SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-05-17, 09:52 AM   #1
ShaggyMurphy
Nub

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default Playable U Class Submarine Mod Idea?

I'm wondering how possible this would even be but I'm gonna pitch this idea anyways.

A playable U Class Submarine.

The model already exists in the game, but it's a British Submarine. What I'm thinking is you could possibly use the submarine while playing as the Germans, mostly just for fun. Basically instead of the Type VII U boat you play as a U Class Submarine on the German side.

Correct me if I am wrong but I'm thinking it would be somewhat simple. More so than trying to make a Type IX or Type XXI anyways.

The U Class has these specs;
11.25 Knots Surfaced Speed
10 Knots submerged
4 Bow torpedo tubes, 8 total torpedoes
1x 3 Inch AA gun.
8300 km surfaced range at full speed

(The type VII has a range of 15,700 km at a speed of 10 knots)

I'd imagine the speed and torpedo tubes and loadout would be simple to set. The 3 inch AA gun could be substituted for the German equivalent (a Flak Gun?). I don't know if there is a playable German equivalent in game though. Full consumption could be set for the range in comparison to the current Type VII stats.

Now graphically might be the hard part. I suppose the inside of the Type VII could be reused for simplicitys sake. The outside of the sub would be tricky reusing the U Class model in game in comparison to the Type VII. But essentially a U Class deck would be would consist of a Flak Gun where the deck gun is and no extra weapons on deck. Now I imagine boundaries would have to be set for walking about and a ladder placed on the conning tower.

I am not a modder myself so I'm hoping this would be possible, primarily just for fun. If this is possible and someone's willing to try to work on this I'd gladly help.
ShaggyMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote