Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 12-16-12, 12:17 PM   #16
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 0

My bad, it is Shft+Z, I'm blaming my phone's autocorrect.
Old 12-16-12, 01:34 PM   #17
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
Ok so just set it up and got my FPS, sitting still at IND airport I got 25-30fps, when I started moving I was in constantly the 15-17 range

EDIT:

Tried it at LAX, had some major FPS drops, I lowered AI Aircraft and the level of generated trees and buildings. as well.

Next up is learning to actually fly lol Anyone care to tutor me over multiplayer? I have a mic.
IND? Independence? There are 8 airports at city of that name. Or KIND? Indianapolis? Anyhow. Som eof the major default airports like San Fran cisco are known to be frame hogs, in what way that compares to addon scnery airports I cannot say, I never use default airports.

But I do Addon airports like Frankfurt, Heathrow, Paris CDG - killer applications, and I do that with the 737NGX, pretty much maxed out graphics, traffic (airliners, GA), clouds and weather. When docked, frames are 25-30, when taxiing they are around 25-12, when flying, they are around 30 again.

Have you just reset the in-.game settings, or also tweaked the config and installed an external frame limiter? Also, what frames do you have during flight? With your specs you should not have any frame issues at all during flight.
Old 12-16-12, 01:45 PM   #18
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
IND? Independence? There are 8 airports at city of that name. Or KIND? Indianapolis? Anyhow. Som eof the major default airports like San Fran cisco are known to be frame hogs, in what way that compares to addon scnery airports I cannot say, I never use default airports.

But I do Addon airports like Frankfurt, Heathrow, Paris CDG - killer applications, and I do that with the 737NGX, pretty much maxed out graphics, traffic (airliners, GA), clouds and weather. When docked, frames are 25-30, when taxiing they are around 25-12, when flying, they are around 30 again.

Have you just reset the in-.game settings, or also tweaked the config and installed an external frame limiter? Also, what frames do you have during flight? With your specs you should not have any frame issues at all during flight.

I reset the in game settings to what you used,even less a bit, tweaked the config (however I couldnt pick how many threads I was running and the other drop down next to it, the only 2 where you can select I dont know. And I installed the external frame limiter as well. I think I may just uninstall and re install again.

As far as frames, Im getting like 15-20 stopped at the gate / taxing, then it likes to go down looking at all the scenery nearby (LAX) and then lifts to about 30 when Im in the air as long as Im not looking at all the houses and such... Im not sure whats wrong
Old 12-16-12, 02:12 PM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

I just tested it and set up a default 747 at gate 105 in KLAX, at sunset and with cloudy weather. I had 30 frames in all views, inside, outside: outside it even spiked to beyond 40, bypassing the frame limiter. I relocated to the runway, and then some taxiways: 30 fps, never less. My system is inferior to yours: i5 2500, 8 GB, GT460 SE (1MB).

If you made the cfg-tweak correctly, set up the frame limiter correctly, copied the settings as posted and have not messed up your nVidia driver settings, then I am running out of advice. Something maybe bottlenecking your system somehow?

I would head to Avsim forums now and ask for advice there.

Good luck!

P.S. Recheck your nVidia driver'S settings, make sure you have no utopic settings running from there with FSX. If your driver gives you issues bog or small with other game, use an earlier vrsion. I for example find 275.33 to be the last one that gave me no issues with all games I use - all later versions I tried (until the latest) gave me issues here and there.
Old 12-16-12, 02:28 PM   #20
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I just tested it and set up a default 747 at gate 105 in KLAX, at sunset and with cloudy weather. I had 30 frames in all views, inside, outside: outside it even spiked to beyond 40, bypassing the frame limiter. I relocated to the runway, and then some taxiways: 30 fps, never less. My system is inferior to yours: i5 2500, 8 GB, GT460 SE (1MB).

If you made the cfg-tweak correctly, set up the frame limiter correctly, copied the settings as posted and have not messed up your nVidia driver settings, then I am running out of advice. Something maybe bottlenecking your system somehow?

I would head to Avsim forums now and ask for advice there.

Good luck!

P.S. Recheck your nVidia driver'S settings, make sure you have no utopic settings running from there with FSX. If your driver gives you issues bog or small with other game, use an earlier vrsion. I for example find 275.33 to be the last one that gave me no issues with all games I use - all later versions I tried (until the latest) gave me issues here and there.
Are the drivers universal to all of the cards?

And on Bojotes tweak page, the first question is "how many threads are you running in task manager?" Where do I find that info, and then the next is "is hyperthreading active?" where would I find that information too? I couldnt figure out where it was so I put No clue
Old 12-16-12, 04:09 PM   #21
Skybird
Soaring

CTRL+ALT+DEL, then choose task manager, then processes.

The hyperthreading thing must be answered by somebody else.

Ehm - just asking because I know from several examples that not all people get it right the first time: you realised that you had to manually move the tweaked cfg into the FSX folder, yes? The tweak page does not do that for you, it just lets you download it. Just saying, because I know people who failed there.

