SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-17-21, 02:09 PM   #2581
Aramike
Ocean Warrior

Best of SUBSIM
Chairman

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Do you happen to have a guess-timate of a Lat / Long location? An approximate date? Thanks.
37^50N by 141^34E, freeze at exactly 19:28 on 28 Jan, 1942.

Thanks!
Aramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 02:13 PM   #2582
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramike View Post
37^50N by 141^34E, freeze at exactly 19:28.

Thanks!
Excellent! Thank you!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 02:15 PM   #2583
Aramike
Ocean Warrior

Best of SUBSIM
Chairman

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Excellent! Thank you!
Thanks for all your work! Updated with the date as that's probably important!
Aramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 02:48 PM   #2584
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

USS Balao, ex-Fremantle to Bismarck Sea (cover Dampier and Vitiaz Straits), several days leading up to approximately 10/10/43:

Tracked a four-ship convoy of small vessels. Six PBYs and several Mosquitoes sank three as we closed within 40 mm range, which we used to sink the fourth. No game issues with all this aerial activity. A day or so later, with no other activity on the radar/sonar/visual, a single aircraft approached our position at the SE approaches of the Dampier Strait from New Britain.

The game CTDed for no obvious reason. The type/nationality was never identified. Could it be a rare or new type that's misconfigured? Could explain some of the CTDs escaping Truk if so.

Restart patrol:

Fremantle-Dampier/Vitiaz-Admiralties-Papua coast-Halmahera Sea-Ceram Sea-Molucca Sea-Basilan Passage-Sibutu Passage-Makassar Strait-Fremantle. Sept-Nov 1943.

Issues:
- Other than sailing vessels, the only MV underway that we encountered was a DD we'd triggered by coming too close to one of the coastal bunkers in the Basilan Passage. Decided to raid a certain anchorage to finally score some tonnage, which led to the only MV merchant and two other warships on the entire patrol, all three anchored.

- The levitating flag issue on large sampans remains. They do not respond to AA fire.

- The 40 mms we upgraded to just before the start of the patrol have only a single crew position per gun, instead of two.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 02:50 PM   #2585
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: Game saves & CTD's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Ahoy, propbeanie...

Dang nab it...

If I'd have known it was vital to have kept that save around... I'd have made the copy of the save folder beforehand before doing that reload before the dock, office map crash occurrence & would still have it around... *sigh*

Ahhh well... sorry...

Will file that away for future reference, in case it crops up again...

M. M.

Quote:
No problem. Not vital to the operation... lol - We'll find it another way eventually. All it takes is a little patience, and knowing the correct incantation, where to stand, and to have the planets aligned properly with a harvest blue moon... quite rare, but it does happen...
Ahoy, propbeanie...

Have started My own ''If game CTD's, what to do for dummies'' manual, kinda like a Hayne's Repair manual... but in all seriousness, jokes aside... have it filed away for future reference, just the same... as it could always rear its head yet again... when ya least expect it to... yanno.

Not to say I want it to... as I really don't... but, better prepared & ready than to not be

M. M.

Old 01-17-21, 07:41 PM   #2586
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
ok, cool.

i took a look at the mission and the raft is available from like June 1, 1942 until the end of the war however the Contact Report Position time is a Minus 1. ReportPosMin=-1

remind me: what does that mean?

also, the raft is set at zero speed but it has two waypoints? aren't those mutually exclusive?
The minus 1 is "Off" or "No Report", no matter the time set. The "Available" date covers the time period that the raft can be spawned within. Your crossing of a trigger line will cause it to spawn. It's origination is set to zero for speed, but the waypoints are not. All craft that spawn will "drift" in the game when not anchored, so the raft will move toward its waypoint, gradually speeding up to the set speed of the next waypoint. When the raft reaches the area of its 2nd waypoint, it will "terminate". Therefore, you do have to be quick about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
USS Balao, ex-Fremantle to Bismarck Sea (cover Dampier and Vitiaz Straits), several days leading up to approximately 10/10/43:

Tracked a four-ship convoy of small vessels. Six PBYs and several Mosquitoes sank three as we closed within 40 mm range, which we used to sink the fourth. No game issues with all this aerial activity. A day or so later, with no other activity on the radar/sonar/visual, a single aircraft approached our position at the SE approaches of the Dampier Strait from New Britain.

The game CTDed for no obvious reason. The type/nationality was never identified. Could it be a rare or new type that's misconfigured? Could explain some of the CTDs escaping Truk if so.

Restart patrol:

Fremantle-Dampier/Vitiaz-Admiralties-Papua coast-Halmahera Sea-Ceram Sea-Molucca Sea-Basilan Passage-Sibutu Passage-Makassar Strait-Fremantle. Sept-Nov 1943.

Issues:
- Other than sailing vessels, the only MV underway that we encountered was a DD we'd triggered by coming too close to one of the coastal bunkers in the Basilan Passage. Decided to raid a certain anchorage to finally score some tonnage, which led to the only MV merchant and two other warships on the entire patrol, all three anchored.

- The levitating flag issue on large sampans remains. They do not respond to AA fire.

- The 40 mms we upgraded to just before the start of the patrol have only a single crew position per gun, instead of two.
We'll look into the gun issue, and the flag issue is fixed now, but what was a Fremantle Balao boat doing in the Bismarck Sea? You admit then, to dis-obeying orders of ComSubs SoWesPac, which basically means dis-obeying MacArthur himself!!! In the meantime, where you on the surface, or submerged at PD or elsewhere when the CTD came to visit? Also, which direction was the airplane coming from?

