SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-17-10, 05:15 AM   #16
SteelViking
The Old Man

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4

Hey man, your way of communicating may be blunt, but it was you who convinced me to make the sub interior the way it is(and you spurred me into doing a lot of research). So, don't write yourself off. You are the first actual member of the SH5 modding community that has called for a super mod team to form. At least, I don't remember any actual modders calling for one(if anyone did I am sorry that I can't recall) up until now it has been none modders wanting a supermod handed to them.

I must say though, I like your idea of having privateer as the leader of the team. He definitely has the experience, and he has marble cake which would help facilitate communication. However, he does not have a computer that can run SH5 at the moment, so that is a road block that would have to be overcome somehow.

On a side note. We are already kind of like a team, the SH5 modding community I mean. Many of us do work together already, and contribute to each other's mods, and advice/help/ideas are constantly being shared between all of us. I suppose the only thing lacking really, is coordination.

He sank 198,650 tons....who you ask?....Erich Topp, that's who!
SteelViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 05:18 AM   #17
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
"Sempher Fi"
?

I don't know the US, never went there.
But in case what you said was supposed to be latin language ?
It is Semper Fi for Semper Fidelis.
Always faithful.

Sorry, I just like latin language a lot.

[/OT]
Old 07-17-10, 05:56 AM   #18
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
?

Always faithful.
Yes, it is like commonly used slang. Why, I do not know.. "Semper Fidelis" is the motto meaning "Always Faithful" and it is plastered over almost every US Marine Corps Medal, Award, etc. I have. One Marine saying it to another is like saying "You can depend on me" or "I have your back". This motto falls in line with another saying within the Marine Corps "Once a Marine, Always a Marine". Even Marines kicks out of the service ratain this, it is burned into their soul and will never leave. Even if they are unwilling to admit it.

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 06:36 AM   #19
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
?

Always faithful.

Sorry, I just like latin language a lot.

[/OT]
Quote:
Yes, it is like commonly used slang. Why, I do not know.. "Semper Fidelis" is the motto meaning "Always Faithful" and it is plastered over almost every US Marine Corps Medal, Award, etc. I have. One Marine saying it to another is like saying "You can depend on me" or "I have your back". This motto falls in line with another saying within the Marine Corps "Once a Marine, Always a Marine". Even Marines kicks out of the service ratain this, it is burned into their soul and will never leave. Even if they are unwilling to admit it.
Alex....most military units (in Britain, regiments) have their own motto and I'm pretty sure it is the same in most countries, even your own, France.

Below is a link to the British mottos:

http://www.military-quotes.com/mottos/UK.htm

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 05:51 PM   #20
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30

@ TheBeast :

@ Jim : Aw, I see, well, here the famous "Legio Patria Nostra" springs to mind when you think about a a military unit's motto. But, since your language is not a latin one, more of a crossover between many others - VG and I were indeed speaking about that some time last year, out of curiosity and keen to learn a bit about each other's language - I just find it cool to see that you still use it in some way where you live, even though it's of no etymologic help to you, really.

Just stepped in cause I'm much of a litterary person - in my language that is - and like Latin a lot, hehe.

Thanks for the link !
Old 07-17-10, 06:42 PM   #21
SteelViking
The Old Man

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4

I figured that this is probably a good thread to post this on since it deals with teamwork/cooperation. I have been thinking about it, and I realized that there are 3 mods which all increase the realism of being under water. The three I am thinking of are: North Atlantic Green, Ailantd's impurity mod, and Ailantd's micro bubble mod. I don't really see why we should not go ahead and combine these three, it would help newer players since they would not have to hunt them down, and it would thin out everyone's mod soup. I could even decompress all the texture files associated with them, so that the smaller bubbles would not cause much of an fps hit.

The only reason I have not gone ahead and done this, is I have not seen Ailantd around in a while, and he does not mention usage rights in his documentation. As a result, I just don't feel comfortable redistributing his work. If anyone knows Ailantd's stance on use of his material, please let me know. Also, does anyone else like the idea of making a unified underwater mod?