Beyond that, ask in the avsim forums, really. Many competent people there. Probably already many helpful threads, too. They can help you better to analyse whether there is something misconfigured in your system, maybe. While the frames you reported are playable, they really have me wondering why I get better frames with more complicated airplanes and sceneries.
Old 12-17-12, 02:00 AM   #22
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
CTRL+ALT+DEL, then choose task manager, then processes.

The hyperthreading thing must be answered by somebody else.

Ehm - just asking because I know from several examples that not all people get it right the first time: you realised that you had to manually move the tweaked cfg into the FSX folder, yes? The tweak page does not do that for you, it just lets you download it. Just saying, because I know people who failed there.

Beyond that, ask in the avsim forums, really. Many competent people there. Probably already many helpful threads, too. They can help you better to analyse whether there is something misconfigured in your system, maybe. While the frames you reported are playable, they really have me wondering why I get better frames with more complicated airplanes and sceneries.
Im not sure, and yes I did move the file to the appropriate directory.
I will check there, just a quick check one more time can you start with an 737 at KLAX and let me know your frames on ground still, taking off (Mine always go down in cockpit) and then up in the air and high up?? Mine seem to be lowest when taking off/landing or coming in for it, which honestly, is kind of when you need max FPS Im really not sure what is the problem, I figured out my quad core is double threaded so its running at the power of 8.. Wait, I think the computer is on "Battery Saver" mode instead of entertainment mode, could that cause the crappy frames?
Old 12-17-12, 05:54 AM   #23
Skybird
Soaring

Default scenery KLAX: 25-30 and higher during final approach or takeoff.

One should have max frames (=30+) when in midair and not in reach of complex scenery airports or landscape sceneries with many buildings (=Vienna scenery was famous for bringing down frames for example). When approaching an airport with high complexity in buildings, there can be occasional drops in frames, but it shouldn't be anything dramatic, and everything still fluid. During taxiing, when the buildings get shown with high detail and much happens around you in terms of ground traffic, frames likely will drop significantly and reach their minimums of the session - but they still should be in the two digit range, always. Foir me, they are, even at Heathrow, Frankfurt and Paris, which I all use in addons with maximum detail.

However, I recall to have rea dover the years that KLAX is one of the most prominent examples of trappoing frames in the default FSX world. Frisco also was such a trap I believe to recall.

Two things. You could try with what you get when buying a single addon for a megahub.Often such addons are equal in frames, sometimes even superior, than default scenery, but do not read too much into the latter part of my sentence! That is that addon designers spend more time for optimizing.

Second, you can spend a minute on thinking whether or not your frames are playable or not. Taxiing at 1-13 frames is totally playable and okay, I often have that at busy airports of large size. Sitting still at the gate should have your frames in the high 20s, which also is perfect. In midair I assume you are already okay anyway. This is no superfast dogfight simulation you do not need angles flying by in superspeed and fluid frames when turning sharply. An airliner with 22 frames in midair I have flown for long time in FS2002, and it was absolutely okay and fluid. So consider whether the issues you have are really that much of an issue indeed and are worth to spend more time for trying to solve them. Either what you have in frames allows you to enjoy the sim, or not. But when it does, don't miss the time to leave experimenting behind and start enjoying the game.

If you love airliner flying and really want to make the jump from the game that FSX by default is to a real indepth simulation , consider the PMDG737NGX, I mean xmas and all that... I fly nothing anymore beside this, its all just toys out there beside this beast. It's almost the real thing you fly and man age.
Old 12-17-12, 08:19 AM   #24
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Quote:
. . . consider the PMDG737NGX, I mean xmas and all that... I fly nothing anymore beside this. . .
Really, Sky, you should have mentioned before!
Old 12-17-12, 08:23 AM   #25
Skybird
Soaring

I know, but before I felt I mentioned it just one time too rarely.
Old 12-17-12, 08:51 AM   #26
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Quote:
I know, but before I felt I mentioned it just one time too rarely.
The occasional screenshots would be good, I know you have in the past, but it's been a while.

Sorry USNSR, you can have your thread back now.
Old 12-17-12, 12:34 PM   #27
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Did i mention that my frames drop significantly while in cockpit mode instead of spot?
Old 12-17-12, 01:56 PM   #28
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Wow guys, I feel like an idiot. Ive had this computer for about a month now and wondered why games like KSP, FSX, and SH5 had SLIGHT trouble running at max settings. Now I know why, I had it on battery saver mode. I was right, switched it to entertainment mode, and now even with the external FPS limiter, Im pulling 40 Frames at LAX steady, when taking off it goes to about 25-30 and in air above LA Im at about 45-50 fps. Woohoo!! Man I feel like a douche.
Old 12-17-12, 02:17 PM   #29
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Glad you've got it sorted, and following Sky's advice isn't going to hurt either.
Old 12-17-12, 03:10 PM   #30
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
The occasional screenshots would be good, I know you have in the past, but it's been a while.

Sorry USNSR, you can have your thread back now.
Videos! Many at youtube, plus the two introductory films that I posted long time ago: they say more than a thousand pics.

---

Casey, also check in your nVidia driver that the power consummation of your gfx card is set to allow maximum performance. Here is again a trap where you can slow down gfx performance if setting it to something like "adaptive" or "economic" when the software is very demanding.

Some things just need a 'lil brute force, so give it all powerjuice you got!