SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-07-20, 11:08 AM   #1
suitednate
Planesman

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0
Default manual targeting....bug?

Just picked up this game and it seems pretty cool so far.

I have extensive knowledge of manual targeting processes from extensively playing SH3, SH4, and Operation Monsun (SH4).

I have not downloaded the TDC mod yet and am just using the vanilla manual targeting at the moment.....

I plug in all the information and it seems alot of my torpedo shots are NOT going where they are supposed to be going...

Also, the AOB input seems to show the wrong course for the target ship in many instances after hitting the "Set" button.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!
suitednate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-20, 08:22 AM   #2
Topo65
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitednate View Post

Also, the AOB input seems to show the wrong course for the target ship in many instances after hitting the "Set" button.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

Same error here with AOB dial. Try entering the target course manually in the target data box. And don't forget that to get the target's speed correctly with the timer, you must be at a very low own speed or stopped.

Topo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-20, 04:40 PM   #3
suitednate
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo65 View Post
Same error here with AOB dial. Try entering the target course manually in the target data box. And don't forget that to get the target's speed correctly with the timer, you must be at a very low own speed or stopped.

I definitely always go to full stop when using the chronometer.

I downloaded the TDC mod To correct for the aob problems.....however.....I seem to be hitting targets with the 44 knot torpedo speed settings but something is still wrong when I shoot with 40 or 30 knot torpedo settings. Always seem to miss.
Old 10-09-20, 09:18 AM   #4
Topo65
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 382

Are you setting the same speed for torpedo in TDC and in the sim launch panel?

Topo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-20, 01:22 PM   #5
suitednate
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo65 View Post
Are you setting the same speed for torpedo in TDC and in the sim launch panel?

Yes I am...😕
Old 10-17-20, 02:09 AM   #6
Backscuttle
A-ganger

Downloads: 108

Hi. I have just recently come back to Uboat after the very buggy release. I play/use version B127 with a few mods of which TDC is one.
I couldn`t help but notice this topic about a solution. I too was (and still am) scratching my head over the course setting.
Firstly has hardcore aiming mode been selected? After you select `new game` you will see a preference screen .This means that all solutions have to be put in manually and the crew no longer do it.
After that is done and when in game and you have locked a target, you bring up the course tool. Now in my case the tool is different to what it was when I first played, it no longer has the white strip over the disc. I have port/starboard degrees and a pointer.
The idea with the original tool was to move the ship icon inside it to match the image that you see through the scope, ie if target is moving left to right and the bow is neither pointing towards or away from you then that is how you would move the `wheel` inside the tool to mimic that.
Now, with my tool, I`m basically inputting what I believe is the angle off the bow as viewed from the scope. I back this up by using the map and getting the AoB and then inputting that. And yes, I get what appears to be some strange number in degrees in the course tool. It is green so I assume it`s ok!
I don`t think it`s the ACTUAL course the target is following. I was assuming that if I had worked out the ships course from the map, ie 45deg NE , and enter that it would show 45 deg somewhere in the course tool. But it doesn`t work like that. (I think it computes the course from your AoB).
After I have gathered all info, (speed, range, cse), I input into the TDC as well.
At the bottom of MY particular course tool there is a green bar which fills and shows a percentage. I am thinking that this is my solution probability. So far I have had success with targeting so I must be doing something right!
As for torp speeds just check the type of torp in the tube. I made the mistake of setting everything up to fire a 44kn torp when it was a T2 and can only do 30kn ! Took me a while to figure out why I missed.
I still like to use the old fashioned method, (as well as the TDC mod), with a few simple mathematics. If all are set up correctly, when I look through my scope at desired firing angle all should line up in the tdc.
I apologise if this is going over things that you already know.
Backscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-20, 01:24 PM   #7
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backscuttle View Post
after the very buggy release.
I feel it is important to point out that the game has never been "released" ie - it has not "gone gold" to borrow the phrase.

what has happened is, it has been provided to fund raising backers free of charge and to the general public at a very discounted price if the buyer wishes to participate in playing and help squash beta bugs.

it is extremely IMPORTANT for everyone to realize that if you are curently playing this game... you are a beta tester for all intents and purposes.
you are not playing the game... you're playing what they are developing as they develop it. thats why a patch is getting released every 30-90 days on average. they are identifying bugs, finding things wrong and incorrect and trying to fix them based off YOUR reports to them

Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of folks who have downloaded this game either didnt know that, or worse they just didnt care - they paid their hard earned cash thinking this is a final product when in fact this whole time they are supposed to be commenting on the steam page and saying whats wrong, whats right, when and where a bug is encountered etc.

I have to give the dev team credit because, as they continue to complete the development of this work in progress, they are quick to address things that are laid out before them from the testers (players).

as to the original post, there is a fatal flaw when determining the speed of the target. It exists in Uboat, it exists in SHIII SHIV and SHV... by tracking the time it takes for the target to cross the cross hairs of your sub and using that time to determine target speed - this method is only ever 100% correct when you are looking at the target from a near perfect 90° angle.

the more acute or obtuse the angle of observation, the greater the parilax error associated with this method of speed calculation. this is often the reason torpedoes miss ahead or astern of a target, is because your speed estimate was gathered from some very small or very greate angle away from perfect 90°

because it is not always possible to line yourself up perfectly perpindicular to the target, as a rule of thumb i always subtract one knot if very much less than 90° viewing angle, and i add one knot if greater by much. This results in a hit almost all of the time. even with AOB being a guess based off view through the periscope.

there is a TDC mod which was developed in conjuction with B127 patch, it is not forward compatible with B128. The TDC mod turns the game into a whole other animal on par with SHIII, the modder who developed it is feverishly working on updating his TDC mod (which is amazing by the way) to bring it into compatibility with B128. When playing with his TDC, i almost never missed a shot unless the torepedo was a dud or a snapshot or i just endeted data incorrectly. I would suggest the above mentioned adding or subtracting one knot, not firing at ranges outside 1000m and downloading the TDC mod the moment it goes live for the current release.