SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-07-09, 04:23 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

2009 SUBSIM Werewolf Hunt - Signup and Q&A Thread

Welcome to the SUBSIM Werewolf Hunt

The Backstory

Darkness, shadows, stretching from the medieval tower known as Nightwatch all the way to the small village, Vanvikan. A nearly full moon rose over the highest spire of the tower, casting its eerily fateful light onto the village below.

And this is where we begin. You, each of the players, are members of a U-boat resupply station in wintery Norway, just across 9 miles of fjord north of Trondheim. You are guarding a secret fuel depot, resupplying U-boats, and some of you are U-boat crews resting after an arduous patrol. There were rumors of a disease spreading through the nearby village of Vanvikan. A plague. Some said it was the disease of the wolves: that at night, when the moon was full, a man would be turned into something else - an abomination, neither man nor wolf, but a terrifying creature of death. And they said it was the tower, Nightwatch, from where the plague came.

So here you are. The madness has begun - there is no way to leave the base until the nightmare ends. No one who ventures into the woods surrounding the base ever returns. And so you are trapped. No one knows who to trust, anyone could be infected with the disease. Your goal now is simply to survive.

Getting Started

The object of this game is to survive, and make sure your team survives. The first step is, obviously, to create your character.

There is a difference between creating a character for this game and most others: your character's class and abilities are secret. You will notify me by posting here that you are in the game. I will add your name to the player list. Once we have enough people (10 minimum, 20 is preferrable) I will give it another day or two and then close signups. Once this happens, the game will begin. Please note that you have to sign up BEFORE the game starts - once we're playing, you cannot join. Also, if you post regularly in the GT forum, your participation is strongly encouraged.

Once I have everyone's names, I put them in a random class generator of my own design. Everyone will be assigned a team and class randomly and I will PM you with your ID. The teams and classes are listed below:

The Humans

Human - Your normal, average human. This class receives no special powers, but they do get one bonus: for every three humans that vote to lynch the same person, they receive one extra vote. This makes teamwork among humans important.

Seer - The Seers are a special brand of human. Each night, they can check ONE person's alignment, to see if they are a human or a werewolf.

Guardian - The Guardians are armed humans. They're the closest thing our little band of survivors has to defense. Each night, they choose one person to protect. If that person is attacked by a werewolf, the Guardian will protect them and the werewolf is beaten back, without the Guardian or the person he is protecting being killed.

The Werewolves

Werewolf - The normal Werewolf is a terrifying beast. Each night, they choose one person to attack. If that person is not being protected by a Guardian, the werewolf will kill them. Bear in mind that werewolves can kill other wolves, if they aren't careful.

Hellhound - The Hellhound is a particularly nasty breed of werewolf, capable of overpowering even a human Guardian. These choose one person to attack each night, just as a normal werewolf does. However, if that person is a Guardian, they are killed just as if they were a normal human. Or if that person is being protected by a Guardian, BOTH players are killed. If, by chance, the Hellhound attacks someone defended by TWO Guardians, the Hellhound randomly kills one of the three players (The attackee, or one of the two Guardians).

Playing The Game

Playing The Werewolf Game is simple. The game is divided into two segments, the Day cycle and the Night cycle. As the moderator of the game, I will post in the thread when the Day cycle starts and when the Night cycle starts. Bear in mind that your alignment, wolf or human, and your class are secret. Only you know who you are and what your abilities are.

During the Day cycle, everyone is in their human form. During this time, the players may argue and debate as much as they want about who they believe is a werewolf. Bluffing, lying, and trickery is permitted. During this time, they discuss who they think may have been at the scene of the last killing, who should have seen something, who was missing and unaccounted for.... Then I will call for a vote on who they wish to lynch. The person who receives the most votes is lynched by the mob, and, being dead and all, is out of the game.

During the Night cycle, the werewolf players become hideous monsters bent on killing every human player in the game.
* Each werewolf will send me a PRIVATE MESSAGE saying who they wish to attack,
* while Seers tell me who they wish to search to find out if they are a wolf or not,
* and Guardians send me a message saying who they want to protect.

