SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-01-21, 04:53 PM   #1
prowler3
XO

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0
Default Well...I give up for now.

There are apparently too many ways to make SH3 work...and too many ways to jack the whole thing up. I can't explain how I got it to work last week, with GWX and SH3Commander working...with the 1.4 update and the 4gb patch AND no Starforce errors? My attempts today have used all sorts of different ways and various .exe's to make it work...and they all failed, at some point. I can't explain as I don't know of anything I did differently. Heck...I had the ARB 1920 installed and was working on the torpedo mission in the Academy. Now, it seems, if I use "option A", I must use it for this mod, and maybe that mod...but not the other mod. Sheesh! I just want to make SH3 1.4, GWX3 and SH3 Commander capable...and use JSGME for all future mods.

I will wait for a generous friend's help (see my latest, my friend!) and see what transpires after that.

I do have some concerns about how..."fractured" the sub simming community has become? Some of the places I visited for help with all the various issues spent a lot of time ranting about various sub simming sites? I hate that it has come to that but have not been that active to understand what has transpired...and will not comment.

Sink them all!
prowler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-21, 07:24 PM   #2
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler3 View Post
There are apparently too many ways to make SH3 work...and too many ways to jack the whole thing up. I can't explain how I got it to work last week, with GWX and SH3Commander working...with the 1.4 update and the 4gb patch AND no Starforce errors? My attempts today have used all sorts of different ways and various .exe's to make it work...and they all failed, at some point. I can't explain as I don't know of anything I did differently. Heck...I had the ARB 1920 installed and was working on the torpedo mission in the Academy. Now, it seems, if I use "option A", I must use it for this mod, and maybe that mod...but not the other mod. Sheesh! I just want to make SH3 1.4, GWX3 and SH3 Commander capable...and use JSGME for all future mods.

I will wait for a generous friend's help (see my latest, my friend!) and see what transpires after that.

I do have some concerns about how..."fractured" the sub simming community has become? Some of the places I visited for help with all the various issues spent a lot of time ranting about various sub simming sites? I hate that it has come to that but have not been that active to understand what has transpired...and will not comment.

Sink them all!
The ARB mod can cause a lot of conflicts. I'd suggest a re-install of 1.4, GWX and SH3 Commander before giving up as chances are by now your install is corrupted.
Plenty of folks use ARB but get a stable install per above first.
Old 01-02-21, 03:17 AM   #3
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

You have PM
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 10:06 AM   #4
Hanzberger
Helmsman

Downloads: 140

Keep trying and if need be post questions. We will get you in das boat ASAP!
I was fortunate enough to have help here to get mine going.
I messed up my weather but finally got that fixed.
Some key things:
You actually have to load the game and have it working once for SH commander to work. If by chance you start over, reinstall, delete the folders in your doc menu in windows. This caused me a headache. (Win 10, Win button, documents)
Key point 2: Run your commander, jsgme, and esp SH3 exe in compatibilty mode Windows 7, also run all these as Administrator. I had a lot of CTD's but none since. Still careful on scrolling the map zoomed out though. LOL
Key point 3: ask someone here if they could send you a setup already done.
This would be a patched SH3, and mods, also a list of order to install.
I have an orginal copy and a steam copy. I use the steam copy. You can delete and re dl from steam forever. And its already patched and wo starforce.
Not sure of current prices but usually around 4$ from steam.
Hanzberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-21, 05:07 PM   #5
prowler3
XO

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzberger View Post
Key point 3: ask someone here if they could send you a setup already done.
This would be a patched SH3, and mods, also a list of order to install.

I will be receiving a copy of a patched, SF free, 1.4 SH3 at some time...from another member who cares......
Many of the "newer" mods I see, to get SH3 working, have all sorts of limitations regarding how you add other mods, SH3 Commander ,etc. I prefer just having a clean install of SH3 1.4 without any SF BS. I can take it from there
This ain't my first rodeo with SH3 ...it just seems to be much harder than previously...not sure why that is. My media and dl's haven't changed.
prowler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 06:56 AM   #6
FeatsOfStrength
Gunner

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler3 View Post
I will be receiving a copy of a patched, SF free, 1.4 SH3 at some time...from another member who cares......
Many of the "newer" mods I see, to get SH3 working, have all sorts of limitations regarding how you add other mods, SH3 Commander ,etc. I prefer just having a clean install of SH3 1.4 without any SF BS. I can take it from there
This ain't my first rodeo with SH3 ...it just seems to be much harder than previously...not sure why that is. My media and dl's haven't changed.
I blame Windows 10 and modern hardware, though despite having a computer that must be 100x faster than what I had when I first played SH3 on Windows XP the performance seems about equal, if not a bit worse using the fancy mods that we have these days.
FeatsOfStrength is offline   Reply With Quote