SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-18-20, 01:49 PM   #1
Wolfcat
Chief

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default Use periscope to target different part of a ship

In SH4, you can't target different parts of a target ship by just putting the periscope cross hair on it, correct? The periscope is not tied to gyro-scope like German u-boats?
Wolfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-20, 07:19 PM   #2
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Correct.

But you can target different parts of the ship if you want to. Check this link: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...&postcount=204
Old 02-18-20, 08:13 PM   #3
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 262

Look up the "Dick O'Kane" targeting method. Also known as "Constant Bearing" method. You can target specific parts of the target as they pass across your wire.
Old 02-19-20, 11:16 AM   #4
Wolfcat
Chief

The problem is I am playing map contact update off. For this method to work, you need know the exact target course and position. Just wonder if I can unclick PK and then use the crosshair as my aiming point?
Old 02-19-20, 02:37 PM   #5
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 2

Wolfcat,

I think the answer to your question is yes. I've adapted the O'Kane method in a way you may be interested in:

I lock the target and range it with the stadimeter, then hit the button that sends it to the Position Keeper. I leave the PK off. Then I start the clock and wait a minute or two (or any amount of time really, but the longer you wait the less error you'll introduce). Then, I range with the stadimeter and send it to PK again. Then, I hit the clock icon on the speed selector. This automatically sets the speed which I then send to the PK. It also displays the estimated course and speed in the chat box. I move the periscope to somewhere ahead of the ship, and send the range to the PK again (range doesn't really matter, you're setting the bearing). Then I set the AOB so that the course is the one from the estimate, send AOB to PK again, send speed again, follow up with range(bearing) again, then wait for the part I want to hit to cross the wire.

So, yes, you can unclick the PK and use the crosshair as your aiming point. You just need to set the bearing, AOB, and speed for that aiming point and then wait for the ship to get there.

The other thing you might try is to offset the angle a bit in torpedo settings while using the PK and locked on. That's a bit harder to be precise on long shots but it should do well in close where the target length can cover ten degrees. Offset two degrees to forward to hit under the bridge and two and half aft to hit the engine room, etc. If you're trying to do that it would probably help to have OTC or something similar that makes sure the hash marks in the scope actually match the angular measurements.

I hope I've helped rather than just muddying the waters.

Good hunting!
SilentPrey
SilentPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-20, 04:07 PM   #6
Wolfcat
Chief

Your method makes sense. Let me try that tonite. Btw, What is OTC? a mod?
Old 03-22-20, 07:53 AM   #7
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

You can do it, but not as easy as in SH3 or SH5.

There two methods:

1. easiest, but not as accurate is to use the TDC, but use the torp Gyro to offset the shot right or left. Depending on the range .5 or 1 degree offset will target the bow or stern.

2. harder, similar to SH5.
i)determine TGT range, course, speed and plot on NAV map;
ii)determine spot on NAV map where you will launch torpedoes(usually an offset of 10-15 degrees from a 90 degree shot);
iii)input TGT AOB, speed, course from your sub to the spot along the TGT's track where you will launch torps into the TDC. Turn it on so the data is inputed and then turn off the PK (you can check the attack map to make sure the solution is good, i.e. 90 degree impact on TGT);
iv)as the TGT closes to launch point, keep your scope fixed on the launch point. As the TGT crosses you scope fire at the spot you want to target, bow, midship, stern, etc.