Old 01-17-21, 08:14 PM   #2587
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Quote:
We'll look into the gun issue, and the flag issue is fixed now, but what was a Fremantle Balao boat doing in the Bismarck Sea? You admit then, to dis-obeying orders of ComSubs SoWesPac, which basically means dis-obeying MacArthur himself!!! In the meantime, where you on the surface, or submerged at PD or elsewhere when the CTD came to visit? Also, which direction was the airplane coming from?
Negative, sir! Transfers make for some nasty planning inertia...uh...unusual mission choices, sir. Our current assignment is agent insertion off Manila, despite being transferred to Midway after that long, dry run on the last patrol. Ours not to reason why, sir...

We were on the surface when the contact appeared from the NE/ENE.

Edited to add: the Manila agent mission CTDed 20km from the drop zone as we sat dead in the water waiting for night. We'd just detected a nearby fishing boat and an incoming plane from the S. I heard the engine while using the cam to check out the fishing boat details, then went back to the control room and set TC to 30.

Last edited by Mios 4Me; 01-17-21 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Agent insertion CTD
Old 01-17-21, 10:14 PM   #2588
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
You admit then, to dis-obeying orders of ComSubs SoWesPac, which basically means dis-obeying MacArthur himself!!!
Which means a free beer from all the Aussie troops who are sick and tired of MacArthur
Old 01-17-21, 10:38 PM   #2589
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:

i think the CTD was his court martial for fishing in the neighbor's pond.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 10:42 PM   #2590
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
The minus 1 is "Off" or "No Report", no matter the time set. The "Available" date covers the time period that the raft can be spawned within. Your crossing of a trigger line will cause it to spawn. It's origination is set to zero for speed, but the waypoints are not. All craft that spawn will "drift" in the game when not anchored, so the raft will move toward its waypoint, gradually speeding up to the set speed of the next waypoint. When the raft reaches the area of its 2nd waypoint, it will "terminate". Therefore, you do have to be quick about it.
ok...if the raft spawns when we crossed the trigger line, i can say without a doubt that the raft did NOT spawn this time. i say that because we entered the pickup area very near to where the raft should have spawned and there was never any raft.

edit: i figured out why the raft did not spawn. send me a PM if you want to know the reason.

BTW, will the raft appear as a pilot-survivor appears?

we may repeat this mission in our next mission just to see if it fails again.

LAA enabled

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 01-18-21 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-19-21, 02:09 AM   #2591
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

USS Balao, ex-Midway, on an insertion mission to Manila, intercepted a NW-bound TF 319 km, 123 degrees from the port on Guam on 12/8/43 at approximately 0300. Radar indicated a BB, CV, and CA. After engaging the BB and CA, we discovered the CV, a Hiyo-class, alone and stationary 30 km SSE.
Old 01-19-21, 11:12 AM   #2592
propbeanie

Quote:
ok...if the raft spawns when we crossed the trigger line, i can say without a doubt that the raft did NOT spawn this time. i say that because we entered the pickup area very near to where the raft should have spawned and there was never any raft.

edit: i figured out why the raft did not spawn. send me a PM if you want to know the reason.

BTW, will the raft appear as a pilot-survivor appears?

we may repeat this mission in our next mission just to see if it fails again.

I am still throwing this one around the room, and I am almost certain it has to be something simple, because I can't figure it out... There are two courses of action here, but the one is "removal", which I really don't want to do, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
USS Balao, ex-Midway, on an insertion mission to Manila, intercepted a NW-bound TF 319 km, 123 degrees from the port on Guam on 12/8/43 at approximately 0300. Radar indicated a BB, CV, and CA. After engaging the BB and CA, we discovered the CV, a Hiyo-class, alone and stationary 30 km SSE.
Thanks! Excellent report, and we did find an issue! If anyone else finds a ship dead in the water, or even run aground, please positively ID it, and let us know ASAP, please!

Old 01-19-21, 12:51 PM   #2593
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Ahoy, propbeanie...

Quote:
I am still throwing this one around the room, and I am almost certain it has to be something simple, because I can't figure it out... There are two courses of action here, but the one is "removal", which I really don't want to do, but... Hopefully not... but... will understand if it has to be done.

Thanks! Excellent report, and we did find an issue! If anyone else finds a ship dead in the water, or even run aground, please positively ID it, and let us know ASAP, please!

Have yet to run across any at a dead standstill, or much less run aground... did have that 1 odd occurrence of getting 2 hydro contacts, yet no motor sound, much less sight of them when I was in the Lamon Bay area that I reported early on about... but outside of that, nope... no grounded ships yet, either. Should I do so, will make sure to see to getting a positive ID on them & report on them... will also see to getting a snap to go with the report, as well.
M. M.

Old 01-19-21, 01:13 PM   #2594
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

Quote:
I am still throwing this one around the room, and I am almost certain it has to be something simple, because I can't figure it out... There are two courses of action here, but the one is "removal", which I really don't want to do
per my PM to you, i changed the spawn date to 6/1/42 and the mission works as desired, sort of.
because of the spawn date AND the trigger of the sub entering the zone, the raft spawns during the dropoff phase of the mission.
that lacks a certain realism.
if we can figure out how to eliminate that we have a great mission.

LAA enabled
Old 01-19-21, 02:36 PM   #2595
propbeanie

I just found the issue, and it does have to do with the proper use of a keyboard, and my sprelling skillz (or lack thereof)... sigh...