SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-23-21, 06:45 PM   #1
spurlash
Watch

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0
Default Help Needed

I love SH3. I have 2 desktop PC's here, 1 runs Windows XP and is for gaming, the other's running Windows 10.
Problem is I would like to upload SH3 onto Windows!0, I'm starting to have problems with the old (XP) PC.
I've looked into running SH3 inW10, and it must be possible, I tried a clean install from the game cd, having previously deleted any references to SH3, (I had a version on steam).

Having installed the new clean download, setting 'run as administrator' and running compatibility with Windows XP service pack3, I thought I'd give it a whirl, no dice.
I keep getting a page pop up titled 'Protection System' and a big yellow 'ERROR'
message warning, followed by script that tells me it can only be ran via XP .

Has anyone encountered this ? If so, how do I get around it?

TIA,
Spurlash.
Old 04-24-21, 12:00 AM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurlash View Post
I love SH3. I have 2 desktop PC's here, 1 runs Windows XP and is for gaming, the other's running Windows 10.
Problem is I would like to upload SH3 onto Windows!0, I'm starting to have problems with the old (XP) PC.
I've looked into running SH3 inW10, and it must be possible, I tried a clean install from the game cd, having previously deleted any references to SH3, (I had a version on steam).

Having installed the new clean download, setting 'run as administrator' and running compatibility with Windows XP service pack3, I thought I'd give it a whirl, no dice.
I keep getting a page pop up titled 'Protection System' and a big yellow 'ERROR'
message warning, followed by script that tells me it can only be ran via XP .

Has anyone encountered this ? If so, how do I get around it?

TIA,
Spurlash.
Ahoy, spurlash...

where did you go for installing SH3 to begin with...

& 2ndly, just what is the nature of the source for SH3.??? CD/DVD disk... Steam, Ubisoft... another source online... bought it from a bearded circus lady... from the red balloon carrying clown in IT... This info, would be helpful to know...

The more info, the better...

M. M.

Old 04-24-21, 11:21 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Spurlash! nice 8 year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-21, 11:27 AM   #4
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

As M.M. said.....
The more info you provide?
The quicker We can get you playing!

Old 04-25-21, 07:38 AM   #5
drowssapma
Watch

Downloads: 12

I have it running on both 7 and 10. I didn't think it was too bad to get it on 10, but I don't remember all the steps. I remember following a thread of something like 26 steps to get it going. I may even have that documentation on the PC...it's just not the one I'm on right now. I'll head there and see if I can get that for you.
drowssapma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-21, 01:30 PM   #6
spurlash
Watch

Default Mardigan, you legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Ahoy, spurlash...

where did you go for installing SH3 to begin with...

& 2ndly, just what is the nature of the source for SH3.??? CD/DVD disk... Steam, Ubisoft... another source online... bought it from a bearded circus lady... from the red balloon carrying clown in IT... This info, would be helpful to know...

The more info, the better...

M. M.

I deleted All steam SH3, did a clean install from CD rom.
Old 04-26-21, 01:43 PM   #7
spurlash
Watch

Default 8 years of silent running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Spurlash! nice 8 year silent run!
The tale is quite simple, I had a stroke, a full on stroke caused by a Massive blood clot in my left brain, I was paralysed down my entire right side, lost my speech and the ability to communicate with anyone (Locked In Syndrome) the right side of my face was drooping like a Bloodhounds.
Do I get excused punishment for that?
I got to Hospital within 15 minutes and was given the magic thrombolising drug
but the clot was big, so I had to undergo a series of treatments. Happy to say I made nearly a full recovery, but it took time, I'm 99% recovered, so worth the wait in the end, and here I am, Back!
Old 04-26-21, 01:44 PM   #8
spurlash
Watch

Default Cheers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowssapma View Post
I have it running on both 7 and 10. I didn't think it was too bad to get it on 10, but I don't remember all the steps. I remember following a thread of something like 26 steps to get it going. I may even have that documentation on the PC...it's just not the one I'm on right now. I'll head there and see if I can get that for you.
That would be very much appreciated my friend
Old 04-26-21, 02:14 PM   #9
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
I deleted All steam SH3, did a clean install from CD rom.
Ok, so now is known the source.. BUT.. that still does not answer the important question.

Where did you install it on your hard drive...

Know that the default assignment by either Steam (or any other launcher shoved up your aft section to run a game you paid for..) defaults to the same location, as does a disk install...

C:\Program files

or

C:\Program files (x86)

every bloody time... unless you derail that & tell it somewhere else to drop the install at.

