SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-26-15, 08:01 PM   #1
erahmig
Watch

Downloads: 88
Uploads: 0
Default 3000m bearing plotter

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with the 3000m bearing plotter mod found in the SH3 downloads section. I have the Steam version of SH3 install with NO mods - it's a stock game. When I install the mod (located at http://subsim.com/radioroom/download...o=file&id=1601), using JSGME, the game will CTD .

Is there a different version of this mod that doesn't cause CTDs?

BTW, it's amazing that an older series of games like SH3/SH4 still have an active community . Kind of like FS9/FSX I guess.

Thanks for any help!

Eric
erahmig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-15, 09:41 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

erahmig!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-15, 06:32 AM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim Eric

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-15, 08:08 AM   #4
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

Hello erahmig!

I've dowloaded the mod to take a quick look at the files... I see the mod only touch some .tga files (they are images file, you can open and edit them with an image editor, one free and good is Paint.NET).

The tga files changed by the mod are the ones inside each specific submarine type in ..data/Submarine/ folder of the game.
I opened two of the originals tga files VS the tga of the mod.
I found that the original tga are 1360x1360 pixel while the mod ones are 6330x6330... Maybe this is the problem (probably a memory releted issue).

EDIT:
Sorry, I've not an installation of the original, unmodded SH3, but an unmodded GWX Gold installation... So the mod tga files are bigger than the ones on a regular GWX Gold installation.

Last edited by banryu79; 05-27-15 at 08:16 AM.
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-15, 01:18 PM   #5
erahmig
Watch

Thanks for the nice welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banryu79 View Post
Hello erahmig!

I've dowloaded the mod to take a quick look at the files... I see the mod only touch some .tga files (they are images file, you can open and edit them with an image editor, one free and good is Paint.NET).

The tga files changed by the mod are the ones inside each specific submarine type in ..data/Submarine/ folder of the game.
I opened two of the originals tga files VS the tga of the mod.
I found that the original tga are 1360x1360 pixel while the mod ones are 6330x6330... Maybe this is the problem (probably a memory releted issue).
Thanks also for the detailed information. I will check the image sizes when I get a chance to. I use Gimp and will be able to resize the modded tga images to 1360x1360. I will try to remember to report back whether that fixes the problem.

Eric
Old 05-27-15, 04:31 PM   #6
sENoZ
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

tga files ? so dont load that mod with JSGME, directly replace the files by the wich from sH 3, make a backup before erasing if you want.
Old 05-27-15, 05:26 PM   #7
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sENoZ View Post
tga files ? so dont load that mod with JSGME, directly replace the files by the wich from sH 3, make a backup before erasing if you want.
Why not using JSGME?
It will be perfectly useful even if all the mod does is just change some tga files, AFAIK
Old 05-27-15, 05:31 PM   #8
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by erahmig View Post
Thanks for the nice welcome!

Thanks also for the detailed information. I will check the image sizes when I get a chance to. I use Gimp and will be able to resize the modded tga images to 1360x1360. I will try to remember to report back whether that fixes the problem.

Eric
Ok, I'm speculating here but I've just realized that the images are bigger (pixel-wise) because the bearing-icon representing the uboat is larger too (a circle depicting a range of 3000 m. is obviously larger than one depicting a range of 1500 m.)

So I do not believe you can just shrink them...
Old 05-27-15, 06:15 PM   #9
sENoZ
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Why not using JSGME?
It will be perfectly useful even if all the mod does is just change some tga files, AFAIK
do what you want so

i just wanted to help you x)
Old 05-27-15, 09:56 PM   #10
erahmig
Watch

Quote:
Ok, I'm speculating here but I've just realized that the images are bigger (pixel-wise) because the bearing-icon representing the uboat is larger too (a circle depicting a range of 3000 m. is obviously larger than one depicting a range of 1500 m.)

So I do not believe you can just shrink them...
Hmm, let me see whether I understand what you are trying to tell me. Are you saying that after re-sizing the images the distance scales shown by the plotter symbol will be incorrect?

I didn't think of that initially, but now what you said seems obvious .

I've seen people using such a 3000m plotter in youtube videos but I think most of those folks are running modded games and I just have the stock game.

Well, I will keep looking for something like that for a stock game.

Thanks again.

Eric
Old 05-28-15, 12:13 AM   #11
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by erahmig View Post
Hmm, let me see whether I understand what you are trying to tell me. Are you saying that after re-sizing the images the distance scales shown by the plotter symbol will be incorrect?

I didn't think of that initially, but now what you said seems obvious .

I've seen people using such a 3000m plotter in youtube videos but I think most of those folks are running modded games and I just have the stock game.

Well, I will keep looking for something like that for a stock game.

Thanks again.

Eric
Well, you could always try to rescale the tga in the mod, load it in JSGME and activate it, then see if it works or not. In the latter case you only need to deactivate it from JSGME and look for another solution...
Old 05-28-15, 12:17 AM   #12
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Quote:
do what you want so

i just wanted to help you x)
Yes mate, I understood it, I just asked you why you suggested to directly change the tga in the game installation instead of using JSG ME?
Perheps you know something useful we ignore, I just asked you to explain it...
Old 05-28-15, 05:53 AM   #13
sENoZ
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

cause ive been using this mod... and this replace the files directly instead of using jsgme ....

and was working very good..

pic files have to be replaced and not activated with jsgme ................

Also use magui final version, on the tdc map click on the ( ? ) then you will have it ...
Old 05-28-15, 07:59 PM   #14
erahmig
Watch

Quote:
Well, you could always try to rescale the tga in the mod, load it in JSGME and activate it, then see if it works or not.
Very true . But, I think I found another solution (see below).

Quote:
Maybe this is the problem (probably a memory releted issue).
I think you are correct. The crash was a memory-related issue. In addition to your clue about memory I found a note somewhere in the MaGUI documentation that said you shouldn't try to install the 3000m plotter images for all u-boats at the same time because of how big they are. So, I just installed the one for my VII-B (my current boat) and the game loaded up just fine.

Quote:
Also use magui final version, on the tdc map click on the ( ? ) then you will have it ...
Hi sENoz,

I did take a look at MaGUI. I even watched your video for "big mega noobs". I think MaGUI requires manual targetting (according to the installation instructions). I don't want to do manual targeting right now. I'm brand new to the game and would like to learn other things first before learning manual targeting. But, your suggestion is still a good one.

Eric
Old 05-28-15, 08:11 PM   #15
sENoZ
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi sENoz,

I did take a look at MaGUI. I even watched your video for "big mega noobs". I think MaGUI requires manual targetting (according to the installation instructions). I don't want to do manual targeting right now. I'm brand new to the game and would like to learn other things first before learning manual targeting. But, your suggestion is still a good one.

Eric

big mega noobs ^^ well if am not wrong you can still use auto manual targetting with magui no ?? depend on the realism option you select.

i have all option on except map contact, so yes i need to do manual targetting.

But really, the method i show for manual targetting is very easy and it is a working method.
as i said you dont need any astronaut mathematic .... lol

Tags
3000m, bearing, mod, plotter