SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-12-15, 10:33 AM   #1
Dr. Merc
Seaman

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Placement of enemy warship magazines

This is a guide to the exact magazine locations of the large warships in Silent Hunter 4, v1.04. Since it (1) took a serious amount of time to do and (2) kinda got lost as just another link in my SH4 guide, I thought I'd call attention to it in its own thread, just in case some intrepid soul on Google does a search on the subject.

The magazine guide is here.

The main guide is here.

As a small side note, at the very end of the main guide is a link to the excellent WW II sub movie, 'Run Silent Run Deep' for your movie-going pleasure.
Dr. Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 10:41 AM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Why Dr Merc, is there any evidence that Japanese ships had access to any magazines at all? At the time Saturday Evening Post, Life, Woman's Illustrated, Time, Atlantic Monthly, none of these magazines had Japanese circulation at any time in the 1940s! I doubt that the Japanese warships would have had any women's mags on board at all. Yet you claim you have tracked down every single magazine.........hold it.......I have to take a call.

Yes? .............You really think........ and....... not printed magazines?........yeah?...........AMMUNITION magazines?.............well, maybe........but........

NEVER MIND!!!!!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 12:13 PM   #3
Dr. Merc
Seaman

Rock -

Actually, according to this May, 1943 edition of Readers Digress I have here, the Japanese admiralty made a special effort to keep their ships supplied with the latest in fashion magazines, including コスモポリタン (Cosmopolitan), 彼女が (Elle) and 流行 (Vogue). They tried to get プレイボーイ (Playboy) and 紳士四半期 (Gentlemen's Quarterly), but it was argued they weren't actually "fashion" magazines, and I suppose it was a valid point.

Furthermore, they-

Hey, wait a sec -- are you talking about AMMUNITION magazines? Jeez, how boring is THAT! Bunch of smelly gunpowder, plus all those picky officers never allow smoking around them, the sissies. I mean, what's life without a little risk? I personally like striking the head of a kitchen match on the tip of a 16" shell, just to make the point that I'm tougher than it is.

But back to those boring ammunition magazines for a sec (I particularly like "Ammo Daily" and "Big Bore Digest"), I thought it was interesting that all of them were in the forward part of the ship. Offhand, I would have figured they'd be behind the bridge, in the deepest part of the ship. But I suppose we have to figure the sleuths at UbiSoft did their homework. Unless, of course, they looked up "magazine" in their May, 1943 edition of Readers Digress and stumbled upon the fashion magazine compartment by mistake.

With those wild and crazy Romanians, who can tell?
Old 12-12-15, 12:32 PM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

No wonder the Japanese lost the war. They were distracted by all those magazines!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-15, 01:36 PM   #5
Dr. Merc
Seaman

And, given how (the first item) Japanese women are -- who can blame them? I mean, who can forget the incredible Jap pinup girls such as ベティ・グレイブル, ドロシー・ラムーア, and especially マリリンモンロー!

Last edited by Jimbuna; 12-13-15 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Link contained images of nudity
Old 12-16-15, 04:36 PM   #6
scubamatt
Mate

Downloads: 21

Just to be clear, when I am looking at these pics of the ship, is it the green line, or the black line, that I should be looking at for the point of aim/impact?
scubamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 05:24 PM   #7
Dr. Merc
Seaman

The darker line. The lighter green line is the initial bearing once you hit the 'L' key. I've updated the page to make it a bit clearer. Also, try to be roughly 90 degrees to the enemy ship, like in the pics, as more of an angle might affect the exact strike point.

Sic 'em, Tiger. :)
Old 12-16-15, 07:11 PM   #8
scubamatt
Mate

Downloads: 21

Thank you for posting this guide, I appreciate how much work goes into something like this.

I've gotten a one torp kill before on a Mogami, and assumed I got lucky with a magazine hit, but have been unable to repeat that feat (yet).
scubamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 08:22 PM   #9
Dr. Merc
Seaman

I think it might have been a docked Mogami that started this whole thing. Thinking that if they had magazines at all, they'd be behind the bridge, that's where I was putting most of the torps. Then, for whatever reason, I put one up forward, and KA-WHOOMP! Up she blew and down she went. Then I think it was a carrier that went down with the first torp next, and that's when I went on the hunt. A few months and endless harbor raiding later and the guide was mostly done. I think the Maya cruiser was the only one I didn't catch the first time around. All in all, a fairly entertaining project. Glad you're enjoying and thanks for the kind words.

Tags
hunter, magazines, silent