far off is this project from the finish line ?
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 05:02 PM   #11
Sunburn
Warfaresims

A set date is too far out to hammer down exactly. Too much depends on how much free time we can devote to development (we all have day jobs keeping us busy), which is wildly fluctuating. In addition, we don't want to set ourselves up to bust a release date expectation that we should have been smart enough to avoid in the first place. Missed deadlines have killed projects by the boatload and we don't want to be part of that story.

The related running poll in our forums shows that the overwhelming majority urges us to take our time and do it right rather than rush ahead. As long as this remains the dominant community voice we're happy to proceed as we are.
Old 06-17-10, 11:43 AM   #12
hellfish6
Seaman

It all sounds great. I look forward to it.
Old 06-17-10, 01:44 PM   #13
Deamon
Commodore

So, i guess it will still be some years. But is fine with me. Thanks for the info and i would of course urge you too to take your time. I do the same with my own project, it takes long but the results are so much better.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 04:10 PM   #14
hellfish6
Seaman

What about electronic warfare? In JFC it was pretty neutered - the EA-6Bs could only jam one or two targets at a time, and I don't think the ships were capable at all. Besides that, marking a jamming target was kind of a pain in the ass.

How will Red Pill handle electronic attack, electronic defense, home-on-jam weapons, ECCM, etc? And what about active and passive countermeasures?

Also, I seem to recall that the time period covered extends from 1965-2010. Is that right?
Old 06-18-10, 05:05 PM   #15
Sunburn
Warfaresims

Quote:
What about electronic warfare? In JFC it was pretty neutered - the EA-6Bs could only jam one or two targets at a time, and I don't think the ships were capable at all. Besides that, marking a jamming target was kind of a pain in the ass.
Re: the EA-6B limitation - it's not unreasonable. Even sophisticated OECM systems are limited in the number of sensors they can effectively jam concurrently, particularly if the EA targets are widely separated.

Quote:
How will Red Pill handle electronic attack, electronic defense, home-on-jam weapons, ECCM, etc? And what about active and passive countermeasures?
In one word, comprehensively.

Quote:
Also, I seem to recall that the time period covered extends from 1965-2010. Is that right?
Our current DBs span the 1950-2015+ timeframe. We may later extend the coverage on either side of the scale.