SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-10-16, 06:12 AM   #286
VonDos
Admiral

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post

Note that the two masts have more or less the same shade of gray as the command deck. The same can be seen from the illustrations you have posted below, where the masts are light brown, meaning that they might have been wooden masts. The raking of masts and funnels looks more accentuated then in your model, but this can be just my impression. Also note that the two rearmost couples of vents (near the dummy funnel) are facing the wrong direction in your model.
Reworked and reproportioned a bit:

Best regards,
Vd

Those, others and WIP ships are avaiable in my SHIPYARD here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136508

Last edited by VonDos; 09-10-16 at 07:51 AM.
VonDos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-16, 05:35 PM   #287
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10
Icon7

Your model looks amazing VonDos, but with you we got to be used to this level quality...

I have just some minor remarks if you dont mind:

- it might be just a light effect, but the prow section looks more streamlined in the big picture I have posted a few days ago than it is in your model (look at the shadow extending on the hull more or less from the bow to where the superstructure starts).

- also, in your model the bulwark seems more bended upwards (going from midship to the bow) than it looks in the picture, where it is almost straight. But this might be due a different perspective.

- unlike your model, ships foremast features a single fore boom, extending horizontally all the way to the prow.

- unlike your model, there are no vents in "central posotion" that I can see in the picture, but just four couples of port-starboard vents.

- the two rearmost couples of vents are closer together in the picture than they are in your model.

- the lifeboats should be hung higher than they are now, i.e. their tops should be in line with the top of the superstructure, but I am probably nitpicking here :-P

- the covered decks in the stern section need some reworking too.

- you should paint more windows on the superstructure (you can try and overlay windows from the hi-res picture to your texture to recreate exactly the same pattern), and many more hatches on the hull.

- most historical pictures and illustrations display funnel stacks painted with a much more brilliant shade of red than your current texture.

That's all the (positive) criticism that I can think of at the moment. As for the rest, if not identical to the real thing, your model comes very close to it

Last edited by gap; 09-11-16 at 04:40 AM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 01:50 PM   #288
VonDos
Admiral

Quote:

- unlike your model, ships foremast features a single fore boom, extending horizontally all the way to the prow. DONE Improved foremast at all, partially new design)

- unlike your model, there are no vents in "central posotion" that I can see in the picture, but just four couples of port-starboard vents.DONE

- the two rearmost couples of vents are closer together in the picture than they are in your model.DONE

- the lifeboats should be hung higher than they are now, i.e. their tops should be in line with the top of the superstructure, but I am probably nitpicking here :-P DONE, easy to do =)

- most historical pictures and illustrations display funnel stacks painted with a much more brilliant shade of red than your current texture. DONE, do you like it?

TO DO list:

Quote:

- it might be just a light effect, but the prow section looks more streamlined in the big picture I have posted a few days ago than it is in your model (look at the shadow extending on the hull more or less from the bow to where the superstructure starts). (Need to know how to do this)

- also, in your model the bulwark seems more bended upwards (going from midship to the bow) than it looks in the picture, where it is almost straight. But this might be due a different perspective. (Need to know how to do this)

- the covered decks in the stern section need some reworking too. (Tons of work to do here!)

- you should paint more windows on the superstructure (you can try and overlay windows from the hi-res picture to your texture to recreate exactly the same pattern), and many more hatches on the hull. (Just added some hatches for now, windows work will require a big UV remapping of the ship)
And after all, i need to work to damage model (*.zon) and start to think about auxiliary cruiser version...

Best regards,
Vd

Old 09-12-16, 02:46 PM   #289
VonDos
Admiral

ps for finish today, i've added small details:

Best regards, Vd

Old 09-13-16, 06:52 PM   #290
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

You can add windows by making a 3d object and just UV-ing it.
Then attach it to where ever you want.
Take a look at the Munsall2 in GWX and export the Main tower model.
The windows are separate 3D objects.
It made it so much easier to place them.
Old 09-14-16, 01:36 PM   #291
VonDos
Admiral

"Munsall2"

Ok, Bernard style.
What is Munsall2 in my GWX installation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
You can add windows by making a 3d object and just UV-ing it.
Then attach it to where ever you want.
Take a look at the Munsall2 in GWX and export the Main tower model.
The windows are separate 3D objects.
It made it so much easier to place them.

Old 09-14-16, 03:39 PM   #292
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDos View Post
"Munsall2"

Ok, Bernard style.
What is Munsall2 in my GWX installation?
Data\land\LAA_AAMaunsell2
It's the Sea Forts.
Old 09-15-16, 01:35 PM   #293
VonDos
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Data\land\LAA_AAMaunsell2
It's the Sea Forts.
Got it!
Thanks!

Old 09-17-16, 04:14 PM   #294
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
- unlike your model, ships foremast features a single fore boom, extending horizontally all the way to the prow. DONE Improved foremast at all, partially new design)
The foremast in your model now looks almost identical to the real one

Quote:
- unlike your model, there are no vents in "central posotion" that I can see in the picture, but just four couples of port-starboard vents.DONE
Good. After having a second look into the big picture I had posted a few days ago, I see some objects on the upper deck that might be smaller vents, but their arrangement isn't clear

Quote:
- the two rearmost couples of vents are closer together in the picture than they are in your model.DONE

- the lifeboats should be hung higher than they are now, i.e. their tops should be in line with the top of the superstructure, but I am probably nitpicking here :-P DONE, easy to do =)

Quote:
- most historical pictures and illustrations display funnel stacks painted with a much more brilliant shade of red than your current texture. DONE, do you like it?
Very much

Quote:
TO DO list:

- it might be just a light effect, but the prow section looks more streamlined in the big picture I have posted a few days ago than it is in your model (look at the shadow extending on the hull more or less from the bow to where the superstructure starts). (Need to know how to do this)
Well, not an easy tweak. It largely depends on the 3D modelling program you use and on your own creativity, but I am afraid you will need to adjust every vertex manually. I would pick vertices two by two on each side of the hull (near the bow) and scale their x coordinates up and down untill the particular shape is obtained. In absence of detailed cross sections of the bow, you will need to rely on your own eye.

Quote:
- also, in your model the bulwark seems more bended upwards (going from midship to the bow) than it looks in the picture, where it is almost straight. But this might be due a different perspective. (Need to know how to do this)

Again, it depends on your 3D program, but I would pick all the vertices on the top edge of the bulwark from where it starts raising to the prow, and flatten their y coordinate to the height of the lowest vertex, and then I would raise them again by a smaller amount so to create a smooth and flatter curve. Some programs let you to do "magnet" vertex displacement: you select a vertex or a group of vertices that you want to displace, and one or more vertices which represent the outer border of the area affected by the displacent. Then you can move the primary selection at your wish, and the vertices comprised between it and the secondary selection are displaced proportionally so to obtain a smooth curve. Easier done than said.

On a minor note, the original bulwark is continuous from bow to stern, but not so in your model, where it features a short gap near the bow, more or less near the fore-mast. This one should be an esy tweak

Quote:
- the covered decks in the stern section need some reworking too. (Tons of work to do here!)
Yep, I agree

Quote:
- you should paint more windows on the superstructure (you can try and overlay windows from the hi-res picture to your texture to recreate exactly the same pattern), and many more hatches on the hull. (Just added some hatches for now, windows work will require a big UV remapping of the ship)
Jeff beat me on that. There are tens of windows, and placing them one by one can take a long time. The basic pattern is a group of 9 high windows separated by 2 smaller ones. You can model that and then clone/displace that basic layout n times. After that you will need some manula adjustements if you want to replicate exactly the same pattern. Once you have finished, you can mirror the windows of one side to obtain the windows of the other side in a few clicks.

On a side note: I would make the windows much darker. the way they are now, they look as if they were covered by mirror glasses

Quote:
And after all, i need to work to damage model (*.zon) and start to think about auxiliary cruiser version...

Once you have finished modelling your ship, and before you start working on the damage model, remove from the main model all the items which were remove and/or modified during the AMC/troopship refittings (such as masts, vents, third funnel, lifeboats, command deck, etc) and place them in a separate file. Then link those elements to the main model through equipment nodes/eqp file

Quote:
ps for finish today, i've added small details:

Best regards, Vd
Amazing. I like especially the two horns

Last edited by gap; 09-18-16 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-24-16, 07:08 PM   #295
VonDos
Admiral

After a needed stop for change my home, i'm back to pc;

this is a first attempt, maybe lateral (darker) windows looks a little small, but i'm working on them..
Also, i've replaced anchors position, added a lot of hatches, not finished yet:

Best regards,
Vd

Old 09-28-16, 06:42 PM   #296
VonDos
Admiral

Small works today..

best regards,
Vd

Old 09-29-16, 06:47 PM   #297
gap
Navy Seal

Hi VonDos,
I hope all went well with your home moving

The new windows in your model look exactly as the ones on the real ship now, and even the reworked rear section looks much better. Talking about it, I have still some remarks though. I am marking them on the big picture I linked in this thread a few weeks ago, and I will post them here as soon as possible
Old 09-30-16, 05:10 PM   #298
gap
Navy Seal

Icon7

Here are my comments/notes. I hope you dont mind me posting them here

1. Note the angle formed by the rear mast with the beginning of the quarterdecks.

2. Also note the complicated arrangement of bulwarks and railings.

3. Those portions are occuped by superstructure surrounded by a sort of short promenade decks.

4. The beams holding the three upper decks are equally spaced. From their number you can deduct decks' relative sizes.

5. Possibly, those are the ladders connecting the three upper decks. From their position, it seems that the top profile after of those decks might have been flat, or much lesser bended than it currently is in your model.

6. Flagstaff.

7. Air vents (?), much smaller than the ones encircling the funnels.
Old 10-01-16, 09:19 AM   #299
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Old 10-01-16, 12:41 PM   #300
gap
Navy Seal

Excellent angle, and good scale model Jeff, though it doesnt look totally identical to the ship in the picture I have posted yesterday. Different refits maybe?

Tags
kriegs marine, ocean liners, regia marina, royal hellenic navy, warships