SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-21, 07:15 PM   #1
Dowasnas
Swabbie

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default Trouble with sh3 steam + mods on GNU/Linux + wine

Hello,
Pardon me; if something like this was already discussed, I did not find it.
I have downloaded SH3 from Steam to my Debian 10 GNU/Linux system. My objective is to run SH3 with GWX and Commander's. I've tried following this guide (using Wine 4.0):
http://www.donitzeliteflotilla.com/f...php?topic=2838
The first problem I got was when I tried to use S3F to make a copy of the Steam-fixed game. Every file took around 2-60+ seconds to be processed, despite having an SSD. I thought that, if it's simply making a copy, I may as well manually do it with cp. It quickly copied the folder. Not sure if S3F was doing anything else other than copying.
The GWX installer then told me that apparently the game copy had been tampered with (I did actually do some tests with mods before, but I disabled them and reinstalled the game before doing the steam fix, so that's weird). In fact, there were many files that weren't supposed to be there in a normal installation, so I uninstalled and installed the game again. After doing that, I got a clean install, so GWX should work now. I now have to do the steam fix again.
I have a symbolic link, $HOME/Software/sh3, that has "$HOME/.steam/Steam/steamapps/common/Silent Hunter III" as target. I created it, because I knew some software has problems with spaces in paths, and because some programs don't index hidden directories and files (everything starting with "." in its name) (including SFSF).
Problem is SFSF fails now, for some reason, when running the steam fix, with "Z:\home\my_user\Software\sh-sf\stf" (directory exists) as installation path and "Z:\home\my_user\Software\sh3" as destination path, it fails saying that I should close all directories of SH3 and Steam. I killall'd everything with "steam" and "Steam" in its name and restarted my computer. Still happens. I do not have anything using that directory.

(I'm using the wineprefix mentioned here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1803072674)

I just noticed I seem to have created a symbolic link pointing to $HOME/Software/sh3 inside the game's directory, creating a circular reference, so to SFSF it probably looks like a directory extending into infinity, which most certainly can create unpredictable outcomes (should have read the man page for ln before guessing whether the target or the link comes first XD). Will fix that and see if it solves the problem. It probably will, since SFSF has succeeded in the past. If it does work I'll keep this topic open anyway, because I have spent one day and a half working on setting up SH3, and because more problems related to what I'm trying to do will likely show up.

Last edited by Dowasnas; 02-26-21 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Mixed up S3F with SFSF
Dowasnas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux