SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-23, 08:52 PM   #14146
skizzyj
Nub

Downloads: 234
Uploads: 0

hello, this mod is standalone right? meaning I don't need to buy sh5 anymore? because i noticed that sh5 is no longer on steam.
skizzyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-23, 09:16 PM   #14147
Cristi_Neagu
Swabbie

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzyj View Post
hello, this mod is standalone right? meaning I don't need to buy sh5 anymore? because i noticed that sh5 is no longer on steam.
Nope, you still need SH5.
Cristi_Neagu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-23, 09:37 PM   #14148
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

skizzyj!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-23, 03:59 PM   #14149
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzyj View Post
SH5 is "on saile" in the US store right now for $2.50 US, a bargain-basement price, 1/4 of what it normally is. The Ubisoft store has it for $10 US, but might be discounted further to keep pace with Steam... Still available.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-23, 05:00 AM   #14150
haxordie
Nub

Downloads: 48

Is anybody currently working on a German translation for this megamod? There was one translation done, but it's incomplete, lacks the Engima codes, and is generally sort of deprecated.
haxordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-23, 12:12 PM   #14151
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Quote:
sort of deprecated
haxordie! nuthin' like a little 'deprecation" to end a 3 year 'silent run'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-23, 12:35 PM   #14152
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by haxordie View Post
Is anybody currently working on a German translation for this megamod? There was one translation done, but it's incomplete, lacks the Engima codes, and is generally sort of deprecated.
As far as I know, no, unless vdr1981 is planning to suprise us with it in next update.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-23, 10:00 AM   #14153
Sirius.x
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedo View Post
Hi everyone!
After several tries, I've lost count...I manage to get the UZO working and the various charts. The only thing I can't see in the recognition book is the profile of the individual ships, i.e. the file "NDD_Type34A_sil.dds" referring to the NDD_Type34 for example, obviously I tried with all the ships, while I can see the images of the ships. In the image is a Liberty Cargo. They are all blank the files *_sil.dds in the recognition book.
I tried to use the "Pascal_recognition handbook_for_NewsUIs_TDC" mod but unfortunately the problem is not solved for silhouttes. UZO OK, charts OK but I don't have the silhouettes in the recognition book!
I tried using Fitzcarraldo's mods, but no positive results.

Torpedo
Hi Torpedo
My situation is exactly like yours. My final solution is using a DVD version of SH5 and every problem is gone even without that recognition texture mod. I'm not sure why though. You could also try using DVD version if you are still looking for solution. Hope this helps.
Best regards. Sirius.x
Sirius.x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-23, 11:49 AM   #14154
Torpedo
Torpedoman

Downloads: 1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius.x View Post
Hi Torpedo
My situation is exactly like yours. My final solution is using a DVD version of SH5 and every problem is gone even without that recognition texture mod. I'm not sure why though. You could also try using DVD version if you are still looking for solution. Hope this helps.
Best regards. Sirius.x
Thanks Sirius.x for your help.
My installation of SH5, updated to TWoS 2.2.25, is done from an original DVD as soon as the simulator came out. Until a few months ago I had no problems with the recognition manual, perhaps it was the upgrade from W10 Pro to W11 Pro 22H2 that created this problem for me. The recognition manual is the original one and not the one you see in the image of my post.
How do you use the original DVD? For installing or launching SH5? I tried to boot SH5 from the DVD but unfortunately without solving the problem.
Thank you for your interest in my problem!
Best regards!
Torpedo
Torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-23, 07:34 PM   #14155
haxordie
Nub

Is there a way to set mast height manually for stadimeter? I do not want to use SOAN.
Old 04-03-23, 05:59 AM   #14156
haxordie
Nub

Also why does the mod seemingly so realistic feature such unrealistic optics with UZO and binoculars?
Old 04-03-23, 08:09 AM   #14157
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Also why does the mod seemingly so realistic feature such unrealistic optics with UZO and binoculars?
In most cases, answer to "why TWoS features something unrealistic" is "it can't be done/is very hard to do in SH5", but many things still can be fixed. You'd have to expand upon what you found unrealistic to check if this could be improved and how.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-23, 08:40 AM   #14158
ronin677
Watch

Downloads: 9
Default Back to SH5 after a long time away

Now coming back to SH5 after many years away. I've now reinstalled TWOS after realising (again) that the game only goes so far and then stops updating the missions. I just wondered if;

1) are there any good video tutorials to teach how to use TWOS? I tried the torpedo tutorial in game but became stuck at the beginning when I couldn't figure out how to turn on my TDC (the tutorial then couldn't continue)
2) is there a way to use the standard game way of targeting boats using the 3 circle method? (see my screenshot)

I'm determined to get TWOS working for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-04-03 14.12.58.jpg (12.6 KB, 18 views)
ronin677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-23, 09:23 PM   #14159
haxordie
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
In most cases, answer to "why TWoS features something unrealistic" is "it can't be done/is very hard to do in SH5", but many things still can be fixed. You'd have to expand upon what you found unrealistic to check if this could be improved and how.
It's not really much of a hard feature, the UZO and binocular scopes are pretty unrealistic when it comes to optics. Should be a monocular view with a single vertical line without any markings in case of the UZO and range-marked monocular view in case of the binoculars.
Old 04-04-23, 05:15 AM   #14160
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Quote:
It's not really much of a hard feature, the UZO and binocular scopes are pretty unrealistic when it comes to optics. Should be a monocular view with a single vertical line without any markings in case of the UZO and range-marked monocular view in case of the binoculars.
Use Unscratched optics mod and you have those. Totally compatible with TWoS.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote