SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-06-19, 08:30 PM   #1336
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer View Post
For the nerds amongst us!

[REL] S3D file parsers open sourced

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho....php?p=2621805

Enjoy!

Nice

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-19, 08:23 PM   #1337
XfoXshoX
Watch

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareSteelBar View Post
Thx matey
XfoXshoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 11:30 AM   #1338
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Hi skwas, hi guys,

today, while using S3d and Goblin Editor (SH5) at the same time, I ran into a nasty blue screen (). Unfortunately I didn't think about taking a picture of the error message, but it was something about a memory violation. Anyway I was prompted to reset the system, and after that I can't use S3d anymore. Every time I try running skwas' program, I immediately get the message that Silent 3ditor has stopped working. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the editor, but the problem persists.

Any idea on why this is happening? My OS is Windows 8.1 x64. After the said blue screen I didn't get any other system errors, and any other program seems to work properly.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-19, 10:56 PM   #1339
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Hi skwas, hi guys,

today, while using S3d and Goblin Editor (SH5) at the same time, I ran into a nasty blue screen (). Unfortunately I didn't think about taking a picture of the error message, but it was something about a memory violation. Anyway I was prompted to reset the system, and after that I can't use S3d anymore. Every time I try running skwas' program, I immediately get the message that Silent 3ditor has stopped working. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the editor, but the problem persists.

Any idea on why this is happening? My OS is Windows 8.1 x64. After the said blue screen I didn't get any other system errors, and any other program seems to work properly.
I remember once I had to delete registry entries to get S3d to work again; I purged all references to it everywhere on my install and ran a program like ccleaner just to make sure the whole computer was "clean" of S3d stuff - then it started working; sorry for your problem and I hope this helps.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-19, 06:04 AM   #1340
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

In addition to maybe having to do what iambecomelife says, if your were using Rosomaha's Additional Controllers for the S3D on top of S3D, it apparently doesn't tell Windows it is there, and that makes a mess of things when you encounter a crash like you did... I wish I would have documented what I did when I re-configured my set-up after a crash, because if there is one thing I'm good at, it is crashing programs ... It might be that I searched on the files in his add-on, and removed those temporarily... then again, maybe not... "A mind is a terrible thing to lose."

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-19, 03:26 PM   #1341
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

Here's a summary of things you could look at/try out:
  • Clean S3D preferences and controller cache at: %AppData%\..\Local\skwas (Windows key + R, paste this path, press enter)
    (simply remove the folder 'skwas' and all subfolders, S3D regenerates it upon launch)

See if S3D restarts ok. If not, try reinstall the 'normal' way (uninstall, reboot, reinstall).

If this still fails, go the brute route:
  • Uninstall S3D
  • Remove any left over files from the installation directory (added by other apps/mods, f.ex. the controller extensions mod @propbeanie mentioned)
  • Clean registry, the following keys must be removed (the uninstall process should have removed it, but just in case it does not succeed), otherwise you cannot reinstall S3D:

Code:
    64-bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{42258A5E-3399-43FE-8169-46336BCB79DA}
    32-bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\System32\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{42258A5E-3399-43FE-8169-46336BCB79DA}

32/64bit:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\E5A852249933EF3418966433B6BC97AD
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\E5A852249933EF3418966433B6BC97AD
  • Reboot
  • Reinstall DirectX 9 components https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=34429
  • Reinstall S3D

S3D works without problems from Windows 2000 to Windows 10 (32/64 bit). It won't be until we stop losing MS support for DirectX 9 or .NET 2 before S3D's days are over
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-19, 11:39 AM   #1342
Rosomaha
Loader

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
In addition to maybe having to do what iambecomelife says, if your were using Rosomaha's Additional Controllers for the S3D on top of S3D, it apparently doesn't tell Windows it is there, and that makes a mess of things when you encounter a crash like you did... I wish I would have documented what I did when I re-configured my set-up after a crash, because if there is one thing I'm good at, it is crashing programs ... It might be that I searched on the files in his add-on, and removed those temporarily... then again, maybe not... "A mind is a terrible thing to lose."
You are so persistently trying to blame specifically all my tools for all problems, even when people tell you that they don’t use them, but you continue to do so - it looks so funny.)

Additional Controllers for the S3D - This application is outdated and its components are included in the application "Silent3Ditor Configurator”

Similar problems happened earlier, before the release of the controller update, with the simultaneous work of S3d and other 3d-editors - see the topic history earlier - treatment methods - cleaning the registry as described by skwasjer.
Rosomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-19, 12:11 PM   #1343
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosomaha View Post
You are so persistently trying to blame specifically all my tools for all problems, even when people tell you that they don’t use them, but you continue to do so - it looks so funny.)

Additional Controllers for the S3D - This application is outdated and its components are included in the application "Silent3Ditor Configurator”

Similar problems happened earlier, before the release of the controller update, with the simultaneous work of S3d and other 3d-editors - see the topic history earlier - treatment methods - cleaning the registry as described by skwasjer.
I am sorry if it seems that I am blaming you or Additional Controllers for the issue. That is not / was not my intention. Something in my Windows 7 system configuration does not like either program or extension after an update (I no longer run updates on it), and on a Windows 10 machine, the OS will overwrite all of my preferences for said file extensions every time it does an update (updates cannot be stopped in Win10), rendering not only S3D, and Additional Controllers, but also Adobe PhotoShop LE, and all other of my apps that pre-date Windows 8, aka: "Legacy" apps as nearly useless. Any update of Windows also makes changes to them, or the extensions nigh-on impossible for me to put back the way they were. I do apologize for the choice of words I made. I blame Microsoft for all issues encountered with anything deemed "Legacy" by them. I do continue to use the apps and extensions, and it is because they are good apps and add-ons. I thank you again for what you wrote, which works seamlessly and smoothly with skwasjer's S3Ditor.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-19, 01:02 PM   #1344
gap
Navy Seal

Sorry guys, I didn't want to trigger a quarrel here.

I am actually an happy user of S3D configurator. Before this tool I had to hex-edit certain SH5 controllers that couldn't be neither handled by Silent 3ditor nor saved in Goblin, or I had to resort to some complicated workarounds. For this reason I will never complain about Rosomaha's work, quite the opposite, but I don't think that that was propbeanie's intention either.

That said, whatever caused the problem, and after many fruitless attempts by me, this suggestion by skwas made the trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer View Post
  • Clean S3D preferences and controller cache at: %AppData%\..\Local\skwas (Windows key + R, paste this path, press enter)
    (simply remove the folder 'skwas' and all subfolders, S3D regenerates it upon launch)
Thank you to skwas, and everyone else who offered his help. It feels good knowing that someone cares, I love you guys
Old 11-14-19, 01:54 AM   #1345
ErdiFerenc
Young fox with old tricks

Downloads: 186
Default Basic modding

Hi guys,
Is there any documentation about using Silent3ditor?
Because I'm modeling the Seehund midget submarine's interior, and in some moths(years) I want to create a mod of it, but I don't have any experience in it yet.And here comes the other question.Can S3D create submarine mods for SH5 too?Or just 3 and 4?
Thank you!
ErdiFerenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-19, 02:03 AM   #1346
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

ErdiFerenc!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-19, 06:03 AM   #1347
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > ErdiFerenc
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-19, 06:54 AM   #1348
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErdiFerenc View Post
Hi guys,
Is there any documentation about using Silent3ditor?
Because I'm modeling the Seehund midget submarine's interior, and in some moths(years) I want to create a mod of it, but I don't have any experience in it yet.And here comes the other question.Can S3D create submarine mods for SH5 too?Or just 3 and 4?
Thank you!
Hi ErdiFerenc,

in skwasjer's profile page here on subsim, there are some useful links related with Silent 3ditor and its usage. S3D's homepage itself contains several useful tutorials, and you can find some video tutorials at this link. The documentation above should keep you busy for a few hours. Should you still have any doubts or unanswered questions after going through it, you can always ask here. There is always someone around ready to help.

As for your second question my answer is yes and not. In short: S3D can only edit 3D files that are in .dat format, plus the related binary files (.sim, .zon, .val, etc.) where unit/object controllers are stored. Conversely, SH5's main 3D format is the gr2 (granny) format which S3D can't open. SH5 makes a limited use of the .dat format, an working dat units can be imported in SH5, so in theory dat-format playable units could be possible, but there are several drawbacks/limitation related to the said file format and SH5 that make its usage not advisable with playable units, where you want all the eye candies on...
Old 11-15-19, 03:59 PM   #1349
ErdiFerenc
Young fox with old tricks

Downloads: 186
Default Thanks

Thank you all for the answers!
ErdiFerenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-19, 08:38 AM   #1350
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3
Default Import/Export problem after deleting vertices

I'm stuck on an import/export issue and turning to fellow subsimmers for help again:

I have a model in Blender, that I have succesfully exported to .obj and then imported in S3ditor. So far so good.

Now, if I delete even a single vertice in Blender and then try to export the model again with exactly the same settings as before, I get "un expected token encountered" error.

Below, copy of my import/export settings in S3D and Blender:

What's funny - if I delete faces in Blender, export/import still works with those settings (despite the fact that deleting faces also destroys some vertices).

I encountered this after making some changes to my Fairmile model in order to simplify its mesh.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote