SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-24-20, 09:05 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

radar Life Aboard US Navy Ballistic Missile Submarine USS Wyoming – In Stunning 4K

Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-20, 09:35 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I'm wondering how many women (percentage wise) are in these crews

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-20, 10:06 AM   #3
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I'm wondering how many women (percentage wise) are in these crews
Figure out the number of bunks in an Ohio Class "bunkroom" and use that number as a multiplier.

I'm assuming the Navy still doesn't believe in unisex or co-ed berthing.

Also, it depends on whether we're talking officers and/or enlisted.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-20, 07:32 PM   #4
Pablo
Commodore

Downloads: 165

Hi!

The US Navy's been slowly integrating more women since about 2011: officers first, then senior enlisted, then junior enlisted - largely due to the bad experiences of many female enlisted sailors when the Navy integrated the surface force. US Navy is not giving out specific numbers of sailors, but they're planning to integrate at least 21 boats over time. One SSBN skipper was cashiered a couple of years ago for failing to foster discipline & professionalism in his crew.

The SSBNs & SSGNs (ex-SSBNs) are large enough that they have enough room to arrange for separate berthing areas for female personnel, but the current attack boats do not, so the Navy's incorporating separate berthing areas into the remaining unbuilt Virginia-class SSNs and designs of the next-generation Columbia-class SSNs and New Jersey-class SSBNs.

Here's the URL to a recent (well, last year) Navy Times article on the subject: https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...e-submariners/

"...far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt, speech before the Hamilton Club, Chicago, April 10, 1899
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-20, 12:06 AM   #5
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

My grandpa knows a dude who was a Green Beret and his opinion was that women shouldn't be in Spec Ops or the military for that matter. His reasons were:
1. They get pregnant half the time and then the pregnant woman has to go back to the states and a replacement comes in.
2. They cannot pull their own weight and they are worthless in battle as you cannot rely upon them to have your back when need be. They're always whining and complaining too.

I can't voice my real opinion without getting into trouble so I'm gonna keep quiet.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-20, 07:59 AM   #6
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
2. They cannot pull their own weight and they are worthless in battle as you cannot rely upon them to have your back when need be. They're always whining and complaining too.
I’ve got quite a few women in my firefighting brigade, and they’re some of the most reliable and hardworking firefighters I know. One is even an emergency room nurse as her paid work. Not a peep of whining out of them either.

I think it makes sense to let women into the military if they’re held to the same physical and disciplinary standards as men. If they can do it, let them.
Old 12-26-20, 09:43 AM   #7
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
The SSBNs & SSGNs (ex-SSBNs) are large enough that they have enough room to arrange for separate berthing areas for female personnel, but the current attack boats do not, so the Navy's incorporating separate berthing areas into the remaining unbuilt Virginia-class SSNs and designs of the next-generation Columbia-class SSNs and New Jersey-class SSBNs.
The Ohio's actually have bunk "rooms" which allows for easier integration, whereas fast boats berthing is more akin to a passageway. And ya got a little typo there, Columbia SSBNs and Virginia Blk 4 SSNs.

Quote:
My grandpa knows a dude who was a Green Beret and his opinion was that women shouldn't be in Spec Ops or the military for that matter. His reasons were:
1. They get pregnant half the time and then the pregnant woman has to go back to the states and a replacement comes in.

I can't voice my real opinion without getting into trouble so I'm gonna keep quiet.
Number 1 is very real and will sometimes happen on purpose in order to avoid going on deployment. As for number 2, there's men who can't pull their own weight and whine and complain all the time as well.

On another note, wasn't it the Wyoming that had the shower cams installed in the officers head?

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-20, 10:36 AM   #8
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
My grandpa knows a dude who was a Green Beret
What the #### does that have to do with anything?
At the legion hall, we're all former Green Berets.

Don't paint yourself into a corner before you're old enough to dance.
Somewhere, someone knows what they're doing. I'm not on-board 100% but I'm willing to give them a chance.
Old 12-26-20, 11:33 AM   #9
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
As for number 2, there's men who can't pull their own weight and whine and complain all the time as well.
..and we know which division they work for.

Here's a hint, their boss is the Weps.
Old 12-28-20, 09:13 AM   #10
Pablo
Commodore

Downloads: 165

Quote:
On another note, wasn't it the Wyoming that had the shower cams installed in the officers head?
Hi!

It was Wyoming - the camera was installed to view the showers. The case was resolved five years ago: twelve sailors were charged, seven of which were court-martialed, with ten convictions overall. Penalties consisted of varying amounts of brig time, demotions, and reductions in pay. The sailor who placed the camera received 10 months in the brig and a bad conduct discharge.

Read all about it here: https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...er-video-case/

"...far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt, speech before the Hamilton Club, Chicago, April 10, 1899
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-20, 10:34 PM   #11
sdmuleman
Nub

Downloads: 3

Quote:
The Ohio's actually have bunk "rooms" which allows for easier integration, whereas fast boats berthing is more akin to a passageway. And ya got a little typo there, Columbia SSBNs and Virginia Blk 4 SSNs.
Not all the block IV boats though. 796 (New Jersey) is the first SSN configured for enlisted women. Female officers are already onboard several SSNs. Most of the SSBN/GN fleet has both enlisted and officer women.

Yes, Ohio backrooms allow easier intergration, but it's still a significant alternation. It's not just a matter of the bunkrooms also, as heads and CPO quarters are also impacted, with some quite significant work on the crew heads to make the forward one female only (with reduced size) and enlarge the aft head to compensate.
sdmuleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-20, 10:51 PM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

sdmuleman!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-20, 08:17 AM   #13
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmuleman View Post
Not all the block IV boats though. 796 (New Jersey) is the first SSN configured for enlisted women. Female officers are already onboard several SSNs. Most of the SSBN/GN fleet has both enlisted and officer women.

Yes, Ohio backrooms allow easier intergration, but it's still a significant alternation. It's not just a matter of the bunkrooms also, as heads and CPO quarters are also impacted, with some quite significant work on the crew heads to make the forward one female only (with reduced size) and enlarge the aft head to compensate.
Welcome to Subsim. Great first post.

Tags
boomer, us submarine