Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-14, 05:14 AM   #1
scott_c2911
Engineer

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 0
Default SH1 is working!

I didnt know where else to post this as there is no Silent Hunter 1 forum anymore. Anyway I have managed to find lodged away in some box somewhere at my mom and dads house after more than a decade my copy of Silent Hunter 1. The game that started it all for me with sub simming. We all know it wasn't going to work on XP so why bother when you have Silent Hunter 3 and 4. Well last night I did bother just for the nostalgia and I was pleasantly suprised how easy it was. I used D-Fend Reloaded which is DOS Box 0.74 with a simple frontend UI so people who are not literate in DOS commands can get on with it. The game installed flawlessly. The game didnt run initially due to it needing the CD but this was also fixed by copying the BUD folder on the CD into the the C:\SILENT directory. Then just change shpath.ini (also found in C:\SILENT directory) to read exactly as follows:
BUD =BUD\
DATA =DATA\
ART =ART\
SFX =SFX\
SPEECH =SPEECH\
CINES =CINES\
SCEN =SCEN\
SAVE =SAVE\
Configured the sound with the default settings and away I went. I'm in command of the USS Shark I think. I'm heading out towards Southern Japan. I have to say though it makes me appreciate Silent Hunter 3 and the later games so much more. The graphics were cutting edge for the time but now they definitely look dated. Controls are not as good either but I remember it being so much easier. Nevermind its still a classic.
Old 05-05-14, 07:31 AM   #2
GreyBeard
Engineer

Downloads: 257
Uploads: 2

Holy smokes! It works! Thank you for this!
Now I have to dig up my copy of Panzer Commander and see if it can be made to function too.

GreyBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 11:23 AM   #3
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

It's a bit obscure, but there is a forum for legacy subsims:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=173

More posts about SH1 can be found there.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 12:31 PM   #4
scott_c2911
Engineer

Downloads: 71

Thanks pisces I will follow the link. Im sorry for posting it here but I honestly couldnt find anywhere else. I also thought it was relevant just for nostalgias sake.
Old 05-06-14, 12:33 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Moved to proper forum
Old 05-06-14, 12:35 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Yep, I still have SH1 (CE) on my computer and still play it from time to time. Do you use Hawk's wonderful mods?
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...p?do=cat&id=42
Old 05-27-15, 07:42 PM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_c2911 View Post
I didnt know where else to post this as there is no Silent Hunter 1 forum anymore. Anyway I have managed to find lodged away in some box somewhere at my mom and dads house after more than a decade my copy of Silent Hunter 1. The game that started it all for me with sub simming. We all know it wasn't going to work on XP so why bother when you have Silent Hunter 3 and 4. Well last night I did bother just for the nostalgia and I was pleasantly suprised how easy it was. I used D-Fend Reloaded which is DOS Box 0.74 with a simple frontend UI so people who are not literate in DOS commands can get on with it. The game installed flawlessly. The game didnt run initially due to it needing the CD but this was also fixed by copying the BUD folder on the CD into the the C:\SILENT directory. Then just change shpath.ini (also found in C:\SILENT directory) to read exactly as follows:
BUD =BUD\
DATA =DATA\
ART =ART\
SFX =SFX\
SPEECH =SPEECH\
CINES =CINES\
SCEN =SCEN\
SAVE =SAVE\
Configured the sound with the default settings and away I went. I'm in command of the USS Shark I think. I'm heading out towards Southern Japan. I have to say though it makes me appreciate Silent Hunter 3 and the later games so much more. The graphics were cutting edge for the time but now they definitely look dated. Controls are not as good either but I remember it being so much easier. Nevermind its still a classic.
This is the place for SH1 threads, good work and thanks for posting! Posted on the Subsim main page.
Old 05-28-15, 08:24 PM   #8
Major Johnson
Frogman

Downloads: 25

Yes I already have the ini edited as shown, and I did copy those files as suggested by Pieces, but I'm still getting a CTD. I just have a feeling it's got to do with the PA or SH2 install that I have on the same drive. I really don't have the time this weekend to experiment with installing/uninstalling.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX8350 8 Core 4.0 Ghz CPU
GeForce GTX 560 Ti PCIx Video Card
8 GB Corsair Vengence RAM
Rosewill 850W Power Supply
Major Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-15, 11:33 AM   #9
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Johnson View Post
Yes I already have the ini edited as shown, and I did copy those files as suggested by Pieces, but I'm still getting a CTD. I just have a feeling it's got to do with the PA or SH2 install that I have on the same drive. I really don't have the time this weekend to experiment with installing/uninstalling.
I have SHCE, PA, and SH4 v1.5 running on this Win 7 64 bit, in different directories on the same drive. SHCE runs through DOSBox, and Pacific Aces (SH II) and SH4 run through their respective Windows installers. I have never had a conflict.

Ruling that out leaves the Operating system, the graphics card, and the DOSBox SH1 configuration as main suspects for your issue. Are you using a frontend for DOSBox on SHCE?

So, what Windows operating system and graphics card do you have? Also, there are many instructions for installing SHCE in old posts on SUBSIM in this forum, on other websites on the the internet, and I'm curious what install procedure instructions you used on DOSBox to get SHCE running - if any?

