SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-23-21, 08:56 PM   #196
Chunky Moe
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Support

Are these compatibility settings needed for everyone?
I'm running SH4 Gold from Ubisoft and it runs just fine at 1920x1080 @ 240Hz.
Just want to make sure if I need to do this to avoid any future problems as I havent played SH4 in ages.
Old 06-23-21, 09:29 PM   #197
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Welcome aboard!

Chunky Moe!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 09:33 PM   #198
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Moe View Post
Are these compatibility settings needed for everyone?
I'm running SH4 Gold from Ubisoft and it runs just fine at 1920x1080 @ 240Hz.
Just want to make sure if I need to do this to avoid any future problems as I havent played SH4 in ages.
No two computers are alike, so your mileage may vary. Some folks have to tick all of the boxes, some none...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-21, 03:10 PM   #199
j13emperor
Nub

Downloads: 7
Default Need Help!

Guys,

Need your help.
Haven't played the game for a while. I have a steam version of a game, but it just don't work. Crashes occur when trying to start new campaign, and game freezes when clicking on "Graphics Settings".
Upon entering museum I get a tab up top with ship type but the screen is black.
I tried everything that suggested here, DPI set correctly, run as admin and have properties on win7. DX9 installed as well.
I suppose, that it may have something with GPU, but cant find out, what's wrong.

P.S.
SH3 and SH5 same issue.

i9-10900K
32GB RAM
RTX 2070 SUPER
Win 10 x64
j13emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-21, 09:17 AM   #200
propbeanie

Did you install the DirectX v9.0c and Codecs with the game? The install routine menu will show them as an optional part, but they are not. The later versions of DirectX do not have the library files required of older games like the Silent Hunter series. If you crash anytime you go to do anything 3D in the game, that would be the suspect, or else the settings on the "Properties" page, as shown in post #195 on the preceding page here.

Old 06-26-21, 03:13 PM   #201
j13emperor
Nub

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Did you install the DirectX v9.0c and Codecs with the game? The install routine menu will show them as an optional part, but they are not. The later versions of DirectX do not have the library files required of older games like the Silent Hunter series. If you crash anytime you go to do anything 3D in the game, that would be the suspect, or else the settings on the "Properties" page, as shown in post #195 on the preceding page here.
Thank you, but this does not help.
Properties and DirectX enabled is shown.
Little update, in museum not just black screen, you can actually "rotate" ships, but when you do so it is just flash of a light, i suppose when camera dives under water.
Also, I can start single missions, but unable to unpause it, also, all HUD is visible, but screen still is black.

Same bug SH3/SH5.

Last edited by j13emperor; 06-26-21 at 03:28 PM.
j13emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-21, 04:09 PM   #202
propbeanie

Then you are back to the previous page here, Post #195 and the Properties settings for the SH4.exe file. You should, if at all possible, have Windows set to what the "native" resolution of your display monitor is, which Windows will identify as "(recommended)" in the display properties. Then try to set the game to the same thing. If you have a newer display, with really high resolution, you might have to reduce down to some other widescreen setting that allows parts of the display to be legible, such as the dials might be too small if you try to run at 4k, but 1920x1080 is a good substitute. You should not overdrive your display the other way though...

Old 07-03-21, 08:39 AM   #203
Pnzrldr
Watch

Downloads: 29
Default Ongoing Issue

Propbeanie, or others, I still cannot get it to go. I've done the DPI scaling stuff to the SH4.exe. I have done a clean install to a non-program files folder (I partitioned my single drive, so Steam would let me create a new folder. Easy peasy). I have manually run the DXSETUP.exe which installed DX9. No mods loaded yet, though JSGME is loaded and snapshot done. LAA run IAW directions. When I run the game, the Ubisoft logo pops up fine, the movie runs fine, and then the background music comes on and I go to a black screen that won't change. I can't see or click anything, though the mouse is (sort of) live. I have to exit out.
1. When installing DX9, do I need to ALSO run the directx_dec2006_redist.exe file found in the SilentHunter/DirectX folder? I tried running it and it wanted a directory to put files into. Has this already been done by the setup exe or do I need this as well, and if so, where to put the files?
2. I am (somewhat against my will) running an AMD Radeon 6700XT GPU. Are there specific AMD / Radeon settings I need to adjust? I have always been an Nvidia guy, but could literally not buy one and got stuck with this. Any settings or other things to try?
3. Is there any way to mod a cfg or similar file to make the game boot into a usable graphics state, and then adjust further?
4. Any other ideas? Give up and just watch streams from guys who figured it out?
Pnzrldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 10:14 AM   #204
propbeanie

If you basically have a bone-stock install, try emptying the Save folder, which can be reached with several short-cuts in Win10, but is usually found in "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" or similar, depending upon your Windows version and install. That holds the information that the game runs off of. It might still have some old settings that are interfering with running the game now.

Next, the DirectX v9.0c is best installed from the game set-up. The disk version of the game will give you a menu of choices of parts to install, with "tick" boxes for the choices, such as the "DirectX v9.0C" and "DirectX Codecs". Both of those are important. The last time I did a Steam install, I did not see those choices, and I cannot remember them from my Ubisoft Connect install, so I cannot help you there, but you do need both parts. However, if they installed with the game, you should NOT need to use the MS distributable package. Overwriting should also do no harm though.

Once those are set-up, the actual video stream configuration can be a source of troubles. The display monitor will have a "Native" resolution, such as a 4k monitor might be 4096 × 2160, but not always. My monitor has 1920x1080 as its "Native". In any case, the Windows display drive (whether ATI, nVidia or Intel or whatever) should be set to the same, which Windows would display as "(recommended)", such as "1920x1080 (recommended)" for my monitor. Then in the game, set the game's display to that also, which is on the Options, Graphic Settings pages. Some users cannot find an exact match to their displays, but if you can't find an exact match, choose the same aspect ratio, such as another 16:9 choice, that is lower than what your display is.

Looking at that picture on the previous page:

On my one computer with the larger display and dual vid cards, after clicking on the "Change high DPI settings", I had to click that top box for "Program DPI" "Use this setting for...", which then enables the "Use the DPI that's set for my main display when" and I chose the "I open this program" from the drop-down box in the middle of that 2nd window - In addition to using the "High DPI scaling override" and setting it to "Override high DPI scaling behavior - Scaling performed by:" and "Application". So on the main "Compatibility" page, I have "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and "Windows 7", "Disable fullscreen optimization" and "Run this program as an administrator", in addition to that "Change high DPI settings". No two of my computers have the same set of settings there though...

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-03-21 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-03-21, 11:16 AM   #205
Pnzrldr
Watch

Downloads: 29

Ok,

Sorry for the fuss. I am not sure which setting it was, but I opened the AMD Radeon Graphics settings for the application, found several modern game graphics optimizations turned on. I switched them all off, including Radeon Anti-Lag, Radeon Chill, Radeon Image Sharpening and under the Advanced tab, Surface Format Optimization. Essentially turned off everything in the Radeon settings. This coupled with the DPI/compatibility adjustments to the SH4.exe seem to have finally gotten me to the start screen! More to follow if I cannot successfully run FOTRS but hopefully this has done the trick.

Last edited by Pnzrldr; 07-03-21 at 11:30 AM.
Pnzrldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 11:26 AM   #206
propbeanie

I don't know what happened to my picture link... but I did fix that above...

Where do you have the SH4 game installed? Had you previously attempted to mod the game?

Old 09-16-21, 10:10 AM   #207
LOELI12
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 26
Default New information for Win 10 users

Today, I purchased Silent Hunter 4 "Gold" using the Ubisoft Connect Interface for approx. 4$. The download and Installation was done by Ubisoft Connect. The game is now part of several Ubisoft games in the Ubisoft Connect interface. To get the gamin running, only a single measure was necessary. I had to set for SH4.exe: Properties,Compatibility,change high DPI setting, Override high DPI scaling behavior ... performed by Application.
Nothing else was necessary and the sim is running even with 3840x2160 dpi.
It was absolutely worth 4$.
Bruno
LOELI12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 11:54 PM   #208
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

LOELI12!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-21, 11:27 AM   #209
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOELI12 View Post
Today, I purchased Silent Hunter 4 "Gold" using the Ubisoft Connect Interface for approx. 4$. The download and Installation was done by Ubisoft Connect. The game is now part of several Ubisoft games in the Ubisoft Connect interface. To get the gamin running, only a single measure was necessary. I had to set for SH4.exe: Properties,Compatibility,change high DPI setting, Override high DPI scaling behavior ... performed by Application.
Bruno
Great first post and welcome to SubSim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-21, 05:33 PM   #210
Jonesy
Sailor man

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOELI12 View Post
Bruno
here I was struggling with SH4 installation on my new laptop and I come here and find the fix in your post right away!

Thanks a bunch