SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-08-17, 09:58 PM   #1
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default New Playable Subs & More

The New Playable Subs & More Mod

This mod aims to add new playable subs to the game, along with other tweaks and changes.

Simply unzip the override folder into Steam\SteamApps\common\Cold Waters\ColdWaters_Data\StreamingAssets and then run the game.

IMPORTANT: Each time you download an updated copy of the mod, make sure you completely delete your old override folder before installing the new one. DO NOT OVERWRITE EXISTING FILES!

Mod Moved To Github - 12/21/2017
Because the developers of this mod are constantly making changes to the files, adding new stuff and fixing bugs, we're moving the official public download version of the mod to Github directly. This means that Github will now be the only place to download the latest version of the mod. This makes it much easier for everyone to have the latest version of the mod, because packaging and uploading separate public releases is not only a pain and a lot of work, but also causes the mod to end up out of date the instant the developers change something.

Please use the link below to go to Github to download the latest version of the mod by clicking the green "Clone or Download" button and choosing "Download ZIP".

You can see the latest updates to the mod on the Github page, listed next to the override folder, along with how recently the mod itself was changed. If you'd like to see the history of all recent changes, you can click the "### Commits" button right below the title text of the page and you'll see a list of every change submitted to the mod, which you can click on their numbers and see any notes left.

I know this isn't the ideal way to set this up, but packaging and creating public releases is very time consuming, which is why you haven't seen any new releases lately yet the mod has been updated constantly on Github. Making this change will make it much easier for everyone to have the latest updates to the mod much faster. I'd recommend checking the page about once a week for updates.

GitHub Download Link: http://github.com/CaptainX3/CW-Playable-Subs (Download the latest version of the mod by clicking the green "Clone or Download" button and choosing "Download ZIP".)

If you'd like to talk to me directly, the best way is to join the CW Discord server here: https://discord.gg/caD9q9c

Last edited by CaptainX3; 07-04-18 at 11:59 AM.
CaptainX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 10:31 PM   #2
Stardog765
Seaman

Downloads: 19

Great work! This community is all over this game. I am so happy to see that.
Stardog765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 12:43 AM   #3
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Great work!

Any chance that we would see other fast attack boats like Victor-III or Sierra-I?
Old 06-09-17, 07:08 AM   #4
gord96
Commodore

Downloads: 57

Looks good!

Are you still an American in the campaign sinking Russian ships or do you start from a Russian port?

Thanks!
gord96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 08:31 AM   #5
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Great work!

Any chance that we would see other fast attack boats like Victor-III or Sierra-I?
Oh yes, definitely. I don't know if we wanna make ALL subs playable, because then selecting your sub at the start of a mission would be really tedious LOL.

I would definitely like to add the Victor III and the Sierra. Might add the Delta IV to complement the Typhoon for those who want to drive SSBNs.

The developer has released the coding for VLS systems, and it has one small bug now that I believe they're looking into. It is working, but with a side effect that is a problem LOL. Once they get the VLS system working, I'd like to add an Oscar class SSGN with a VLS system with a bunch of guided missiles.

Once I finish with the classes, I want to try my hand at mission creation. I haven't attempted it yet, but if I can get how it works, I'm pretty decent at mission design. I'd kill for a graphical editor though LOL

Quote:
Looks good!

Are you still an American in the campaign sinking Russian ships or do you start from a Russian port?

Thanks!
Right now you're still an American, until either I or someone else can make a Russian campaign. That's a much longer process than making a single mission I think, it would take me some time to learn how it works

New Playable Subs & More - A Mod For Cold Waters

https://github.com/CaptainX3/CW-Playable-Subs

"We'll settle this the old Navy way... the first guy to die loses!"
Old 06-09-17, 11:38 AM   #6
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Won't it be problematic to model soviet subs AShMs b/c there are no models?
Old 06-09-17, 02:35 PM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainX View Post

Once I finish with the classes, I want to try my hand at mission creation. I haven't attempted it yet, but if I can get how it works, I'm pretty decent at mission design. I'd kill for a graphical editor though LOL

Right now you're still an American, until either I or someone else can make a Russian campaign. That's a much longer process than making a single mission I think, it would take me some time to learn how it works
I definitely want to see mission packs for this game.

