SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-14-19, 10:40 AM   #1
DownPeriscope
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Merchants flying a false flag?

Does anyone know if this was ever done, and if so how common? I was under the impression that sub commanders would have to identify the nationality of the merchants before commencing an attack. Simply flying the flag of another country seems like an easy way to at least discourage getting attacked. I suppose or course this isn't going to work anywhere near port.

Even during peacetime, it was/is common for of merchants to fly a Flag of Convenience to get around various laws. Panama being a common flag. In this case it was semi-legitimate as the ships could "register" with any country. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_convenience
DownPeriscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-19, 03:03 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

DownPeriscope! SORRY WE MISSED YOU 4 YEARS AGO NICE SILENT RUN!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-19, 06:59 PM   #3
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

I think the declaration of unrestricted submarine warfare negates any benefits gained from flying a flag of convenience. Something to consider as well is the difference in maritime laws from the 1910's, 30's, and 40's compared to today. I get the feeling that flying a flag of convenience is more commonplace today than it was then during the World Wars. Regardless of what flag was flown then the sinking of neutral vessels still took place, particularly within declared zones.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-19, 10:52 PM   #4
DownPeriscope
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
I think the declaration of unrestricted submarine warfare negates any benefits gained from flying a flag of convenience. Something to consider as well is the difference in maritime laws from the 1910's, 30's, and 40's compared to today. I get the feeling that flying a flag of convenience is more commonplace today than it was then during the World Wars. Regardless of what flag was flown then the sinking of neutral vessels still took place, particularly within declared zones.
According to wikipedia page it has been done for quite some time, and in the interwar peacetime years was done mainly to get around labor laws:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_o...nience#History

"In the early phase of World War II the transfer of American-owned ships to the Panama registry was sanctioned by the United States government so that they could be used to deliver materials to Britain without dragging the United States, as a neutral, unintentionally into war"

I don't see a downside to merchant flying a false flag if they are at risk for uboat attack. Of course the territorial waters surrounding any belligerents were fair game. In WW2 I guess the Uboats had the complications of Ireland

Once the convoy system came into full force I guess it was a moot point. I supposed the uboat commanders didn't even bother checking by then.
DownPeriscope is offline   Reply With Quote