SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-07-11, 08:24 PM   #31
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Are you familiar with the '6-Dials' mod that FBL-Sale made for SH3? It removes everything, and turns it all into slideouts. I'm sure the same could be done for SH4. At least I hope so.
Hi mate,

Yes i am pretty familiar with it because i base my first GUI on his wonderful work and after that Mak join the team and give us state of the art GUI so i abandon it.

Best regards Hans

Hans Witteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 07:38 AM   #32
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Sorry to say that modding the GUI will not be as easy as you might think I have tried following karamazovnew instructions and didn't manage to do anything, it simply is too complicated for me.

HOWEVER

There are two good news:

1) Karamazov already did beautiful slideout panels for TDC and Torpedo settings which virtually leave as sole job to do the background images for persicopes, which is easy enough to do

2) SH5 tools do IIRC work with SH4 interface, and can be used to reposition and resize items. Privateer might be able to confirm or detail this
Old 09-08-11, 11:31 AM   #33
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Dear Hans:

The SH4 Project looks fantastic. I recommend you the SH4 1.5 /with U Boat mission), install Lurker´s Operation Monsun and take a look at this mod. There is a lot to study in this mod (campaign structure, ships imported from SH3, GUI, etc.). Also, you can try the Nine-Delta_Two mod by Ducimus, an improvement from stock U - Boat Mission with a Type IXD2 with interiors and crew.

I think there is a lot of possibilities in SH4 for an Atlantic Campaign and a supermod HAHD in the 1.5 version!

I continue in the work with the tutorials and texturizing ships in SH3. These ships are easily convertibles to SH4. I installed a good quantity of VonDos ships to SH4 (TMO Pacific Campaign), and scripted in the campaign. No problems...

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 11:58 AM   #34
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30
Default reaper7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Sorry to say that modding the GUI will not be as easy as you might think I have tried following karamazovnew instructions and didn't manage to do anything, it simply is too complicated for me.

HOWEVER

There are two good news:

1) Karamazov already did beautiful slideout panels for TDC and Torpedo settings which virtually leave as sole job to do the background images for persicopes, which is easy enough to do

2) SH5 tools do IIRC work with SH4 interface, and can be used to reposition and resize items. Privateer might be able to confirm or detail this
I can confirm this, I already have done this with Sh3 using SH5's Menu Editor to create and get x,y coordinates for dials and items.
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 02:10 PM   #35
ryanwigginton
Weps

Downloads: 68

Doh! Now, I have two HAHD threads to follow! lol

Try CapnScurvey and take a good look through his Optical Targeting Correction mod. Some excellent work there that may provide guidance/inspiration. Hopefully you'll get some support from other SH4 masters like Ducimus and lurker_hlb3, even if it's only in the form of advice.

Good luck Hans!
Old 09-08-11, 02:58 PM   #36
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230

I absolutely love this GUI.Just imagine it with the image background of the scope but the pic taken from HAHD scope and with Makman doing his magic to fix the look.

Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 03:50 AM   #37
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
Well Thanks to Ref?
90% of any SH3 Unit can be converted in less then a second.
So any transfer of existing SH3 Units to SH4 has less work involved.

I can't release it but I can do the conversions.
I can probably write an app to handle what it does not.
Thus cutting another 10% time loss.

I can also have them setup to run a complete folder and all subfolders/files.

10 minutes?
Any and all SH3 Units are converted and would only need detail work.

To use this Tool from Ref requires Credits to Him and The GWX Team.
I don't think that's a problem is it?

We are not talking about blind transfer of models of submarines and other units in SH4 ... project will be really interesting in SH4 only if all carried models will be reworked up to the level of SH4.

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 05:45 AM   #38
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart View Post

We are not talking about blind transfer of models of submarines and other units in SH4 ... project will be really interesting in SH4 only if all carried models will be reworked up to the level of SH4.
sure, in the first step, we talk about blind transfers.

your idea would be interesting, but seems impossible. there will never be as much people, as needed for such a task. some models might be reworked, the mass of imported stuff cant be conversed, i think. would be more interesting to add 3d stuff from sh5 to sh4, instead of export it from sh3. dont know, if this might work.

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 06:00 AM   #39
Anvart
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by urfisch View Post
... to add 3d stuff from sh5 to sh4 ...
Yes, as part of what I have said above... and again, with reworking.
SH4 with a blind-transfer of SH3 models me personally does not appeal to... "this gum" does not match the level of game.

P.S. ... also note the number of viewing this forum... very low rating.

Last edited by Anvart; 09-09-11 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-09-11, 10:06 AM   #40
urfisch
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart View Post
Yes, as part of what I have said above... and again, with reworking.
SH4 with a blind-transfer of SH3 models me personally does not appeal to... "this gum" does not match the level of game.

P.S. ... also note the number of viewing this forum... very low rating.
this would definitely change, im sure about this, anvart. all the critic about sh4 and the preferring of sh3 is a question of faith and the discussion is emotional, not rational. just think about the look and feel of sh3, with sh4 technology. and there would be more to come...cause sh4 allows much more beeing created. nice stuff. sh5 is crap, compared to what we can make of sh4.

and suddenly all of sh3 players notice:

"****...man, this definitely is sh3 with better graphics and even better gameplay! its like we all exspected sh5 was to come!!!".

so, we will see. personally i would love to see you onboard, taking part in this progress. will be great fun to go for a new sh3!...

Old 09-09-11, 10:37 AM   #41
Anvart
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by urfisch View Post
this would definitely change, im sure about this, anvart. all the critic (???) about sh4 and the preferring of sh3 is a question of faith and the discussion is emotional, not rational...

Yes, your emotions are evident.
Personally, I do not care what platform will builded Hans mod. After several years of modding and poor development of the SH series as a simulator with elements of arcade game, I totally lost interest in her.
I just wanted to express my views on the issue.
... and do not need convince me in anything - it is useless.

Last edited by Anvart; 09-09-11 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-09-11, 12:24 PM   #42
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

... following the discussion initiated in the SH3 HAHD thread, TheDrakWraith wrote:

Quote:
You are very misinformed about SH5 then. But please continue to think that way as we don't need people who think like you do in our SH5 forums
I think we all know by now that SH5 is the platform with most potential and most open to changes. But the main problem is that unfortunately any relevant changes are limited to people with very advanced skills like you or Privateer. Of course, in SH3/4 many things were like that, and had Swakjer not jumped in, we would still be sitting in the stone age, so to speak (Regarding tools that the average guy can use, not of course the hexeditors that only some brilliant minds can profit from). But the difference is that while in SH3/4 lots of brilliant minds pured in, following the worldwide success of SH3, the fiasco of SH5 has cut the community's wings almost completely.
What will happen to SH5 once you've had enough of it, TDW? SH3/4 can live and grow strong to their limits thanks to all that has been done, but SH5's potential is still largely unlocked and its fate lies in the had of very few people.

Quite frankly, SH4 as modding platform is nowadays a sure bet, while SH5 still is a promise. Even with all the brilliant and hard work you and other guys have put into it, I fail to see an area excet graphics where it has clearly surpassed SH3/4.

And as Makman brilliantly put it in the other thread, graphics are OK for a week of "Ohhhh" "Ahhhhh" "Wooooohhhh" but then ... you need gameplay.

That HAHD over SH5 would be simply the best thing next to sex with Miss Universe is clear to me, but HAHD has many more chances of being finished with SH4 than us having sex with Miss Universe, and that is the problem.

My 2 cents
Old 09-09-11, 01:48 PM   #43
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230

I always think...why are modding communities so separated.If you look at modding teams in other games you will see what can happen is amazing when many form as one.

IMHO I would go for SH5 as main HAHD sim.It has scripting possibilities fellas.This allows so much to be added to the "simulation"....am I right?Look at TDW's work of adding in real navigation with things like asking the NO for a fix and getting response that weather is too bad.Possible to script in that every sub having its own dive model!!Sub in SH5 already has the function of a 3D walkaround as basis so new subs should be easily ported?? Sober or trevally(sorry I dont know exact)is working on the navigation buoys for ports to be exactly where they should be etc and on and on and on..........

I still can't understand the way people are so attached to a certain version and constantly saying the other is bad.....same game engine with a few tweaks here and there.You need to be one as a community with a few people as main dictators.Seriously though imagine what would happen if all the different modders came under one goal....to make HAHD(or whatever you wanna call it) the ultimate submarine simulation in the world.The leaders give out tasks,the modders make it happen.

Look at Project Reality for BF2 and just released for Arma2.This is a huge team of modders that come together for a common goal of creating real battlefields in the games they chose.They each get a job they are good at,like a few are excellent at changing the weapon positions and that is what they do mainly.Others are excellent at scripting in things like real mortars to rain down pain on enemies,ability to load airplanes with supplies to then drop to soldiers in the field in need.Others just create new vehicles or new troops etc.

WIKI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Reality
Gameplay Trailer
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 02:44 PM   #44
urfisch
Sea Lord

yes, youre right. main problem is, there are too few who have the knowledge to mod sh5 and go beyond the borders...and some of them wont share their knowledge to others. so theres a big gap in skills. as someone said in another post, many of the "old gang" left the sh-series after the big fail of sh5. and most of who are left, mod sh3 or sh4, as they know what to do there. they got familiar with the structure and the tools used.

sh5´s only friendly side for modding is the scriptability. making scripted stuff (which cannot be done by many) and create custom UIs. but..if there is even NO slot for own 3d models?! no other uboats? no useful tools? no support for the modding-community? i can understand, why only a few comrades are left modding this game, its simply hard to mod.

look at "Cliffs of Dover". this is how a community is supported by the developers.

but for us the reality is not that bright. we would need the help, cause beside the bugs, many things in sh5 seems already at its limit, even its the game with the best potential. but we cant use it, as to the knowledge limitations and the lack of good tools, which make modding easier for people, who have another live than coding software.

its a shame, what ubi did to us with sh5...when looking, what a great community grew in the years. it not only splitted the crew here, it also forced many to leave the boat. i get really upset...thinkin about this.

Old 09-09-11, 03:02 PM   #45
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Downloads: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
... following the discussion initiated in the SH3 HAHD thread, TheDrakWraith wrote:

I think we all know by now that SH5 is the platform with most potential and most open to changes. But the main problem is that unfortunately any relevant changes are limited to people with very advanced skills like you or Privateer. Of course, in SH3/4 many things were like that, and had Swakjer not jumped in, we would still be sitting in the stone age, so to speak (Regarding tools that the average guy can use, not of course the hexeditors that only some brilliant minds can profit from). But the difference is that while in SH3/4 lots of brilliant minds pured in, following the worldwide success of SH3, the fiasco of SH5 has cut the community's wings almost completely.
What will happen to SH5 once you've had enough of it, TDW? SH3/4 can live and grow strong to their limits thanks to all that has been done, but SH5's potential is still largely unlocked and its fate lies in the had of very few people.

Quite frankly, SH4 as modding platform is nowadays a sure bet, while SH5 still is a promise. Even with all the brilliant and hard work you and other guys have put into it, I fail to see an area excet graphics where it has clearly surpassed SH3/4.

And as Makman brilliantly put it in the other thread, graphics are OK for a week of "Ohhhh" "Ahhhhh" "Wooooohhhh" but then ... you need gameplay.

That HAHD over SH5 would be simply the best thing next to sex with Miss Universe is clear to me, but HAHD has many more chances of being finished with SH4 than us having sex with Miss Universe, and that is the problem.

My 2 cents
Hi mate,

Excellent point you are bringing to the debate and if someone tell me that i can transform SH5 to SH3 then the decision would be obvious for me.

But so far even the top coding guru here can't give me that answer and someone that have the caliber of Skwasjer to do a real tool set is not born yet and i doubt someone will have the dedication skwasjer put in s3d editor skwasjer was a true programmer with experience and that show in his amazing tool and i get mad when i see folks here that are bashing him when they don't have an inch of his talent and knowledge.

So if anyone here can make a tool as good or better then s3d editor for SH5 then we can start talking seriously about the ultimate platform for our high quality vision.

A hex editor is a wonderful tool when you know how to use it but let's be realistic about what the workload is with a hex editor i mean large amount of assets integration like 3d models, textures, animation etc if done only by hex it will take you close to 500 years before your mod is done so hex for heavy modding is totally unrealistic.

Hex should only be a tool to write an editor like s3d editor to speed up the workflow thinking the other way around is pure non sense.

I can picture a game studio making a full game via hex release date 3088 Q1
So are we going to look at it seriously in a real team effort or is this going to turn out as another EGO war?

Give me the tools i need and i will give you the ultimate dream sim.(As long as the platform choose is capable of some simulation)

Best regards Hans

Hans Witteman is offline   Reply With Quote