SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-25-18, 06:32 AM   #481
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Best news I've heard in a long time!! Justice has been served!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 08:00 AM   #482
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Do I understand that correctly that he will be released after 15 years?
Old 04-25-18, 08:14 AM   #483
Wizz
Watch

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
I believe Danish life sentences are 16 years long. It seems to be an amazingly short period for a brutal premeditated sexual murder (to use the courts findings).

It makes you wonder what he was like psychologically. To be so brilliant as to bring the Nautilus to life, but now hurt someone beyond comprehension. The mind boggles...
Wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 08:16 AM   #484
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Without parole, I assume not.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 08:31 AM   #485
Lewis Wingerter
Planesman

Downloads: 282

If there prisons are anything like our, and if the life sentence is only 16 years PM should have 16 years of pure hell .
Lewis Wingerter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 08:35 AM   #486
Rip
Commodore

Downloads: 39

Life should be life or call it something else.

Saying someone is sentenced to life and then letting them out in 16 years is just lying to create an illusion of justice. 16 years isn't even a quarter of a life.
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 09:04 AM   #487
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
He will serve a minimum of 12 years after which he can ask to be pardoned.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 09:17 AM   #488
Wizz
Watch

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
There is only two days left in this trial against Peter Madsen or Raket Madsen which is his nickname here in Denmark.
Hi Markus, thank you keeping us updated on this case. May I ask why PM's Danish nickname is Raket Madsen? Thanks for any insight in advance
Wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 09:21 AM   #489
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Wingerter View Post
If there prisons are anything like our, and if the life sentence is only 16 years PM should have 16 years of pure hell .
European prisons are nothing like that.
Old 04-25-18, 10:57 AM   #490
Obltn Strand
Commodore

Downloads: 135

This is a good thing but it's not ovet yet. Both partites can appeal to second level of court. Prosecutor doesn't have to, he already got what he wanted. But defence have to come up with some new evidence or other matters which point out to PM's innocence.

Perhaps we hear yet another story about what happened...
Old 04-25-18, 11:38 AM   #491
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizz View Post
Hi Markus, thank you keeping us updated on this case. May I ask why PM's Danish nickname is Raket Madsen? Thanks for any insight in advance
PM have a few of them, one of them is Raket Madsen an another is
Ubåds Madsen- Rocket Madsen and Submarine Madsen.

I think some of the others who also was with me in the Subsim meeting in Copenhagen 2009 can give a better explanation to why he have this nickname.

For short I can tell you he wasn't not only part time owner of a homemade sub, he was also a member in a group who had planned on sending a Danish amateur astronaut into space and back. And if I remember correctly it was PM who was the one.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 11:52 AM   #492
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Some information about Danish Law.

Life Sentence-Means you are in for your entire life-You can apply for pardon after 12 years.

Next stop is High Court or in Danish "Østre Landsret"

I can't remember every single word that have been said about this
after it was known he had appealed the verdict.

The will be a new prosecutor
And new Judges
These Judges will go through the material and maybe recall some of the witness once again, and perhaps the new prosecutor can present new evidence or the Defense can present new evidence.

Markus
Old 04-25-18, 01:09 PM   #493
Carotio
Mr. Bad Wolf

Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Some information about Danish Law.
Next stop is High Court or in Danish "Østre Landsret"
Markus
High Court is suppreme court in English, I think, but that is in Denmark Højesteret.
Østre Landsret & Vestre Landsret is the court between city court and high court.
PM was sentenced at the city court today. The lawyer appealed right away to the court Østre Landsret. There will be a new trial procedure in that court. The prosecutor may be a new lawyer. The lawyer of PM will most likely be the same.
If PM looses at Østre Landsret, I doubt he will be given access to appeal to the high court, because the high court normally only deals with cases, which is judged to be dealing with precedent. And well, since this case is rather unique, I doubt the high court will take the case.
So most likely, the trial at Østre Landsret will determine the fate of PM.

And most likely, that court will confirm/uphold the same verdict.

Regarding the life sentence. Normally, Danish prisoners with a life sentence can get a chance of getting out after some time, maybe 12, 15 or 16, I don't remember, but it's up to juridical educated people to make an investigation whether the prisoner is still dangerous or not. Some of the most famous prisoners have stayed in prison for much longer time.
As I have written earlier in this thread, a police killer of 4 had to stay in prison for more than 30 years before being released. And PM will probably be judged to be just as dangerous. So he may be more than 70 years old before getting out. But we don't really know that yet.

But sofar, I'm satisfied with the verdict. There was no excuse for cutting up another human being. Changing story several times, not calling for help if she had died accidently, lying about putting her to sea with a full body or in pieces, all this made it for me. And I guess for the judge and lay judges too.

I met him twice, the second time at the subsim meet, and it was a cool experience. That also made it difficult to accept. But even though I still keep that experience as a nice souvenir in my memory, I think justice has served right.

Download my mods from SHMF
Follow my photography here
taler dansk, speak English, spreche Deutsch, parle fraais, forstår svenska/norsk, comprendo castellano
Carotio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 02:31 PM   #494
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

@ Carotio

Your right I stand corrected-I used google translate, to find out what Østre Landsret was in English and it gave me High Court.

And thank you for giving our friends more information about the verdict.

Markus
Old 04-25-18, 04:37 PM   #495
Dahoon
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Just a note about life vs custody (forvaring) as there seems to be some confusion. I have read a bit about it but don't take it as gospel as I'm no lawyer and I'm not sure I got less confused by reading about it....

Life in prison in Denmark means "minimum 12 years before a chance of parole". The average time served is around 17 years as far as I can tell but there is no limit of how long you can be in prison.

Custody means courts have to look at the case after a maximum of 5 years and see if the person is fit for release. The custody sentence should also be as short as possible. Custody is not for people that are "criminally insane" that would be released after successful treatment but for people that is not insane but still believed to be a danger to others even after a normal prison sentence. Average length is 15 years. While serving time there are psychiatrists seeing the prisoner and other forms of therapy. While in custody you cannot get unaccompanied leave, cannot seek pardon and to get custody you have to have done gross bodily harm to another person, be deemed dangerous by psychiatrists and a prison should not be enough to keep others safe from you (I doubt PM will fit that last one). In other words one is a punishment for the deed - full stop. The other is both a punishment but also about keeping the prisoner in prison until deemed safe for release. That last bit is not included in a normal sentence at all.

As I understand the justice system the prosecutor asked for life because it is the longest on average and not because he believed PM isn't dangerous. Psychiatrists will decide that part and inform the judge (as they indeed did in this case).

Last edited by Dahoon; 04-25-18 at 04:53 PM.

Tags
madsen, murder, nautilus, wall