Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-25-21, 07:24 AM   #1
CriticalMass
Swabbie

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default Best Mod for a returning DW user

Hi,

I've just had the urge to reinstall DW after a few years. I saw the development of Modern Naval Warefare and wanted to get back into the sub-marine space.

I would like a recommendation (and I know there's not going to be one view) for which Mod I should install. I'm mostly concerned with realism and will not be going down the MP route.

I see the two current front runners are LwAMI and RA (I think I had LwAMI installed back in the day).

TANX

CriticalMass
CriticalMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 01:25 AM   #2
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

In both modes (SP & MP) RA mod is better. LwAmi devoeloping was ended 10 years ago. Many bugs never wasn't fixed.

RA is more demanding but gives you better "realism" if you mean weapon and
ship systems working (especially AI systems). Also more platforms to control, much more weapons and more scenarios.

Sentence: LwAmi is better for sp is only myth
RA has adapted all big and major scenarios and campaigns. Currently we are waiting for new update of RSR campaign because RA developer found there some bugs.
Old 05-26-21, 04:27 AM   #3
CriticalMass
Swabbie

Downloads: 17

Great stuff! Thanks for your response!

I'll take your opinion on all aspects. I did Install LwAMI but it's easy enough to uninstall DW and get it back from Steam.

Is there an issue around the default missions and campaign?
CriticalMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-21, 01:31 PM   #4
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Vanilla campaign isn't playable inRa but installer include missions and campaigns from 688 H/K, Sub Command , Red Storm Rising Campaign, Liu Doctrine, and some fresh scenarios.
Old 07-20-21, 09:14 PM   #5
Wolfcat
Chief

Downloads: 27

RA is great. The only issue I have with RA is that some of the platforms need more realistic skins. Especially those modern Chinese ships. They are purely ugly. Make my custom made scenarios fighting against Chinese in Taiwan strait so unpalatable. Also in one of other mods, I believe it was LwAmi, MK48 Torpedo looks so much better, much close to the real life one. In current RA, all Russian torpedoes seem to have been beautifully re-skinned, but American ones are still from vanilla game.
Wolfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-21, 06:12 AM   #6
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

Wow! I’m surprised to find that DW is still active! I’ve been silently playing in the background for YEARS. Haha! I still use the LWAMI mod. There’s just something fun about those armed oil rig platforms. I love doing strange stuff with them.
I also really love the RA mod for its variety. I wish we had a mod switcher that could allow us to switch what mods we use without having to uninstall and reinstall the game. Having the program keep track of scenarios that were created with each mod, and vanilla would be nice too.

Dreaming a bit, I guess. Anyway. It’s so cool to see things still active here, and that the name/password that I had all those many years ago still works! Haha!
Old 09-16-21, 07:20 AM   #7
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Its not that hard to run multiple installs of DW.
I have twelve installs of RA, LWAMI, Alpha Tau, and a stock install of DW.

Which install of DW do you have (Steam, old CD, Strategy First direct download) and what are you using as an OS (win10, win7)?

I run Win10 (64 bit) and the Strat First direct download of DW.

My version of DW uses a utility file named LaunchDW.exe.
If I want to install a new mod version, I copy my whole (stock) DW folder, rename the main folder, then install the new mod. Each mod folder also contains a copy of LaunchDW.exe. All I need to do then is run LaunchDW from the new folder and it changes my setting in my registry plus it updates the file location my shortcut icon uses. It isn't elegant (I need separate folders for each mod install) but it works and its fairly easy to change mods when I feel like it.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-21, 02:37 PM   #8
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

Quote:
My version of DW uses a utility file named LaunchDW.exe.
If I want to install a new mod version, I copy my whole (stock) DW folder, rename the main folder, then install the new mod. Each mod folder also contains a copy of LaunchDW.exe. All I need to do then is run LaunchDW from the new folder and it changes my setting in my registry plus it updates the file location my shortcut icon uses. It isn't elegant (I need separate folders for each mod install) but it works and its fairly easy to change mods when I feel like it.

This is AWESOME! I'm going to have to set this up. With this setup, it would just be simple to just make shortcuts to each LaunchDW.exe right from your desktop or from the Start Menu "All Programs"! Thanks!