You are now cleared for mod uploads. And thanks!
Old 06-09-17, 08:01 PM   #8
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
Won't it be problematic to model soviet subs AShMs b/c there are no models?
It would unless someone has the models for them. I'm not a modeler LOL. I could substitute with TLAM/TASM models in the meantime, but I figure someone's gonna make a major mod at some point like the ones done for Sub Command and Dangerous Waters and such.

Old 06-09-17, 08:02 PM   #9
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
I definitely want to see mission packs for this game.

You are now cleared for mod uploads. And thanks!
Thank you

Old 06-09-17, 08:17 PM   #10
Badger343rd
Loader

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 3
Default Thanks for doing this...

Thanks for doing this...I was playing around with the HUD and made my Alpha look like a dangerous waters interface. Heres a pic.The tabs are pasted on this pic to show them all.
Badger343rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 08:23 PM   #11
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

NICE! Not bad at all!

I love how moddable the game is in general.

Old 06-09-17, 11:41 PM   #12
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Latest Update: June 9, 2017

- Playable Los Angeles 688i class with functioning VLS system added
- Playable Oscar class with functioning VLS system added (VLS uses US missiles since there aren't any Russian ones modeled in the game)
- Playable Victor 3 class added
- Playable Foxtrot class added
- Mk-48 ADCAP torpedo for the 688i added
- Changed the Russian weapon icons around where they make a bit more sense
- All Russian subs can now equip all available Russian weapons
- Added the new classes to all single missions and as campaign options
- Hopefully fixed an issue with wires always breaking with the Test-71 torpedo (I need help testing this, I'm not 100% sure the fix is working)

Yes, I am aware that there is another mod out there that adds new LA classes along with VLS and the Mk-48 ADCAP. That's all well and good, but I've designed my own versions of both of these and included them in this mod because I wanted to. Nothing was copied or stolen from the other mod.

Old 06-10-17, 06:00 AM   #13
Thresher
Sparky

Downloads: 20

Oscar starts with 4 Test-71's loaded. It's indicator shows -4(4). Same with 688(i). She starts with 4 Mk-48's loaded and an indicator of -4(4). All other soviet subs are fine.

If you unload all the torps, it resets the counter properly.

I'm loosing the wire about 25% of the time on the Test-71's.... I think that is the game default (any submariner think this is a tad high?)

Last edited by Thresher; 06-10-17 at 06:50 AM.
Thresher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-17, 08:15 AM   #14
CaptJodan
A-ganger

Downloads: 26

Really enjoying your work CaptainX. Thanks for getting out of the gate with the mods. And thanks for the devs for being so mod friendly. I hope one day we can add additional units, but for now, this is still providing even more fun for the game.
CaptJodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-17, 08:58 AM   #15
CaptainX3
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresher View Post
Oscar starts with 4 Test-71's loaded. It's indicator shows -4(4). Same with 688(i). She starts with 4 Mk-48's loaded and an indicator of -4(4). All other soviet subs are fine.

If you unload all the torps, it resets the counter properly.

I'm loosing the wire about 25% of the time on the Test-71's.... I think that is the game default (any submariner think this is a tad high?)
I managed to implement a workaround to this bug by adjusting the order of the weapons loadout and then adding 4 more of the weapon the game keeps taking away. That should fix it temporarily, in theory. The devs have stated that the VLS fix is coming in the next update, so I'll be able to recode and make it all work properly when that happens.

I am unable to fix the issue reported with the Oscar's planes moving in the opposite direction they're supposed to. That's coded somewhere outside the current files that can be modified.

The devs stated on Steam that the wires are, in fact, set to break 25% of the time. Most responses to that post said they thought that was really high, so it may also be addressed in the upcoming patch. I would think somewhere around 10% or maybe even 5% is more reasonable.