SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-04-19, 02:00 PM   #1
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Default SweetScape 010 Editor

I asked the Moderators here at SubSim where would be the best place to start this thread. After suggestions and such I feel the SH4 Workshop is the best place to start since I convinced several people to give it a try.

010 is a hex editor with almost magical powers! I'd HIGHLY suggest one check out their home page for some details as it would take pages here to just give you the basics.

http://sweetscape.com/

It is a pay for program after 30 days but WELL worth the low cost! I can do anything to the files that all other programs can do AND much more!

If you can imagine it and can or are willing to learn a bit of C programing?
There is no limit to what you can do.

I plan to release some scripts and templates here that work with 010.
Those will show you and allow you to do things other programs can not do easily for the SH series of Games, do the things that take multiple programs, automate things to cut the time needed to do things.

Another great thing is the creators of 010 listen to suggestions for improvements to 010 like no other software devs I've ever had dealings with!

The list of 010 users here at SubSim is amazing when you look at what they have done for the Games! I'll hope they list themselves and if they are no longer here at SUbSim? I'll add them.

To be continued........
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 02:31 PM   #2
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

The sharing of scripts and templates for 010 is easy.
Below is a script that you can use to search and save a list of output.
Just copy and paste it to a text file. Then give it the extension of 1sc instead of txt.
It's a simple script that you can actually do with the user interface but does save some time.

//------------------------------------------------
//--- 010 Editor Script File
// FotRSU Search Script
//
//------------------------------------------------

int i;
char W[40], X[20], Y[20];

X = InputString("File Search", "Enter file name", "*.dat"); // files to search for
Y = InputString("Text Search", "Enter text", ""); // This is the text to find

Printf( "You searched for %s\n", Y );
TFindInFilesResults r = FindInFiles( Y, InputDirectory( "Select Folder to search", "C:\\" ), X );

Printf( "I found %d files.\n", r.count );

for( i = 0; i < r.count; i++ )
{
Printf( "%s\n", r.file[i].filename );
}
W = InputString("Save File", "Name your save file", "c:\\temp\\");// You can change the path when saving.
OutputPaneSave( W );
Old 01-04-19, 03:31 PM   #3
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

010 allowed me to open the Bunker in SH5 so you can walk areas not allowed in the original version. I don't believe it's ever been copied.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/141175...ewest.wmv/file
Old 01-04-19, 05:34 PM   #4
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Now say you use the script I posted above and find 250 files you need to check.
Sounds pretty daunting don't it?
What IF you could run a script that opened each file in S3D as you clicked on them? And then marked the list so you could come back later to continue your work?
S3D would close and you could just click the next link in the list.
Talk about working on multiple mods time saving!

I wish 010 had been around for GWX!!

By the way? I don't use anything other then 010 to set large address aware.
Old 01-04-19, 05:59 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I've got a Toobyue account Jeff. Do you want that video online?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 06:58 PM   #6
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1105
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
I asked the Moderators here at SubSim where would be the best place to start this thread. After suggestions and such I feel the SH4 Workshop is the best place to start since I convinced several people to give it a try.

010 is a hex editor with almost magical powers! I'd HIGHLY suggest one check out their home page for some details as it would take pages here to just give you the basics.

http://sweetscape.com/

It is a pay for program after 30 days but WELL worth the low cost! I can do anything to the files that all other programs can do AND much more!

If you can imagine it and can or are willing to learn a bit of C programing?
There is no limit to what you can do.

I plan to release some scripts and templates here that work with 010.
Those will show you and allow you to do things other programs can not do easily for the SH series of Games, do the things that take multiple programs, automate things to cut the time needed to do things.

Another great thing is the creators of 010 listen to suggestions for improvements to 010 like no other software devs I've ever had dealings with!

The list of 010 users here at SubSim is amazing when you look at what they have done for the Games! I'll hope they list themselves and if they are no longer here at SUbSim? I'll add them.

To be continued........
May I check in, do you have a spare room ?
Old 01-04-19, 07:03 PM   #7
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Thanks for checking in Mates!

You Guys can attest to what 010 can do for us Modders I'm sure.

I'm going to blast you all with some really amazing scripts to edit animations in SH4 here soon!

There is no other software that will give you that power!
S3D can not even open them let alone edit them.

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 01-04-19 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-04-19, 08:26 PM   #8
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1105
Uploads: 10

Default Request - script

Is there any way someone could scan the texture folders within a mod for a date range? so it would flag up anything in a certain date range... or even better could it show the file size of the dds / tga file and the date range ? as in 128x128 or 512x512.
Old 01-04-19, 09:06 PM   #9
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Most excellent question!! I'll start with scanning for texture size.

Say we want to find a TGA of a certain size. That info IS in the TGA file so we would scan all files to find the image specifications which are in every tga file. Even in a dat file in SH Games.
We need to understand that format to start the search.
If you have 010 open the iceburg3.dds in your texture folder. (Ya. I'm switching you up to dds but it's the same)
You'll get a popup to install a template. Go ahead and install that. Now you will see how that file is built. Click on the struct DDS_HEADER and you will see the size of that dds file. Unit height is 00 02 00 00 followed by 00 04 00 00
which is 512x 1024

We have the start of a search. Lets be sure we only look for a dds file.

I'll just do a user interface search at this point. Click on search, find in files
put 00 02 00 00 00 04 00 00 in the search box, browse to the SH4 texture folder, and put *.dds in the file types area.

Now this can be scripted also! We can script it so you get a box that will take 512 and convert it to the hex numbers!
Holy Hanna! You don't even need to know hex if a script is written!
Old 01-04-19, 10:02 PM   #10
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

The time date stamp is a bit trickier. But can still be coded to find.
For instance. The SH3.exe is dated 3E 9B AE 42
Or should I say Tuesday, ‎June ‎14, ‎2005, ‏‎8:54:24 AM
Given that info there must be a date stamp in the other files We have missed or not understood!
Old 01-05-19, 06:19 AM   #11
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Stickied

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 06:41 AM   #12
oskar123
Watch

Downloads: 29

I looked through their site but I have to say this looks complicated and I don't really understand it. I'm willing to learn of course but I don't really know where to start.
Old 01-05-19, 09:49 AM   #13
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It is not something that can be "mastered", or even used efficiently in just a few mouse clicks, unless you are already familiar with a similar proggie. At its basic level, it is a text editor, and can be used as an editor for programming C or Basic (and hex) or a myriad other programming languages, including scripting, or used just with plain text files. It can use templates to open files so that the user can more easily "see" a files structure, and it can use scripts to more easily utilize said file structure in a semi-automatic way.

010 is a tool, such as an electric saw with changeable blades. You can con-struct something, or you can de-struct something. I've been attempting to use it to pull certain data from certain files for studying and comparing. Thus far though, I'm having to take baby steps, even though I used to do C programming many many moons ago. I am better at getting "Invalid data type" or other error messages, than I am at getting usable results. It takes a while, and a lot of reading of the 010 documentation - and they have a lot of it. Most of us will probably never reach the level of understanding of the editor that Jeff-Groves has, but we can try, and have fun along the way...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 01:16 PM   #14
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

s7rikerback,

On the search for a dds file of a certain size? The opensearch.1sc can do it as is. Now I will refine it a bit to be more specific but it does work.

Put *.dds as the files to search and the size would be in what to look for.

Say you want to find dds files of 512
It will pull all dds files with 512 in the file size.
BUT! It will find the 512x1024 and such files. Thus the need to refine the search code a bit.

On the date of files search. 010 could be scripted to do this.
BUT!
Since that type info is stored in the hidden areas of a hard drive? It may be better to use other programs to do that for now.
Reason I say that is IF you make a mistake in that area you can easily trash a HD!
What I'm working with now is to copy FotrsU to a removable drive that has been formatted so it's clean. Nothing else is on it.
I can open and scan the dates of files in the hidden area of the master file table. This gives me the names and all the info we need.
As an example, put a usb stick in your computer. Open 010 and select open drive.
You'll get a prompt to install a template file. Do that then browser what pops up.
Best way to do that is format a usb stick then copy one file to it. Makes it easier to see and understand.
I'd suggest checking the read only box at first!

Now, my system has an SSD drive. Not sure why but I can not open that drive. Thus the copy to a removable drive.
What I'm looking at doing is to just copy the info (Names and dates stuff) we want to a file that you can then sort or search.

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 01-06-19 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-06-19, 03:11 PM   #15
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Saw a post about black units in SH5.
Did a quick look at files and saw a problem with the Units mentioned.
Pointers in the Rosters file to a file that does not exist.
Offered a 010 help on how to find any Units that do not have Normals UV mappings.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...8&postcount=37

Granted many Units from SH3 have TMAPs? most don't have Normals and most custom or modified have NO TMAPS.
But it will cut HOURS checking files!

This also applies to SH4!

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 01-06-19 at 03:20 PM.