SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-06-21, 02:05 PM   #2836
1Patriotofmany
XO

Downloads: 92
Uploads: 0
Default Screen that showed japanese convoy routes?

I came across a screen somehow that showed the Japanese convoy routes and a short wave radio. For the life of me I can't find that key that brings up the screen. I looked through the key chart, still can't find it. Anybody know which key off hand?
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 02:29 PM   #2837
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
I came across a screen somehow that showed the Japanese convoy routes and a short wave radio. For the life of me I can't find that key that brings up the screen. I looked through the key chart, still can't find it. Anybody know which key off hand?
Is under the icon that looks like a movie studio style camera... that icon is found in a couple of the HUD views, such as while in the command room, for 1... clicking on it will show a new set of buttons of which there is 1. A radio icon & the 2nd, which is a record player 1... in addition to the cam view buttons, Free cam & next view & previous view.

Hope this info helps..

M. M.

As for a dedicated 'hot key' on the keys... not 100% sure on this, so don't quote Me on it... but, don't think there is any keyboard shotcut for the radio or the record player...
Old 03-06-21, 03:16 PM   #2838
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
... on another note, I saw above that the Hiyo Class CVs were seen having a tea-break,I have ran this model in a single mission and can confirm it's A-OK in-game, so another unit close by has effected it. We have already tracked and fixed serveral JPN sea units..
That scoundrel was one of your first finds, and in among the first set of fixes...

Quote:
As near as I can tell, there are no key presses or combinations that work for the shortwave nor the gramophone. You are left with the menu buttons:

which would be the 2nd and 3rd buttons from the left, respectively, once on the proper "page", or else by use of the active highlights found in the radio room of some boats:

click on that shortwave radio, and you get

There is a phonograph down by the radioman's left elbow on the desk, and that would take you to the conversion chart / gramophone - unless you use an add-in mod to alter that... Other boats (Porpoise, Narwhal) have the shortwave in an overhead rack in the Control Room:

which, clicking on it takes you to the same "page":

The gramophone is still in the radio room of those boats. We'll have to see about adding a "hot-key" combo for those maybe...

Edit: Whoops! while I'm building my "show and tell", MM already posted! lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 04:29 PM   #2839
1Patriotofmany
XO

Downloads: 92

Thanks a bunch guys!
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 04:30 PM   #2840
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Edit: Whoops! while I'm building my "show and tell", MM already posted! lol
No worries, ol' chap..

you did add in the slide show that I didn't.. as well as filled out a few rough patches.. all in all, a collaborative effort...

M. M.

Old 03-06-21, 04:32 PM   #2841
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Thanks a bunch guys!

Glad the info was of assistance..

Fair winds, smooth seas...

& Good huntin'

M. M.

Old 03-06-21, 04:40 PM   #2842
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Default Riding a bit high in the water, eh?

My crew and I were going about, fulfilling our orders, when these two DD's decided that they wanted to injure and/or seriously maim my men when i noticed that they were riding a bit high in the water....showing a bit more under the plimsoll line than they might. What do you think?
one is an Otori and one is a Matsu. or maybe it is the other way around.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 06:40 PM   #2843
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1105
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
My crew and I were going about, fulfilling our orders, when these two DD's decided that they wanted to injure and/or seriously maim my men when i noticed that they were riding a bit high in the water....showing a bit more under the plimsoll line than they might. What do you think?

Perhaps they used all their depth charges on you, so lightened their load..
Old 03-06-21, 07:12 PM   #2844
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post

First of all, a message just came in from the Admiral: "You tell that skipper that he apparently was NOT following orders! First of all, it is not within the parameters of the Department of the US Navy Regulations to alter equipment in the manner described that is placed under a skipper's care for use against the enemy. The removal and / or modifying of indicator icons by use of menu_1025_768.ini or any other tool is expressly forbidden. Second, your radio log is not to regulation dimensions and is improperly formatted. It also partially blocks the view of the pretty boats. You are not to alter your equipment without previous permission. You put yourself, your crew and your boat at risk by abuse of these regulations and specifications. You also put yourself at risk for charges and courts-martial procedures. I do know a good JAG... Point 3: your report is incomplete and lacks date, time and location parameters..."

But seriously, that does almost look like a graphics glitch with your Silent Running and Underwater notification icons down by the bow wake of the closer DD - whichever it is... Had you shelled-out to Windows any? A Save, Exit, Re-Load can "fix" those issues. If you moved them there yourself, no biggie. Now, are you anywhere near a "shallows" area that the grouping maybe have traversed when you were roughly 8-10 nautical miles from them? ie: After spawning (radar or sonar detection), but just prior to rendering (visual detection)? If a group renders while going through a "shallows", they can "bounce" like that. Or, if one of the ships has a bad configuration, that can be very "contagious" and affect both ships. So give us location and date, and we'll track those bad boys down, and put some bad (er - good) text editing on them and their grouping!

