SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-30-20, 04:28 AM   #1
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Under Sea oddity along the coast of New Guinea

Playing SH4 v1.5 (Steam versions) with OTC for TMO & RSRD mods.

I frequently traveled along the northeast coastline of New Guinea but this is the first time I noticed an underwater rock formation that's flat along its top and quite shallow, (maybe) 20 yards below the surface; it measures 200 yards wide along the entire distance of 65nm with only 1 sizable gap of 5.3nm about mid way. It looks man-made, not natural. Beware, if one were to run into it, I suspect it would do quite a bit of damage. I was curious but I didn't try to hit it.

This rock wall is only visible at fairly high magnification. Located approximately 39nm North, Northeast of Hollandia, New Guinea, it runs straight below the 2-degree South line (that helps to hide it) beginning at 141-degrees East to 142-degrees East, a distance of 65nm.

Has anyone else seen this?
Old 03-30-20, 08:27 AM   #2
Captain Dave
Officer

Downloads: 398
Uploads: 3

I play FOTRSU v 1.0, not the latest version. Along the the NE coast of New GUINEA are shoals on my map. Could be this is what you encountered.

Screenshot (20).jpg

Disreguard the second screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot (65).jpg (15.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-30-20, 11:04 AM   #3
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Man Made Shoals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
I play FOTRSU v 1.0, not the latest version. Along the the NE coast of New GUINEA are shoals on my map. Could be this is what you encountered.
Looks like the same general area but I could not read the longitude and latitude on your map.

When I played the recent version of FotRS, I was aware of this area and propbeanie passed along some info about it in a post. The difference being FotRS has the entire 65nm x 65nm area blocked with warnings. My TMO and RSRD has NO Warnings at all and its a perfectly straight, rock wall 2oo yards wide by 65nm long right under the surface. I would not call them shoals but they certainly would have the same affect if one hits them. Be aware.

Last edited by von Zelda; 03-31-20 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-30-20, 07:29 PM   #4
Captain Dave
Officer

Downloads: 398
Uploads: 3

Here's the coordinates: 141*E to 142*E & 1*S to 2*S
Old 03-30-20, 10:43 PM   #5
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166
Uploads: 0

That's one of the area's that I haunt.The west end you can ambush convoys and Horai Maru's...I sank 24 Horai's several times in that area..I call it a honey hole..
Old 03-31-20, 05:52 AM   #6
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default 65nm shallows below the 2*S line at 141*E to 142*E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
Here's the coordinates: 141*E to 142*E & 1*S to 2*S
You are correct in referring to the 65nm x 65nm area marked in the FotRS mod.

In my TMO & RSRD mods, at very high magnification, you can see a 2oo yard wide shallows that runs horizontally under the 2*S line for 65nm between 141*E to 142*E, with numerous small gaps and one 5.3nm break approximately mid way.

I use a Reverse color Mod where deep is near white and shallows are dark blue (nearly gray). Be aware, at normal magnification, the narrow 200 yard wide shallows resides right under the 2*S black line between 141*E to 142*E for the entire 65nm distance making it easy to miss.
Old 03-31-20, 05:05 PM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That is an out-of-the-box stock game issue, which we assumed initially was caused by an improper use the Terrain Extractor. In efforts to "fix" that steep fault line, all we succeeded in doing was to make matters worse. It seems to be a bad "seam" in the ocean floor there. No eye witness accounts of any steam vapors - at least, none that have survived... The "artwork" denoting the shoals is crude, and some one of these days, I'll attempt a refinement of the artwork. However, the game is also not very helpful in that regard either. Getting something sized correctly for the area, and yet have it be visible from courser zooms is nigh on impossible. Therefore, for now, the entire terrain grid area is covered. An earlier poster in a different thread called it the "Morse Code Line".

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-20, 06:56 PM   #8
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Morse Code Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Therefore, for now, the entire terrain grid area is covered. An earlier poster in a different thread called it the "Morse Code Line".
That's exactly what it looks like from above. A 200-yard by 65nm line of Morse Code.

I inspected it from below the surface with the periscope at about 3-400 yards. The top is very flat with rather sharp, 90-degree edges and lies just below the surface. The sides have long ridges that run up & down from the top to the bottom, I suspect.