If you allowed the install of Steam, it's associated stuff, & that CD/DVD copy install of SH3 to get dumped into the default.. then therein lies part of your issues.

Before Win 10, most of the time, you were pretty safe to do so.. as far as I know of. With the advent of Win 7/8/8.1, Windows started the problems with what they tagged as 'UAC'. Meaning a file overlord, that does NOT like & is NOT amused with you tampering with anything under its iron fist.

That includes even simple editing of say.. basic files like GameplaySettings.cfg or main.cfg, found in the Data\Cfg folder in SH3.. & that's just simple file editing done there...

It gets worse, if you try & do add in simple mods.. much worse, if you go to do an add in of say.. a mega mod like.. oh.. GWX for example..

So, that is why it is important, to NOT do a 'default' install. Rather, creating your own folder, still on C: as that IS your main drive you will in all likelihood, will want your game/sim located.

Hope this info has helped...

M. M.

Old 04-26-21, 02:16 PM   #10
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
The tale is quite simple, I had a stroke, a full on stroke caused by a Massive blood clot in my left brain, I was paralysed down my entire right side, lost my speech and the ability to communicate with anyone (Locked In Syndrome) the right side of my face was drooping like a Bloodhounds.
Do I get excused punishment for that?
I got to Hospital within 15 minutes and was given the magic thrombolising drug
but the clot was big, so I had to undergo a series of treatments. Happy to say I made nearly a full recovery, but it took time, I'm 99% recovered, so worth the wait in the end, and here I am, Back!
As for that... glad you're still with us.

M. M.

Old 04-27-21, 02:22 PM   #11
spurlash
Watch

Default Mardigan, you legend.

Quote:
Ok, so now is known the source.. BUT.. that still does not answer the important question.

Where did you install it on your hard drive...

Know that the default assignment by either Steam (or any other launcher shoved up your aft section to run a game you paid for..) defaults to the same location, as does a disk install...

C:\Program files

or

C:\Program files (x86)

every bloody time... unless you derail that & tell it somewhere else to drop the install at.

If you allowed the install of Steam, it's associated stuff, & that CD/DVD copy install of SH3 to get dumped into the default.. then therein lies part of your issues.

Before Win 10, most of the time, you were pretty safe to do so.. as far as I know of. With the advent of Win 7/8/8.1, Windows started the problems with what they tagged as 'UAC'. Meaning a file overlord, that does NOT like & is NOT amused with you tampering with anything under its iron fist.

That includes even simple editing of say.. basic files like GameplaySettings.cfg or main.cfg, found in the Data\Cfg folder in SH3.. & that's just simple file editing done there...

It gets worse, if you try & do add in simple mods.. much worse, if you go to do an add in of say.. a mega mod like.. oh.. GWX for example..

So, that is why it is important, to NOT do a 'default' install. Rather, creating your own folder, still on C: as that IS your main drive you will in all likelihood, will want your game/sim located.

Hope this info has helped...

M. M.

I see, right , I totally removed Steam from my PC, then ran the SH3 Game CD (Ubisoft) and downloaded it in 'C' drive, so it's a clean game , but I see the fault, it downloaded into C:\Program files (x86).
It is not running however, after I try to play I get an error screen popup from 'Protection System' with 'ERROR' displayed and a short message stating " This application can be launched with a release version of Microsoft Windows 95 OSR2.1/98/ME/ NT4.0/2000/XP/ Server 2003 only.

So, shall I move it into my partitioned drive 'G'? What would be my best outcome?
Thank You for all the help so far.
Cheers
Spurlash (NORM).
Old 04-27-21, 02:26 PM   #12
spurlash
Watch

Default Cheers!!!

Quote:
As for that... glad you're still with us.

M. M.

Thank You For your comment. I'm so glad to be back.
Spurlash.
Old 04-27-21, 03:00 PM   #13
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

How old is the CD? If it still has StarForce? THAT could be the problem.
I have a 'Fix' should it be that old.
Old 04-28-21, 11:01 AM   #14
spurlash
Watch

Default Starforce

IV'e checked the CD, I cannot find any mention of Starforce, nor did I see anything Starforce related on loading the game.
There is a setup .exe file and a second file just named setup which is an Application file, these are both for Game Shadow.
If that helps.
Cheers Shipmate,
Spurlash
Old 04-28-21, 11:31 AM   #15
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

If you could up load a copy of the sh3.exe from the CD install that I can look at
I can tell you if it's a older version and then send you a proper fix.