SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-25-20, 11:47 AM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I wonder how they financially realise it. I think they almost "must" run a service like iRacing in the world of car racing: a subscription model, that is.

I also wonder about the specs what the following videos show and reveal, sound slike a real bummer. 600 miles viewing range, that alone already is a killer mark.

It looks fantastic, yes, and until 2.5 years ago this woulod hjave been a no brainer to me. But I am used to Google Earth in VR, that also is a mark which is difficult to beat, so to me it is about how they realise the big airliner complexity realism in cockpit.

I say this ^ today. When release day comes, I probably will give in and turn out to be a weak vasall of the commercial business empire - if the price is reasonable or the subscription model is priced reasonably. If it goes crazy like iRacing, I am out. However, this is a great opportunity for MS to do advertizing for its own Bing, so I think it is not their interest to price this too high - even more so since on the hardware side this so far looks as if needing serious investments by many interested potential customers as well. As a once-for-a-lifetime price I have 100 coins as my limit for this, and subscription: thinking of 40-50 per year being my limit. I have not too uch love for subscirptions, though not fundamwentally oppoosuin g therm alltogethekr I was subscriber to The Hunter for over 6 years. I just do not accept it to become my choice by routine, like I also do not accept payware TV or payware streaming of subscriptions of magazines or newspapers. Buying - okay, fine with me, but I just dont like subscription.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-25-20 at 11:58 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 05:29 PM   #17
Skybird
Soaring

Investigating the web, it seems that the specs demanded for the Alpha focussed on 32 GB RAM, but it is expected that 16 GB will suffice as minimum specs. Recommended CPU power gets mentioned to be in the range of i7 7700K. A serious GPU can be expected as a must have. Talk is of 1070TI as minimum.

32 GB RAM, if true: wowh. Finally brings my 32 GB RAM to use, I doubled it last year in expectation of needing it while doing multi-hours-video editing, but then found that I did not even need 16 GB nevertheless, so I wasted money there. Would not mind to bring it to use with this one then.

All in all I am confident that my system is absolutely in striking distance.
Old 02-12-20, 11:53 PM   #18
Kristofer Considine
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

Oh, interesting. I was amazed at this, looking no different from reality.
Kristofer Considine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-20, 02:03 AM   #19
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Kristopher Considine!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-20, 02:06 PM   #20
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

I'm curious to know how many Gigs it will end up being? I know that some recently released gaming titles like Red Dead Redemption 2 and Train Sim World take up around 100GB of space. Maybe this will push the limits?
Old 07-20-20, 03:31 PM   #21
Skybird
Soaring

August 18th will be the day of days!

No subscription model, but three versions, costing 60, 90 and 120 US dollars.

I read on a German site it comes on 10 DVDs. Installation will take 150 GB (that amazes me a bit, since even already Dirt Rally 2.0 takes far over 100 GB, and that are just rally stages and some cars).

Last edited by Skybird; 07-20-20 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-20-20, 04:19 PM   #22
Skybird
Soaring

Official website:

https://www.flightsimulator.com/
Old 07-20-20, 05:31 PM   #23
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Neuerburg View Post
I'm curious to know how many Gigs it will end up being? I know that some recently released gaming titles like Red Dead Redemption 2 and Train Sim World take up around 100GB of space. Maybe this will push the limits?

Will be available on 10 dual layer DVD's, coming in at about 90GB for those without the bandwidth to download.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-20, 12:37 AM   #24
Skybird
Soaring

Am i wrong or do you need a Microsoft Shop account or something like that...?!
Old 07-21-20, 02:56 PM   #25
Skybird
Soaring

14 years apart.

Old 07-22-20, 05:00 AM   #26
Skybird
Soaring

Full preview from a pilot.
Old 07-22-20, 03:53 PM   #27
Skybird
Soaring

I was wondering how installation and operaiton actually work, and found this great explanation by Aerosoft'S Mathijs Kok.
https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php...comment-990011

Quote:
Friends, there have been a lot of questions about how the DVD versions exactly work during installation and how the boxed sim differs from the download version. Here is the low-down. Do not worry about it. Insert the first DVD, click okay and follow instructions on the screen. Get a drink as it will take a while.
  1. The DVDs contain only the installer and the content (aircraft, world etc). The actual simulator software is downloaded during installation. That way you always have the latest version. For this the installer will guide you through the creation of an Xbox account (if you do not have one) etc. That means you need an active internet connection during installation. You also need a connection to run the simulator (it updates itself at every start when needed). But to be frank, it makes very little sense to run this offline.
  2. After you ran the DVD installation, you will be asked to re-insert DVD 1. This will be checked during the activation.
  3. At the first start the sim will check all files and update everything that is needed. As time progresses this will be a larger download.
  4. From the users perspective you will end up with exactly the same version as somebody who bought it at the Microsoft Store.
Keep in mind that the sim consists of four parts:
  1. The simulator itself, obviously mandatory.
  2. The default content (basic world, aircraft etc). This default world is on it's own far better then FSX could ever deliver. This is a mandatory part, always part of the simulator..
  3. The downloaded content (more details for the world, better ground imagery, far more correctly placed trees etc etc). This comes in 'blocks' that can be buffered on your system so if you always fly from Detroit it will not have to be loaded every time). Contrary to what some less informed sources say there is absolutely NOTHING indicating this is paid content or will be paid content. We do not sell a time limited simulator. This is an optional part, you do not have to stream any scenery, weather or traffic.
  4. Third party content that can buy from the build in store or from external shops. Obviously optional, it is a super sim without add-ons.
If you buy and install the boxed version with DVDs, you will need to have DVD1 in the machine everytime you launch the sim. You can run the sim offline (and it then will not stream scenewry but will sitll look so much better by HD-inbstalled content than 14 year o9ld FSX), but for launching it at the start, you need to be online it seems, once, with DVD in the player.

Whether it makes sense to need to enter the DVD for authentification, can be argued, we have Stesam as an exmaple, it is the year 2020, I think Microsoft has not slept well before making this decision. Makes the download version of the game most likely the way to go, since you seem to need an XBox account anyway, DVD and download version alike.

The sim has no VR at start, and while they said they will look at it later, I doubt that it will get it any time soon. The sim is hardware heavy, its a flight sim, and to put another ressource killer on top of it like VR, is an idea that proibabyl doe snot work out too well. I will not miss it regarding airliners, since all that button pushing and flight comouter propgramming in VR in XPlane 11 I found to be not working too well. VR is nice in light, easy, uncomplicate dplanes wher enot many buttons need to be pressed. But button heavy cockpit environment in VR? No, thanks. Also, the resolution of VR and depth of view is still not where it should be for beautiful stuff like this.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-22-20 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-25-20, 01:47 PM   #28
Skybird
Soaring

If I interprete it correctly what I read in a forum, then PMDG is already doing the Boeing 737 NG3 for the new sim. Thats great news, for it shows two things: first the heavy wieght sin addon develöopümnent are in the boat, second there can and will be addon cockpits of complexity and sim weight possible and available for the new sim.

To get PMDG planes is pripority for me, PMDG simply are the best of the best.

Old addons cannot be carried over to the new sim. And after 14 years, that should not surprise anyone.
Old 08-05-20, 02:04 PM   #29
Skybird
Soaring

These developers have been confirmed to have gotten the SDK developer tool kit early and beign engaged in development for addons. There might be more, but these are confirmed.

– PMDG
– A2A Simulations
– Aeroplane Heaven
– DC Designs
– Just Flight
– Carenado
– CGN Dev
– Aerosoft

– ORBX
– FSimStudios
– Flightbeam
– Gaya Simulations
– Imaginesim
– Pilot Experience Sim
– UK2000 Scenery
– Verticalsim
– JustSim
– TDM Scenery Design
– MK-Studios
– Vidan Designs
– Pacific Island Simulations
– LatinVFR
– FlyTampa

– REX Simulations
– FS2Crew
– OnAir Company
– VATSIM
– PILOTEDGE

No doubt, the new title is going "all in".
Old 08-13-20, 08:04 AM   #30
Skybird
Soaring

From their Q&A:

Q: Is Microsoft Flight Simulator going to be released on Steam or the Epic Store?
A: Microsoft Flight Simulator is available on Steam. We have no news to share regarding additional versions, but our goal is to have Microsoft Flight Simulator available on as many platforms as possible.

Q: Is there any differences between the Steam and Microsoft Store version?
A: There is no difference. The sim shares the same multiplayer world and services.
Q: Will people that have the sim on Steam be able to play together with people from Microsoft Store?
A: Yes, the sim shares the same multiplayer world, content and services. However, if you purchase through steam, you will not be able to use the Xbox Play Anywhere functionality (PC Windows 10 and Console).
Q: Are achievements cross-platform?
A: Achievements are not cross-platform. If you unlock achievements on Xbox Live, they won't unlock on steam and vice-versa.
Q: Will people that have the sim on Steam be able to play together with people from Microsoft Store?
A: Yes, the sim shares the same multiplayer world, content and services. However, if you purchase through steam, you will not be able to use the Xbox Play Anywhere functionality (PC Windows 10 and Console).
Q: Is license sharing allowed on PC?
A: No, there is no license sharing. It requires explicit authentication per session.