SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-21-20, 08:46 AM   #1
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 1
Default TDC Target Speed

I have found it almost impossible to use the TDC speed function. When I click on the watch icon, I get a 'insufficient data' message. Has anyone else had this problem. If so, is there a patch, mod or work around?
Old 06-21-20, 06:40 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Clicking the watch? No, that's not how you do it. At the UZO view, periscope view or in the attack map, you click the object on the left of the screen to drag the dial screen, then you click on the different knobs to change settings, click on the lower knob to change to the torpedo settings view. In this view, the dial below changes torpedo depth in feet, the dial above sets a deviation angle in degrees at which your torpedo will follow course relative to the perfect solution (for making spread shots), and the knobs above will set torpedo speed slow/fast and the detonation method Contact / Magnetic.

If still you have trouble, I can provide a screenshot, but I'm sure you find it yourself. Besides, and contrary to what you would expect, that's a question which is well documented in the SH4 manual with a serie of pictures.

Greetings,
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-21-20 at 06:51 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 07:39 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer View Post
I have found it almost impossible to use the TDC speed function. When I click on the watch icon, I get a 'insufficient data' message. Has anyone else had this problem. If so, is there a patch, mod or work around?

So if you have map contacts on, start the watch and mark x on your target right as you start, drop scope(unless on surface) time for 3 minutes. they travel 900 yards in 3 minutes, speed is 9 knots, 1500 yards in 3 minutes . going 15 knots, so forth. Without contacts, can do same method just takes more time and concentration(like in real life plotting) to do it based on your own visual observation. This is challenging(without contacts) and fun, made me a better torpedo shooter, I can almost estimated speed by just looking at how ship is moving, just use plot to confirm but great when shooting on the fly. Tough though and learning curve is there and takes away the simulation of having a competent crew helping you as the Captain, form a firing solution.

Not sure if running TMO or anything but the 3d TDC with the radar which can get you accurate ranges and bearings, helps a lot as well. For me, easiest way is contacts on, 3 minute timing method.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 08:02 PM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Oops, I totally misread the question...sorry, happens

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-20, 09:30 PM   #5
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregor the Hammer View Post

Are you ranging and sending the bearing to the tdc you need too do that at least 2 or 3 times,, are you using the attack map,, I usually do the 3 minute rule tracking with the radar,, but you can guess if sonar says contact is moving slow that would mean contact is going 5 to 7 knots ,, medium 9 to 12 knots , fast you better track it with the radar,, I use the attack map ,, of course I don't know how realistic it is but it sure shows your mistakes on the set up.

Last edited by yubba; 06-22-20 at 06:45 AM.
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 08:24 AM   #6
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 1

I have been using the 'time v. distance' on the nav chart which has worked well. I've been wondering why I can't get the TDC to work. I think Yubba pointed out my error. I need to sight the target a number of times and send the data to the TDC. My error is NOT sending the data.

Thanks for all your input!!!
Old 06-22-20, 09:21 AM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If you watch one of the vidz that Rockin Robbins re-did in his Sub Skipper's Bag of Tricks thread, he mentions one of the most necessary steps in all of SH4, and it is similar to what happens when you go to Save a game... you have to click twice on (almost) everything. Once to give it the "focus", then again to actually have it do what you want it to ("Send! you #$$%@ piece of %^^&@#!!!")...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote