Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Ironclads
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-12-19, 06:56 AM   #1
YellowFin
Engineer

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0
Default Clad in Iron: Sakhalin 1904 - First Battle

I just obtained Clad in Iron: Sakhalin 1904 and played through my first battle. I am very excited
  • beautiful models
  • sea state as a new mechanic
  • torpedoes
  • nice big and varied fleet
  • primary and secondary armament modelled
  • difficult scenario
  • complex supply mechanics

Another absolutely gorgeous game and one can really see the progression in the series.

I fought my first battle with the USSURI, a light cruiser of the Russian Empire navy, against an imperial Japanese squadron of 2 protected cruisers and 2 gunboats. I was outgunned, outrun and outnumbered. I did manage to survive and even inflicted a combined 30% of damage (out of 200%) on the lead ship of the enemy squadron. You can check out the battle on my youtube channel (captainyellowfin on YT).

The shell counters work correctly and I really like the new supply mechanics. Excellent development choice!

I noticed one minor problem. I took damage on the port side, because that's where the enemy was firing from. However the damage decals also appeared on the starbord side of the ship.

Some gameplay ideas for future Ironclads / Clad in Iron games:
  • visibility (fog, rainsqualls)
  • better aiming mechanics
  • improvements to the manual
  • difficulty settings
  • multiplayer mode
  • quick battles
  • long campaigns (with ship procurement, army training), say 2,3 or even 4 years?
  • early submarines/dive boats?

WRT aiming mechanics: I currently have to stop the game every so often to adjust range and azimuth from a ship. It's not very easy to accurately move the distance controller with the mouse.

I think it should be possible to have the camera centered on the gun, or the main deck of the ship that you're manually controlling and then give commands like 'increase range by .3 cable' '.5 cable less lead to target' and '.5 cable more lead to target'. Then you can still have some RNG influencing the shot, like wind, sea state, etc. I wouldn't have to pause the game however.

A question: If I click fire, and the gun isn't ready yet, I have no way of knowing except if I hover my mouse over the gun barrel, which can be tricky, especially if I'm in 3rd person view quite far from my ship. It would be nice to have a timer on the 'Fire!' button.

Anyways, thanks for another great game!
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-19, 03:54 PM   #2
Maxim
Totem Games

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thanks for your feedback!
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote