Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-23-20, 09:35 AM   #1
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 260
Uploads: 0
Default Spam Emails

Not too long ago just out of interest I looked at Bitcoins and wondered what it was all about.
Since then I get lots of Spam emails, some telling me I have so much in my bank account that just needs me to confirm my details.
I looked on Ebay for something that my daughter was interested in, now I get spam for those as well and many more.
Some days they pile up and I just delete the lot, I wish I had a £1 for every spam email I get I would be well off.

Going back to the ones saying I have money in my account etc, if it wasn't for the fact of getting some kind of virus I am half tempted to contact the sender thanking them for the money and play them along.
Or if I knew how and I had their details then contact them as some form of authority and taking them to court.
I've seen the odd YouTube clip where some guys do spam the spammer but they use an old PC so no real risk or problem if it gets a virus.

On the subject of viruses I remember a time I was in work and there was a young guy who was working for an outside company doing some work on programming a system we were using.
I liked at first and we got talking about viruses, he said he had written a few and hid them in some programs, he thought it was funny, when I told him I thought it was sick and lots of people don't know how to get rid of them and have to pay out or some even wreck a PC.
His reply was he thought it was a good laugh and fun, after that I never spoke to him again.

Col.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 10:39 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

NEVER EVER open any emails from other than trusted sources and the same goes for clicking on links.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 01:08 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Bitcoin in particular; as the N. Koreans, imperished sanctioned commie bastards, are known to commit fraud and wire-theft with that electronic stuff. https://cointelegraph.com/news/north-korea-stole-2-billion-in-cryptocurrency-from-exchanges-says-un

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 01:12 PM   #4
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

I have 15 cans of SPAM here!
Are you saying don't open them?
Old 04-23-20, 01:14 PM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
I have 15 cans of SPAM here!
Are you saying don't open them?
Not unless Nancy got them from a store you're familiar with

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 01:20 PM   #6
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

I ordered them directly from the spam web site.
www.Spam.com

That does seem suspect.
Old 04-23-20, 01:33 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

spam happens to be Minnesota nice! and certainly helped Britain win WWII https://www.thedailybeast.com/jack-drummond-invented-the-world-war-ii-diet-that-saved-britain
Quote:

We talked about Spam and it took me back to the first time I ever saw it.
The First time 1942.
We were getting one tin of American dried egg per month(from wisconsin) as well as the hard egg ration. We had our own hens and the spare eggs were put down in Isenglas for later use when the hens stopped laying.
We had been introduced to shredded cabbage as apart from that green stuff boiled to death and served with whatever was on the plate of an evening. Mrs Peeks pies in tins and Mr Wooltons pie were around, goodness knows what went into those we all suspected that the poor old sausage contained far more bread then anything else.
At the time we had been sent reeling on every front and the days were dark with the threat of invasion still on every ones mind. Gerry was still keeping us awake most nights. "And then?"
Well then along came "Supply Processed American Meat" Spam for short.
Mother working at Goosepool Aerodrome where the Canadians were stationed arrived home with this tin, it was put on the table and inspected by my sister Sylvia and myself while Mum found the tin opener. The tin duly opened and we could see this pink looking substance which after much freeing with a knife slid out onto a plate.
The first thing that struck me was the smell it actually smelt like a nice ham. Mum slowly cut a slice from what I thought of as a log of meat, she cut slithers from the slice and we all slowly tasted it. I decided it was the nicest thing I had tasted for a good while and mum then sliced it all up and fried it for our evening meal with potato and vegetable it was a feast.
The Spam became a prominent part of our diet from then on and came in such variety. fried, dipped in batter and deep fried, diced and put into stews and pies or just plain cold in sandwiches with tomato and cucumber. It was even served in posh restaurants with various names such as "Ballotine De Jambon Valentinoise" how posh can you get.
From then on we seemed to suddenly change pace. The Americans were now in the war, Monty gave us a huge victory at El Alamein and we never looked back.
It sounds impossible but did Spam win the war for us in the boost it gave to morale and our taste buds. Was it good old "Supply Processed American Meat" that finally beat the Germans? I wonder? Maybe the principle Brit complaint about yanks should been" over here; over paid; over sexed; and over SPAMMED!"

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 02:21 PM   #8
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

I love the stuff! Thin sliced, fried with some Karo syrup?
Can't beat it!

I like the Jalapeno Spam best of all!
Hard to find on a shelf thus why I buy direct.
Old 04-23-20, 03:19 PM   #9
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Same here.

Use to buy Jaka Bov.
(wanted to post a picture, but under each of those I was looking at had the text. Can be protected by copyright)

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-20, 03:29 PM   #10
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

What many don't know in the USA?
Is how the Hams they do buy are made!
I worked in a factory as a Maintenance Guy for several months.
That Honey Baked Ham many LOVE?
Totally masticated in a big machine that looked like a cement mixer!
(My job was to work on those)
That mess was poured into molds then baked. After knocking them out of the molds?
They were sprayed with stuff and then cooked again.

So I just ruined Holiday Hams for a lot of people!!
Old 04-23-20, 05:32 PM   #11
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Back to main discussion

I got lots of these Bitcoins spam mails

I kept on blocking them and now I may get 1 or 2 per month now.

Same goes with other types of spam.

Today I had only 1 mail in my spam section.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote