Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 02-03-10, 09:07 PM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
This sucker has a million switches and they all do something.
For a moment I was tempted to make that my new sig.
Old 02-03-10, 09:36 PM   #17
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Haha, don't bother, I'm famous for being a noob in flight sims
Old 02-03-10, 11:20 PM   #18
Shearwater
Captain

Downloads: 27

I have this one http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Extre...5257071&sr=1-1.
I got it because I was looking for something with a twist handle, and I quite like it. Good quality so far (though I don't use it excessively). Some might find it a bit stiff though.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-10, 05:51 AM   #19
weeksatsea
Watch

Downloads: 31

Hi Guys . Excuse the high level of noobishness - I'm considering buying RoF and a joystick .

I don't know if pedals are necessary . From reading the thread it seems twisting the stick replaces the pedal action. Is that right ?

Could I handle RoF with just a stick ? Thanks for any advice .
weeksatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-10, 08:27 AM   #20
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I do not know RoF, but I used to have a Sidewinder Pro stick years ago, before I got pedals. Used the twisting grip as pedal replacement in Flight Simulator and IL-2. It simply lacked the needed precision to aim shots precisely. In fact that handicap was what made me buying pedals back then.

A twisting stick should be considered a provisional solution only, I think. It'S no full replacement for pedals.
Old 02-11-10, 08:45 AM   #21
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Actually I have been flying with a twist handle for years and got used to it. There is no accuracy deficiency in my opinion. But that is just like Force Feedback. Some say it's a must have others say it's unnecessary and just throws off your aim. If I was you I would start with a twist handle simply because it's the cheapest solution if you feel like that isn't enough then you can still get the more expansive pedals.
Old 02-11-10, 04:17 PM   #22
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

A drawback in those twist joysticks IMHO is that you get used to fly like that, twisting it in almost every maneuver to compensate, accentuate, etc, and if you like flying and go for pedals later, you have lots of bad habits.

My experience is that a good quality, solid joystick with throttle and then a pedal set is the best combination for less money.
Old 02-11-10, 04:56 PM   #23
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

@ Amazon.com CH Products Pro Rudder Pedals $100.00 New

2yr Warrenty

Free Shipping You won't beat that anywhere.

Buy thru SubSim also.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 12:04 AM   #24
weeksatsea
Watch

Ok I sourced a cyborg evo second hand for a good price.

Its my first flight sim so I'll try it out, and If i'm completely hooked I'll look at pedals down the line. I'm sure I can break any habits if I put my mind to it.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-27-10, 06:32 AM   #25
weeksatsea
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
A drawback in those twist joysticks IMHO is that you get used to fly like that, twisting it in almost every maneuver to compensate, accentuate, etc, and if you like flying and go for pedals later, you have lots of bad habits.

My experience is that a good quality, solid joystick with throttle and then a pedal set is the best combination for less money.
Edit ; sir you were right !!

I just realized that my driving wheel pedals can work in ROF . (Forehead slap)

So this evening I used pedals for the first time with my Albatros. What a difference. Now I'm really flying. Might have been the Cyborg Evo twist action - very stiff . I was fighting it all the way. Now with pedals it is a real pleasure to fly, and I do need to undo those bad habits.

Better late than never.
Old 03-10-10, 01:26 AM   #26
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151

Default A bit late but...

My Sidewinder FF 2 has received a bit of abused and the FF just broke. The stick itself still works but there's no more "spring" tension to it and even though it's the most precise stick in the world, I decided I had to buy a new stick.

So I went for the Saitek CyborgX as it was less than 40 euros. I expected it to be decent and went for it mainly for the dual throttles. However I had no idea I'd just bought the best laptop stick ever made.
- detachable stick
- folding base
- light as a feather

I don't know why they haven't advertised these features! And these are all on top of the 12 buttons, 2 throttles, trim wheel (actually 24 buttons,4 throttles and 2 trim wheels with the SHIFT button pressed). The shape of the stick can be customized very easily. The best feature is the adjustable length of the stick. This basically makes the spring feel lighter and it's superb for helo sims. It's way more precise than I expected from a spring stick with an almost zero deadzone and very good linearity.

The only downsides are:
- rudder is a bit too stiff, i had grown accustomed to the light rudder of the Sidewinder. You actually feel that you're controlling another axis and it takes a few hours to combine movements. But after 10 years using the old one, a few hours is actually ok
- the base is so small that it tilts forward when you push the stick beyond it's front limit. But this depends on the stick's initial tilt (customizable) and it's far less annoying than it sounds. You can still reach the full travel without problems.

After a week of playing multiple sims, I've come to love this one. It's best used for commercial plane sims like FS or space sims. It does a better job on helos than my old one. In fighter sims it's a bit more stiff than I'd like it to be. So you could surely do better with other more expensive sticks, but if you have a laptop and want a good full size joystick that can easily be carried, this is by far the best thing on the market.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote