SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-09, 10:54 AM   #76
ParaB
Chief

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0

I somehow can't get Jutland to run. Downloaded the game, installed, and run it. Clicked on 'Evaluation', the game starts in windowed mode but never loads to the main menu. I've allowed the game access via the windows (XP) firewall, I have no idea what's causing the problem. Any ideas?
ParaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 12:38 PM   #77
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlExal View Post
I downloaded demo to try it. Launched it and everything was ok. I've tried 2 scenarios (Duel and one other) and it was a really great) But then I tried to launch some other ones and game crashed the very moment I clicked at the name of the scenario at the menu. The same stuff happenned with most of the scenarios
Can you help me to resolve that problem?
I had that problem for a short time, but it cleared up after one of the larger updates. Sorry I can't remember what update. I thought the little patches had changed things enough to render some canned missions unusable.

Buddahaid
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-09, 10:42 AM   #78
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaB View Post
I somehow can't get Jutland to run. Downloaded the game, installed, and run it. Clicked on 'Evaluation', the game starts in windowed mode but never loads to the main menu. I've allowed the game access via the windows (XP) firewall, I have no idea what's causing the problem. Any ideas?
Sorry to be lagged here, been busy lately.

There are several potential causes here, but I'm not a techie so can't give you an answer. I suggest that you send in a report to the bug server, which you can find on a link in the Start\All Programs\Storm Eagle Studios\Jutland folder.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 01:05 PM   #79
CaptHawkeye
Weps

Downloads: 1

I'm interested in moving Jutland from my obsolete desktop to my waaaay better laptop. I know I can only have one of them active at a time though, how do I transfer the license?
CaptHawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 02:12 PM   #80
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHawkeye View Post
I'm interested in moving Jutland from my obsolete desktop to my waaaay better laptop. I know I can only have one of them active at a time though, how do I transfer the license?
Ctrl-F12 ingame, disable your license and then you can activate it normally on your other comp
Old 05-13-09, 02:55 PM   #81
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Just to clarify what Raptor said:

1. Start the game on your current computer.
2. At the main menu, hit CTRL-F12. This releases your license off the old computer. Write down your ID and password that appears in the box as you do this.
3. Install the game on the new computer and run it.
4. When the message comes up asking what you what you want to do, select ACTIVATE
5. Enter your ID and password that you wrote down in step 2. Voila.
Old 05-13-09, 05:50 PM   #82
CaptHawkeye
Weps

Downloads: 1

Hitting Ctrl-F12 in the menu doesn't get a response from the game for some reason.
CaptHawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-09, 09:47 PM   #83
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Hitting Ctrl-F12 in the menu doesn't get a response from the game for some reason.
It's SHF-F12. Sorry. I blame Raptor for confusing me .
Old 05-14-09, 12:49 AM   #84
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Ah, whoops, been a while since I did that
Old 05-27-09, 08:09 PM   #85
XLegion
Swabbie

Downloads: 2
Default Very very boring game but nice looking!

Well, the subject says it all. I have the trial version right now but I certainly can't see me paying $50 for this when I can't do a thing in the ten minute demo version. It's just too short to learn anything.

I can't even get the ships to fire or turn. I have read the pages in the pdf file concerning turning, targetting etc...but the scenario ends before anything happens. And I mean anything.

All I 'hear' is the chug of engines. I don't hear or see any gunfire. This game may have potential but the learning curve is probably tremendous for this thing and if it isn't how do I learn it?

Really nice looking, the best I have seen in a naval game. But it looks too much like "eye candy" and no game.

If anyone has any hints on how to learn the game from the demo I may purchase the final key version, but unless I can learn the demo. No way.
XLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 08:51 PM   #86
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLegion View Post
Well, the subject says it all. I have the trial version right now but I certainly can't see me paying $50 for this when I can't do a thing in the ten minute demo version. It's just too short to learn anything.
2 scenarios in the demo can be fought to the bitter end, however long that takes: Red Sky at Morning and The Duel. Jutland at 1548 runs for 20 minutes, which is enough to fight most of the Run to the South. But all the other scenarios only run 10 minutes.
Old 05-27-09, 09:50 PM   #87
XLegion
Swabbie

Downloads: 2

I didn't know about "The Duel" scenario so I tried that. I at least heard and saw gunfire but how the devil do you change course? I understand the left clicking to select the ship and then apparently you right click to bring up a turning menu and then these colored lines appear on the water. Now what? I right click, left click but the ships never turn.

I see an 'arrow' menus that says turn but by how much and how? I also don't understand how "I see" what is happening to my ship.

Like I said the learning curve will probably be steep but so far the game doesn't 'excite' me much to purchase. And I love Naval Surface games.
XLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-09, 10:39 PM   #88
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLegion View Post
..how the devil do you change course?
Left-click on a ship to select it. Right-click to bring up the orders buttons. Left-click on the one that looks like --> (course change). Once you do that, you can drag the mouse around the map and it trails a yellow arrow showing the path the ship(s) will follow. Move it to where you want and right-click to separate the arrow from the mouse and bring up the buttons for the type of turn you want to do. Left-click on the button for that type of turn, and voila. Also note that you can, before the last right-click, hit W. This sets a waypoint at that place from which you can bend the yellow arrow again. You can have about 11 waypoints.
Old 06-07-09, 02:18 AM   #89
turnerg
Bosun

Downloads: 37

BH:
Do you guys have an honest "suggestion box" sorta thing going for Jutland? Since you've already mushed my fingers a number of times on the modding question (Burninator on GameSquad forums) you guys are all I have to rely on to get this game just right..

There's just so many things that could use work, before we start going for extra ship packs and such (don't get me wrong, I REALLY want the Texas), for example:

Sound engine: Ambient sea noise, better fidelity of multiple sounds (more sounds at once, no more maxed out number of stuff going on), Umm, how about a music volume slider? Distance attenuation of sound, ie sounds are different between up close, and far away, speed of sound modeling (sounds taking time to travel across the water)

Graphics: The rain. PLEASE, a new rain effect, the current one just, well, could use work... New lighting, currently at night wakes, smoke, and other things tend to light up red, no matter what I do. Water, even at night, with ambient light all the way and backlighting turned down, practically glows. Seems by photos and descriptions I read, the sea at night can be almost an inky black, not glowing blue... Options for increasing how much smoke is generated, and how long it lasts... Which leads to smokescreens please..

The ships themselves look very good. Very detailed, yet not so poly crazy that a persons system is going to run 3 FPS when the fleet is present. So really nothing there to note. The big thing is the environment the ships are in. Great looking ships, in an okay sea/sky/world kinda pulls things back a bit. Best way to put it, the foundation of the game, the damage model, the gunnery, th super important part, is there and it's sound. From that foundation, I'd say on the eye candy (graphics) goal could be Silent Hunter 3's environment. It looks GREAT, almost photo realistic, and is easy on the framerates for any computer built in the last say 5-6 years.

As far as gameplay goes, the AI could use some work. I've yet to see the British fleet attempt to use their gunnery range advantage. Or, for that matter, form a proper battle line. And no matter what, if any element of the HSF, or even the scouting forces undocks, the entirety of the GF undocks and comes after me. Even just the scouting forces... Never mind the Brits bringing their BC's to counter, EVERYTHING comes out it seems...

And others casually mentioned it once before, but some sort of external bridge view of sorts would be incredible. Even just a reference point on the ship the camera locks to. Just to add that awesome battle immersion.

Oh, and BTW, was Jutland/DG by any chance built on any other pre-existing engines? I rembember there was an open source engine out a number of years abo called the OGRE engine, which has changed a lot over time btw... Just curious as to whether everything had to be built from the ground up, or whether you guys had a basis to start on in that regard.

I have this inevitable feeling that I will be playing Jutland and it's follow on series for a long, long time. If even some of the above gets addressed, you can be quite sure you will be seeing my credit card number a lot over the coming years!

Semper Fi Mac!
Old 06-29-09, 11:06 AM   #90
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Sorry to be lagged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerg View Post
Do you guys have an honest "suggestion box" sorta thing going for Jutland?
Yup. If you go to the bug report server, you can change the message type from being a game error to being a suggestion. And we do listen to suggestions. Quite a few things in both our games are the result of player feedback.

Quote:
BTW, was Jutland/DG by any chance built on any other pre-existing engines?
Nope. We have Norm to make our own engines. Well, Jutland was built kinda on the DG engine, but with enough serious changes and additions that it's practically a new engine.