Maybe you're a computer Guru and the installs were easy, and you're familiar with 'everything'.... I don't know : )

I know, so many questions, I'm sorry.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-15, 05:54 PM   #10
Major Johnson
Frogman

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
I have SHCE, PA, and SH4 v1.5 running on this Win 7 64 bit, in different directories on the same drive. SHCE runs through DOSBox, and Pacific Aces (SH II) and SH4 run through their respective Windows installers. I have never had a conflict.

Ruling that out leaves the Operating system, the graphics card, and the DOSBox SH1 configuration as main suspects for your issue. Are you using a frontend for DOSBox on SHCE?

So, what Windows operating system and graphics card do you have? Also, there are many instructions for installing SHCE in old posts on SUBSIM in this forum, on other websites on the the internet, and I'm curious what install procedure instructions you used on DOSBox to get SHCE running - if any?

Maybe you're a computer Guru and the installs were easy, and you're familiar with 'everything'.... I don't know : )

I know, so many questions, I'm sorry.
Questions are good!! It's better than no response at all!!

DOS Box: Yes

Operating System: Win7 Pro
Graphics card is listed in my sig.

I wouldn't say I'm a computer guru, but I have built my own pcs since my first compaq with Win95. Building your own is cheaper and you know what you got. I've never had a problem with Nvidia cards.

I'm sure my problem is something stupid.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX8350 8 Core 4.0 Ghz CPU
GeForce GTX 560 Ti PCIx Video Card
8 GB Corsair Vengence RAM
Rosewill 850W Power Supply
Major Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-15, 07:10 PM   #11
akula65
A-ganger

Downloads: 23

Per McBeck's site circa 2007:

Quote:
Bug: SH has locked up on me several times if I go to the chart screen while at the periscope screen with the ship ID book pulled up. I've never locked it up any other way. This bug cost me a shot at the Yamato and a number of other ships. It's hard sometimes to remember to change back to the gauges before leaving the periscope screen when you're closing a ship and every second counts...
https://web.archive.org/web/20070610.../bugs/bugs.htm
akula65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-15, 08:17 PM   #12
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Default pressing F5 makes SHCE CTD

Quote:
So after installing PA and getting it to run correctly, I find that in SH1 when I try to activate the Charts by either pressing F5 or clicking on Charts I get a CTD. Anyone else ever come across this??
-
Quote:
Questions are good!! It's better than no response at all!!

DOS Box: Yes

Operating System: Win7 Pro
Graphics card is listed in my sig.

I wouldn't say I'm a computer guru, but I have built my own pcs since my first compaq with Win95. Building your own is cheaper and you know what you got. I've never had a problem with Nvidia cards.

I'm sure my problem is something stupid.
You're not running both SHCE & PA at the same time and Alt Tabbing between them, ------ "no"....

Were there re-boots between installing the two (3) games (SHCE, SH II & PA) and after installing the SH II & PA patches, to clear the computer?

I can't figure out why pressing F5 makes SHCE CTD...

A friend has seen everything SHCE, I'm going to ask him if he has ever heard of this.

Edit -
We both are thinking that as long as we have played SHCE, neither of us can remember it crashing on any operating system from DOS 3.11 through the Windows versions, to today.

So, it seems there is probably a corrupt install & configuration of each. Recommend uninstalling SHCE & DOSBox, then a fresh install of DOSBox and then reinstall SHCE doing a FULL install.

Last edited by aanker; 06-02-15 at 10:44 AM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-15, 11:50 AM   #13
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
This is the place for SH1 threads, good work and thanks for posting! Posted on the Subsim main page.
shpath.ini:

Duh, first post of the thread.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-15, 10:45 AM   #14
Stoli151
Helmsman

Downloads: 333

I have SH1 installed on my tablet using android OS. All you need is the dosbox app for android(about $3) and be familiar with using dos commands and it's fairly easy to do. So now I take SH1 wherever I want. I also have Master of Orion 2, the original X-Com, the original Bards tale 1,2,and 3 installed on my ASUS tab. I'm sure you could do this with a phone as well but I would only do it on a phone with a very large screen like a Samsung note or similar.

Last edited by Stoli151; 07-11-15 at 10:59 AM.
Stoli151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-15, 01:00 PM   #15
scrapser
Captain

Downloads: 12

Nice to see SH1 still has traction. For myself I have my copy installed on a home-built Win98SE computer along with a lot of other great sims and games from that era. I've always considered SH1 to be a direct descendant of MicroProse's "Silent Service". They both play nearly identically in terms of the controls and command screens and SH1 obviously has so much more built into it. Silent Service for the Commodore 64 was my first computer game back in 1984. 31 years ago!
i7 920 CPU
TR 120 Extreme HS (lapped)
6 GB OCZ Platinum 1600 (8x175 = 1400)
BFG GTX 295
Silverstone DA1000W PSU
Sony GDM-FW900 24" Wide Screen CRT
WinXP Pro 32-bit
scrapser is offline   Reply With Quote