Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-21, 01:31 PM   #1
Tigershark
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Silent Hunter 5 Tonnage war

In Silent Hunter5 I have reached "Tonnage Wars" March-April 1943.

In this section of the game you have to sink 100,000 tons of merchant shipping. My best so far is around 50,000 tons.

I find that by setting my torpedo depth to 5 meters & firing directly from astern of the target ship making my torpedo hit the ships propellers stops the ships so that I can surface(at a distance) & sink the ship with my deck gun.

Even doing this & replenishing my weapons from a milk cow I still cannot reach 100,000 tons & the short time span of this mission will not leave enough time to return to port to re-arm then return to the patrol area.

Has anybody completed this section, or is it set so that you can never win?
Old 01-08-21, 02:41 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

do not return to port where the time delay is preventive. Go to any convenient friendly port where you can get a 'refit' with new eels, fuel, and deckgun shells and return immediately to the hunt. Remaining relatively undamaged is essential to do this effectively. Getting into the convoy and attacking from dead astern with a deck gun coup de grace was also my favorite tactic. No need for fancy TDC work then; just zero the scope and fire as U bear-mindful of the eel-s arming distance and situational awareness to aviod collisions. "One ship one torpedo" as per Silent Otto KretschBBY is best remembered... troopships are the best they have large tonnage and sink with one eel.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-21, 10:33 AM   #3
Tigershark
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Thanks Aktungbby

Thanks for the advice Aktungbby.
I was beginning to think that this mission was set up so that you could never complete it.
Old 01-09-21, 01:36 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Well, keep it a secret! I'm not normally helpful; contact me again when you have to sink 5 troopships of the 'Churchill Express' enroute to South Africa and Capetown....that one's a toughy!.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote