SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-05-20, 05:04 AM   #13516
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Try to imagine early war-time restrictions as if they were anti-covid rules. General confusion, each country issuing a set of different and partly self-contradictory rules, and private citizens applying those rules according to their own interpretation, or ignoring them at all lol.

Some important belligerents, like the USA, didn't even have city blackouts in place when U-boats started knocking at their home door, and before the Nazi occupation most French lighthouses were still operational, sic!

Some allied shipmaster deciding to keep his navigation lights on (out of recklessness or in the hope to lure the Germans into mistaking them for friends) is the least we can imagine, especially outside British waters where the U-boat war was more intense and where he would have risked not only his ship and the life to be taken by a German submarine but, I suppose, also heavy sanctions by the British Government.
Now that you mentioned it I remember that when I was editing Operation Drumbeat campaign I intentionally left American illuminated ships to be active for quite some time after the campaign start in order ti simulate "relaxed" conditions which German U-Boat commanders found on east American coast during the opening stages of OD. This can even be found somewhere in TWoS changelogs, yes...

Quote:
Ah, yes, now that you refreshed my memory I seem to remember such a nice program. I also remember another small program by another forum member used for making sure that the Windows process used by the game for campaign advance, has an high priority... Isn't that program used anymore?
No, that was different tweak discovered by Mama but it didn't prove to be quite useful...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 05:06 AM   #13517
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propnut17 View Post
VDR your English is much better than you give yourself credit. Take that from another flight simmer that grew up chasing NDB's.
Haha, thank you very much Sir!
Old 12-05-20, 08:31 AM   #13518
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Now that you mentioned it I remember that when I was editing Operation Drumbeat campaign I intentionally left American illuminated ships to be active for quite some time after the campaign start in order ti simulate "relaxed" conditions which German U-Boat commanders found on east American coast during the opening stages of OD. This can even be found somewhere in TWoS changelogs, yes...
Sweet

Despite the clear distinction between Axis, neutral and Allied countries, the external difference between vessels belonging to each category should be somewhat more vague. In the most complex circumstances, the attribution of a given ship to one faction or the other should be a matter of putting together various clues. In the end, the wise player should be able to say with a reasonable level of confidence whether - in the current circumstances - a visual contact is a valid target or not, even though in some cases he might not be 100% sure that an "innocent-looking" far contact, is actually a neutral or friendly ship.

Quote:
No, that was different tweak discovered by Mama but it didn't prove to be quite useful...
Yes, mama was the name! I seem to remember that his "trick" worked for some players but not for othres
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 11:45 AM   #13519
Drakken
Planesman

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0

Sorry if the question has already been asked, but do I have to restart a new career after patching?

In my KSD my local career is still at 09,02,1939, yet I played yesterday to 09,03,1939 and sank a freighter. However, nothing has updated on my KSD - still the day earlier with no sinking.

Thanks!
Drakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 12:22 PM   #13520
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
Sorry if the question has already been asked, but do I have to restart a new career after patching?

In my KSD my local career is still at 09,02,1939, yet I played yesterday to 09,03,1939 and sank a freighter. However, nothing has updated on my KSD - still the day earlier with no sinking.

Thanks!
In your case, it's better to start new campaign since your current playtrough is so "young". KSD commander is updated when you end patrol in home base...
Old 12-06-20, 05:37 AM   #13521
skin-nl
KapitainLeutnant

Downloads: 244

Thanks for the update Vecko
Old 12-06-20, 07:24 AM   #13522
Demon777
Medic

Downloads: 97

hi gyus,

please advise from which date/campaign in TWOS decoy launcher will become available as upgrade?
Demon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 09:07 AM   #13523
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon777 View Post
hi gyus,

please advise from which date/campaign in TWOS decoy launcher will become available as upgrade?

Early 1942 is when the first decoys will appear in the game...
Old 12-06-20, 11:25 AM   #13524
Tonci87
Captain

Downloads: 116

Quote:
Early 1942 is when the first decoys will appear in the game...
Which is too early.
The decoys were developed during 1942 and started to appear on boats from the End of 1942 onwards.

But well, a lot of the gear is available far too early.
Tonci87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 11:33 AM   #13525
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonci87 View Post
Which is too early.
The decoys were developed during 1942 and started to appear on boats from the End of 1942 onwards.

But well, a lot of the gear is available far too early.
I'm aware of that and that is intentional Tonci.
The catch is, early prototype equipment will be very expensive in renown points which means that it will be available only to proven and successful captains. I hardly believe that new equipment was completely untested by some U-boat captains well before their official enter to service...
Old 12-06-20, 11:35 AM   #13526
Tonci87
Captain

Quote:
The catch is, early prototype equipment will be very expensive in renown points which means that it will be available only to proven and successful captains. I hardly believe that new equipment was completely untested by some U-boat captains well before their official enter to service...
Yeah well, testing of the BOLD started at the end of 1942
I get what you mean and I think it is a nice idea. I was not aware that equipment will be more expensive in its prototype stages.
Old 12-06-20, 11:40 AM   #13527
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonci87 View Post
Yeah well, testing of the BOLD started at the end of 1942
I get what you mean and I think it is a nice idea. I was not aware that equipment will be more expensive in its prototype stages.
Well in that case, think of it as prototype of prototypes. Yes , their costs will be significantly larger...
Old 12-06-20, 11:59 AM   #13528
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Nice idea

Though, the price of 'experimental' equipment should be disproportionately high as, in reality only an handful of U-boat captains had the privilege of testing them beforehand.

Similarly, and with similarly high costs, I would like to see in game equipment which was later discontinued, never becoming standard. Should you need for 3D models of those items, I will be glad to provide them. Right off I can't offer any example of those technological "failures", but I am sure that with a quick research we will find many of them, especially in the radar/RWR field...
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 05:36 PM   #13529
Tonci87
Captain

Well, I wanted to record a new video, but discovered to my absolute horror that I had accidentally deleted my saves a few weeks ago.

So much for my flawless SH5 Career that lasted until mid 1942....
Old 12-06-20, 10:02 PM   #13530
Salvadoreno
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 119

Quote:
- Disabled Generic Patcher Collateral Damage patches in the snapshot for better damage distribution calculations, both for playable subs and other units. No more exploding bow when torpedo hit stern of the ship or damaged propellers if you frontally collide your sub with something. Some larger ships and warships will more frequently require more then one well placed torpedo in order to go down which is more realistic after all. (Fire up TDW Generic Patcher and restore the snapshot again if you wish to activate the changes).
Apologies, I am in the TDW patcher and i do not see "collateral damage". I see a "collisions" patch. I always enjoy adding more challenge to the game!