SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-01-20, 11:16 AM   #1
SubMate
Watch

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default Are damage models and textures accurate?

Hello. Are the graphical damage models accurate? For example, I put 3 torpedoes in a freighter, yet I cannot see any holes on it. Is it sinking and the texture simply did not update, or is it not damaged at all?
SubMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-20, 01:00 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: Torpedo damage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMate View Post
Hello. Are the graphical damage models accurate? For example, I put 3 torpedoes in a freighter, yet I cannot see any holes on it. Is it sinking and the texture simply did not update, or is it not damaged at all?
Hey SubMate,

When it comes to the stock or aka 'vanilla' game itself... I don't think so.. don't believe so... uhm.. just flat out.. no..

Believe the dev's, did NOT seriously consider that there would be some players of it, that would really make use of the free roam camera system, to get up close & personal with our torpedoed vict.. erhm.. torpedo crash test dummy targets... (yeah, that's the ticket... *chuckles*) targets... Just wonder how surprised/shocked they were to learn that there are many of us, that like to rubber neck at the scene of disaster aka ship sinking.

Long story short, the dev's really didn't put much into actual damages showing up on ship targets, figuring that us players would be satisfied with the explosion of the torp, the subsequent secondary explosions & eventually, the ship/s sinking... so no real changes occur when you've just torp'ed a fat freighter or even a nicer fat, juicy tanker target, like say a T-2 or T3 Tanker.

However, to make up for this shortsightedness from the dev's, some ingenious modders did however, come up with a work around fixes to that.

However, as ships have been modified, codified, rearranged & such, to work from 1 SH flavor to another & vise versa... (i.e SH3 to SH4, SH5 to SH4 or SH3...) invariably, the mod fails to account for ships added, well after the mod came out. So, it's a crap shoot, as to a mod working out 100% of the time, as there will be some ship it fails to patch up to show damages from torp's, much less deck gun fire...

As for if a ship is sinking or not, the only sure way to know is.. if you get a notice that states in no uncertain terms that a target has been destroyed... & its been added to your patrol log book as a confirmed sink. That & the sunk ship icon, showing up on the map in its general location therein.

if you see on the ship that either it's screws are not turning, you can fairly well, rest assured that it's not going any where... more so, if the propeller aka screws, are completely gone... it's dead in the water aka ditw or diw, for short. If such is the case, it's a sitting duck, just waiting, like a lamb, for the slaughter.

Hope this helps in understanding your quandary over ship damages after a torpedo attack...

M. M.

Old 08-01-20, 01:17 PM   #3
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Stock SH4 ships SHOULD have an internal damage model and a secondary AO mapping.
That allows holes to be seen so you can see inside when hit.
MOST ships added by different Modders did not include the secondary AO mapping and no internal damage model so will not show holes.