Old 03-06-21, 08:18 PM   #2845
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Perhaps they used all their depth charges on you, so lightened their load..
lol. have you been spying on me? yes, these bastages inflicted damage on us for the first time in a long while...but how did you know that?
methinks something foul is afoot.

LAA enabled
Old 03-06-21, 08:20 PM   #2846
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I do know a good JAG.
yeah, i'll bet you do.

LAA enabled
Old 03-06-21, 08:22 PM   #2847
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166
Default Crush depth

I have tried fortus several times and never survive very long..I need to know the crush depth of the American subs in order to continue..Any help??
Old 03-06-21, 08:32 PM   #2848
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
But seriously, that does almost look like a graphics glitch with your Silent Running and Underwater notification icons down by the bow wake of the closer DD - whichever it is... Had you shelled-out to Windows any? A Save, Exit, Re-Load can "fix" those issues. If you moved them there yourself, no biggie.
that is purposeful.
i expand the orders box and move to where you see it every time.
i also move the icon tray to sit on top of the orders.
i do that so that my eyes have to focus on only one area to get all of that info.
think of it as acting like a HUD.

Quote:
Now, are you anywhere near a "shallows" area that the grouping maybe have traversed when you were roughly 8-10 nautical miles from them? ie: After spawning (radar or sonar detection), but just prior to rendering (visual detection)? If a group renders while going through a "shallows", they can "bounce" like that. Or, if one of the ships has a bad configuration, that can be very "contagious" and affect both ships. So give us location and date, and we'll track those bad boys down, and put some bad (er - good) text editing on them and their grouping!
no, this battle took place in the middle of Nowhere. no shallows to spawn in.
location, date, time.....October 19, 1944, 1130-ish, Somewhere in the East China Sea. if you asked me for a SWAG, it would be that this TF is 44b_Jap_TaskForce_002.

i think this is a ship config issue, but that is only my opinion. i have that opinion because you can see most of their screws and rudder. she should sit lower in the water. IMHO

LAA enabled
Old 03-06-21, 08:35 PM   #2849
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
I have tried fortus several times and never survive very long..I need to know the crush depth of the American subs in order to continue..Any help??
look into the Subname.zon file. it is one of the last parameters.
this is where it all happens.
Remember: the measurements are in meters.

LAA enabled
Old 03-06-21, 09:11 PM   #2850
propbeanie

The S-Boats are "tested" for 200 feet, but dependent upon damage, might not make it to PD, so the damage sustained will change these figures, but:
  1. S-18 - 115.0m = roughly 377.3 feet * Test Depth= 200 feet
  2. S-42 - a clone, same as S-18
  3. Narwhal - 165.0m = 541.3 feet * Test Depth= 300 feet
  4. Porpoise - 167.0m = 547.9 feet * Test Depth= 250 feet
  5. Salmon - 176.7m = rougly 579.7 feet * Test Depth= 250 feet
  6. Sargo - 178.7m = roughly 586.2 * Test Depth= 250 feet
  7. Tambor - 180.0m = 590.5 feet * Test Depth= 250 feet
  8. Gar - clone of Tambor, same
  9. Gato - 185.0m = 606.9 feet * Test Depth= 300 feet (some sources say 350)
  10. Balao - 250.0m = 820.2 feet * Test Depth= 400 feet
  11. Tench - 280.0m = 918.6 feet * Test Depth= 400 feet (some sources say 600)
The crush depth info is found in the zon files for the subs. The cfg file is ~supposed~ to match, but not all of them do. The "test depth" is from online, and subject to the usual internet warnings about "accuracy". Also, final caveate: no two boats are exactly alike.YMMV - Note that while "Test Depths" might increase in real life, the crush depths go down, the older the boat is, and allows less leeway.

Now, all that said - just remember that you do not have to exceed the crush (crash) depths above to sustain damage. There is a "speed" with which you incur damage, and a set amount of hit points for going beyond, but you might start taking damage above that crush depth, boat & speed dependent. You can usually figure twice the test depth is how deep a new US sub could generally safely go. Note that the Tench in the game is not like that. As previously mentioned, just a small amount of hull damage can adversely effect the survivability of your submarine beneath the surface, just as in real life. It is difficult to know when you have exceeded that "line", until you dive and then die... as you apparently already know.

Edit: Again, I are too slow!!! lol
2nd Edit: Forgot to mention, that successfully diving to the actual listed crush depth does "damage" your boat, and subsequent dives are not able to go as deep, until you get back to home port, and "repairs" are made. Just like in the SeaTrial missions, which came from TMO, if you take your boat down until you see signs of failure in the conn, and do not immediately come back and FAST... you might just sink right there. Also, any further diving is a risk to just get down to test depth now. Once you go back in from patrol though, that "damage" is repaired and your boat should be good to go once again.

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-06-21 at 09:50 PM. Reason: KaleunMarco comes in First!!! - and additionals