He sank 198,650 tons....who you ask?....Erich Topp, that's who!
SteelViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 06:56 AM   #22
Nufsed
Sparky

Downloads: 500

Quote:
Yes it is but I really do not think Ubi is going to change the Model format any time soon if at all. No matter what happens, It is something that everyone is going to forced to deal with.
Discovering/Devoloping Tools in this area is a MUST DO action item for the entire SH5 MOD'ing community.

I've been trying to dodge this bullet. My People Skills are very blunt Marine Corps Style. I've been trying for many years to change that but even 20+ years after retiring from the military, some people have issue's with the way I say things. My younger sister avoided me for a very long time after I had been in the military for a while. She told me "every thing I say, sounds like I am giving orders.".
I have been Project Manager for many real life project and I've always had clashes with people that feel I am overbearing or just don't like the way I ask for things to get done. Always these clashes have been with people that had zero miltary background. i.e. One time someone, after finding out I was in the Marines said to me "Sempher Fi", I replied "Do or die!" as I always have. Later I found out that person really thought I had threatened his life. All I ment was "Complete your mission or die trying.". Maybe a bit to much Spartan for most(Come back with your sheild or on it).

Just seeing Ducimus here in this forums thread gives me hope that a team may form up. Even if he doesn't want to be part of it. I hope that some of the old school Hard Core MOD'rs Ducimus, Lurker, MadMax and many other will at least be available for advice and answer some "How do I" questions I am certain will surface.
You guys(GWX, TMO, OM, FoTRS, RFB, etc.) know so much about WWII history and how to get that into the game, your MOD's reak with the knowlege you guys have. I feel, it would be a great loss to everyone if we(SH5) were to lose access to the time and efforts you guys have already and or continue to put into the Silent Hunter Community. Please, do not stay away because of some stupid Ubi corporate mistake requiring a Constant Internet Connection.
I truely do not think the DEV's are responsable for this blunder but with all the anger flying around, they really have no choice but to hide from the masses. Personally, at first, I made a list of everyone listed in the SH5 Credits to put on my do not buy anything these guys worked on list. I have sence that time changed my mind, only Ubi and Blizzard remain on that list now. Do I feel I got burned buying SH5? Not really, maybe a bit singed but the bridge to my wallet definately got burnt down and it is going to take a lot on Ubi's part to repair that connection.
Ok, when this gets going I would like to offer my services for testing and any mundane data entry that needs doing. I'll take my chances, being shouted at by The Beast he can't be any worse than my wife

Nufsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 05:23 PM   #23
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

2 cents worth of advice if it's wanted.

*have a clearly defined goal. Remind yourself of this goal so you don't stray from it.

* do not attempt to do it all yourself.
Unless you like long hours, little sleep, lots of coffee, being grumpy, no life and having a sore ass from long hours in a computer chair. Or you want full creative control of the mod and don't like telling others what to do.

*delegate based on talents.
Every modder is best at something. Many can do many things, but they have areas of expertise they shine in. If you work with others, let them take on areas they're most interested or talented in. They're motivation will be higher, and the end work better. Try not to be critical if you don't agree with the results.

* being blunt doesn't always work.
When dealing with other modders you always have to watch what you say. It can, at times, be Kinda like tap dancing in a mine field. Finesse is best, but don't manipulate them. If you do, and they see you doing it, they could come to resent you for years to come. (Had it done to me, so i know)

* Exercise time management, and prioritize whats being worked on.
There are LOTS of problems to solve. It's more economical to work on 1 or more items you KNOW you can fix, then just one thing you THINK you can fix. And even then, not all problems are worth addressing right away. IMO priorize based on what directly effects the player the most. What do they see the most of?. The more the player directly interacts with it (whatever it is), the greater importance it has.
Side note. Eyecandy should always come in last place unless you have people where making eyecandy is all they do. Form without function is just a hallow shell.

* Keep the supermod in "modular form" while working on it. It makes it easier to revert changes, and its easier on your hard drive. Compile everything into one JSGME mod when your ready to publish. Until then, keep everything subdivided into JSGME modlets with no file conflicts. Use naming conventions with each modlet that denotes what it does.

* Do this, because you WANT to do this.
Not because you feel you have to. Create the game you want, your motivation will be higher. Tell yourself that If the end users don't like your vision of the game, then they can make their own.

That is advice only. Before anyone asks or insinuates. The answer is no.

You don't want me near you.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
project, sh5 megamod