Once all the messages are in, or the time limit is up (typically 12 hours), I put together the results and post what happened during the night. Any unprotected human who was attacked by a wolf will be killed, the Seers will be private messaged the results of their search (what they do with this information is entirely up to them.). And then the Day cycle begins again, and the players must decide who they believe is a wolf and lynch them.

I will post each time the cycle changes from Day to Night, and back to Day. During the Day, the players may discuss (or argue, spazz, rant) who they want to kill. You must all vote before the specified time limit is up (about 12 hours), and the member with the most votes is lynched. I will then begin the night cycle, which works as described above.

The objective of the game is simple: If you're human, kill all the wolves so your team survives. If you're a wolf, kill all the humans so your team survives.

Remember, it is vital that you never reveal your team alignment or class to anyone. For example, a Seer cannot post, "I'm a Seer. Kill this person." Even if someone does post their ID or PM you for an alliance or to share info, you have no way of knowing if it is true and accurate. However, they can argue to try and kill that person. Convince others to see your side. Manipulate them for your own ends. Your survival is in your quick words.

Post here if you want to get in this game of mayhem, trust, distrust, and appearances.

Good luck.
Neal

Player list

stabiz
UnderseaLcpl
Raptor1
Penelope_Grey
Nisgeis
SandyCaesar
lesrae
Weiß Pinguin
Firewall
Chad
XabbaRus
Laufen zum Ziel
Fincuan
mookiemookie
Nokia
A Very Super Market
JCWolf
Aramike
Task Force
Hitman
NealT
Jimbuna
Contact
Oberon
Letum
Gorduz

ROSTER IS FULL

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 06-22-11 at 11:51 AM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 04:31 PM   #2
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Yar! Me is in!
Old 02-07-09, 04:40 PM   #3
UnderseaLcpl
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 0

Sounds fun, count me in.

I stole this sig from Task Force
UnderseaLcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 04:45 PM   #4
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Sounds like fun, count me in *sharpens backstabbing knife*
Old 02-07-09, 04:52 PM   #5
Penelope_Grey
Sea Lord

Cool.

Yes please

I SURVIVED THE FIRST EVER SUBSIM WEREWOLF HUNT - and... I actually won the game for the humans too!
Penelope_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 05:08 PM   #6
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Top hole old chap. Please count me in.
Old 02-07-09, 05:10 PM   #7
SandyCaesar
Chief

Yes, count me in. Stabbity, stabbity....

Aaaaaugh! It's a Werewolf!

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

(Hehe, what with all fantasy-obsessed teenagers, it's funny how words like "vampire" and "werewolf" take on a whole new meaning in a simulation forum.)

EDIT: Neal, should this be stickied?

Vanvikan, Feb. 2009: ordinary human, KIA, night 4

HMS Thanatus, May 2009: ??? human, KIA, night 7
SandyCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 05:17 PM   #8
lesrae
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

I'll be in it mate.
lesrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 05:18 PM   #9
Weiss Pinguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 101

Ooh

I like shiny games [I'm in]

(lol @ SandyCeasar)
Old 02-07-09, 05:36 PM   #10
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Count me in GRrrr

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 05:59 PM   #11
Chad
ACE

Downloads: 60

I'm in Sounds like fun
Old 02-07-09, 06:01 PM   #12
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Sounds like fun, count me in.
Old 02-07-09, 06:14 PM   #13
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCaesar
Yes, count me in. Stabbity, stabbity....

Aaaaaugh! It's a Werewolf!

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

(Hehe, what with all fantasy-obsessed teenagers, it's funny how words like "vampire" and "werewolf" take on a whole new meaning in a simulation forum.)

EDIT: Neal, should this be stickied?
NICE picture, BTW. Is that the machine that will be featured in Black Shark?
Old 02-07-09, 06:31 PM   #14
Laufen zum Ziel
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 853
Uploads: 457

Sounds like fun. I am in.
Old 02-07-09, 07:06 PM   #15
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

Jawohl, I'm in