Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 07-16-07, 12:09 PM   #1
Stryker412
Bosun

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0
Default FSX

I just got this and it's pretty good. First ever flight sim for me.

I was just curious if anyone can recommend a good site that has plane skins (ie. US Air, Quantas, etc).

Also, what are some good scenery upgrades? Someone had mentioned Ultimate Terrain X.

Lastly, I saw somewhere they had a Space Shuttle that you can just ride and not fly, anyone have anything like that?
Old 07-16-07, 12:49 PM   #2
Weigh-Man
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 18

This sight has some good freebies, most of the sights that support FSX etc you have to pay a subscription.

http://flyawaysimulation.com/

I would also make sure you download Service Pack 1 for FSX also, it improves performance by quite a bit
Weigh-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-07, 08:23 PM   #3
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

Best FS site for freebie stuff is without doubt: www.avsim.com

Chock
Old 07-17-07, 08:23 AM   #4
Stryker412
Bosun

I downloaded a Qantas skin last night from flyaway. It looks pretty good. The detail in Sydney is damn good. You can see the Opera House in the lower left corner.

Old 07-20-07, 03:38 PM   #5
Stryker412
Bosun

Anyone know a good tutorial for using GPS Auto Pilot? I'd like to learn how to do a long distance flight in a 747 or something similar.
Old 07-20-07, 04:01 PM   #6
Chock
Sea Lord

You might want to try this:

http://www.fs2crew.com/product12.htm

It's not free of course, but it is geared towards getting the best out of the default FSX B747. The PDF that comes with it will tell you a reasonably accurate set of procedures for flying the default FS 747 'by the book' as it were, but bear in mind that the default FS B747's avionics are much simplified in comparison to most of the payware airliners that are available. Nevertheless, as an introduction to that kind of thing, it's a good choice.

The magazine 'PC Pilot' has been running a series over its past few issues covering how to operate the systems on board the PMDG Boeing 747, but since the PMDG 747 is for FS9 only at the moment, that's not a great deal of use to you I guess, unless you adapt them for your needs.

Other alternatives include reading the FSX tutorials and doing the lessons included with the simulator, but some of them are a bit dull, even if they are quite educational, another option would be to join a virtual airline, most of which have tutorials for their pilots, a lot of the VA tutorials can be had by none members too, here is one worth a look (one of the oldest of the VAs):

www.flywestwind.com

Chock
Old 07-21-07, 12:18 AM   #7
Stryker412
Bosun

Anyone know where I can get a list of what cities are "high detail" in the game?
Old 07-21-07, 09:30 AM   #8
Chock
Sea Lord

You can get a list right here...

The FSX De Luxe Edition list of detailed airports includes:

Amsterdam Schiphol,
Anchorage,
Auckland,
Beijing,
Boston,
Chicago,
Copenhagen,
Dallas,
Denver,
Detroit,
Frankfurt,
Helsinki,
Hong Kong,
Kill Devil Hills (Kitty Hawk),
Las Vegas,
London Heathrow,
LA,
Madrid Barajas,
Mexico City,
Miami,
Minneapolis,
Narita,
New York JFK,
Oshkosh,
Oslo Gardermoen,
Charles de Gaulle,
Phoenix Sky Harbor,
Rio,
Rome Fiumicino,
Salt Lake City,
Seattle,
Seoul,
Lamber St. Louis,
St. Martin (Netherlands Antilles),
Stockholm,
Sydney,
Taipei,
Toronto,
Vancouver,
Washington DC.

The standard version has non-detailed versions of:
Boston,
Detroit,
Minneapolis,
St. Louis,
Toronto
The airports are still there, with correct runways and taxiways, but are much more basic.

Chock
Old 07-21-07, 09:40 AM   #9
Stryker412
Bosun

Excellent thank you Chock.
Old 07-21-07, 01:30 PM   #10
Chock
Sea Lord

You are welcome, incidentally, just noticed that you asked about the FSX Space Shuttle - here it is:

http://www.captainsim.com/products/s001/

Chock
Old 07-21-07, 02:11 PM   #11
Stryker412
Bosun

Ouch $50 US?! These add-ons are a little ridiculous with pricings.
Old 07-21-07, 04:39 PM   #12
Chock
Sea Lord

Yup some add-ons are pricey, so you have to kind of cherry pick the ones you want, and it's often a good idea to take a look around to see if you can pay less somewhere else.

But if I was some kind of mega-space shuttle fan, then being able to fly the shuttle around whenever I wanted to for about for 25 quid (UK equivalent), would sound like pretty good value to me. And apparently you can do quite a lot with the Shuttle in this add on, I remember reading a review of it in a magazine about a month ago and they rated it quite highly.

I guess like most things, you get what you pay for, and that's the real beauty of Flight Simulator, in that you can add whatever you prefer to it to make it your own. And even if exactly what you want is not available, then you can make it yourself quite easily, so if you wanted to put your own house in FS, you could do it without too much difficulty.

Chock
Old 07-21-07, 05:20 PM   #13
Stryker412
Bosun

Looks great but it's a bummer you can't launch.
Old 07-22-07, 04:57 PM   #14
Stryker412
Bosun

I have an issue that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I have a pretty powerful computer and the graphics look great, but the meshes aren't loading until I'm right on top of the area. I have my Level of detail area set to large. Last night we flew over the Grand Canyon and I was not too far from it and the canyon walls were very smooth and didn't look fully loaded. Here's a screenshot.

Here are my settings:

I had my texture mesh resolution and texture res set all the way to the right when I took those screens. Someone said to lower it so the PC isn't working too hard and I saw no change.
Old 07-22-07, 05:38 PM   #15
Chock
Sea Lord

This is usually a mip-mapping issue, what is happening is that your graphics are using the smaller mip-maps and staying on them until you get very close. It was supposed to have been fixed by the patch, but it doesn't seem to have been as far as my experience of the patched version of FSX gos. But...
If you are having problems with this, turning mip-mapping off or messing around with some of the FSX anti-aliasing options should sort it.

BTW, just in case if you don't know what mip-mapping is: Mip-mapping is a method to speed up your computer by using multiple textures at different sizes. How this works is the original texture file of (for example) an aeroplane in the sim, will actually have about four versions of the texture in different sizes, and when your plane is very far away, it will use the small one to display your aeroplane's textures. In this way it uses a bit less memory and processing power to display it, and it (theoretically) should look better at a distance without everything looking razor sharp, as it would do up close, which is the main reason for it. Initially, a mip-mapped image will take up more RAM, because it loads several versions of the same texture, but once they are in, it will speed things up if you have enough RAM.

Chock