SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-24-23, 11:37 AM   #16
SwissSubCommander
Asso dei Siluratori

Downloads: 330
Uploads: 2

So, progress has been made, but Im not quite there yet...
I edited the "Awardsitems 3&4" files.
I pasted every italian medal over the respective german one it should replace.
I tested this, after giving myself every medal by editing the savegame, but in the Awards-screen, the american medal wich is in "awardsitems 2" on the right hand side would show up
So I switched around the numbers of the files inside the menu_1024_768 file,
basically making every "awarditems 1" into a 3, every 2 into a 4 and vice versa...
When I did this, the "croce di guerra" showed up, the replacement for the german "knights cross" that sits in "awardsitems 4" on the right hand side.
Why this works is beyond me, since its basically loading a texture out of a foreign file...
Yay, an italian medal! Trouble is, it showed up for every single medal
Here is the awards-section of my menu_1024_768 file

Mat 0=data/menu/data/awardsitems_4.dds
Crop 0=0.5,0.0742188,0.5,0.851563
Mat 1=data/menu/data/awardsitems_3.dds
Crop 1=0.5,0.0742188,0.25,0.851563
Mat 2=data/menu/data/awardsitems_3.dds
Crop 2=0.75,0.0742188,0.25,0.851563
Mat 3=data/menu/data/awardsitems_4.dds
Crop 3=0,0.0742188,0.5,0.851563
Mat 4=data/menu/data/awardsitems_3.dds
Crop 4=0.25,0.0742188,0.25,0.851563
Mat 5=data/menu/data/awardsitems_3.dds
Crop 5=0,0.0742188,0.25,0.851563
Mat 6=data/menu/data/awardsitems_1.dds
Crop 6=0.25,0.0742188,0.25,0.851563
Mat 7=data/menu/data/awardsitems_1.dds
Crop 7=0.5,0.0742188,0.25,0.851563
Mat 8=data/menu/data/awardsitems_1.dds
Crop 8=0,0.0742188,0.25,0.851563
Mat 9=data/menu/data/awardsitems_1.dds
Crop 9=0.75,0.0742188,0.25,0.851563
Mat 10=data/menu/data/awardsitems_2.dds
Crop 10=0,0.0742188,0.5,0.851563
Mat 11=data/menu/data/awardsitems_2.dds
Crop 11=0.5,0.0742188,0.5,0.851563

And here are are the Awarditems 3 and 4 files respectively:

Any assistance would be highly appreciated

"Da mesi e mesi non faccio che pensare ai miei marinai che sono onorevolmente in fondo al mare. Penso che il mio posto è con loro."
-Carlo Fecia di Cossato

Last edited by SwissSubCommander; 01-24-23 at 11:48 AM.
SwissSubCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-23, 02:35 PM   #17
ElCid97
Gunner

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 5

This is what I'm seeing on the KSD2 install. Figured I'd use that one since it's meant for the "other" side from the beginning. My guess is that the mods for Dark Waters should be the same.

[G12 I5]
Name=Medals;CAPTAINS_LARGE_MEDALS
Type=1031;Stat bmp array
ItemID=0x12000003
ParentID=0x12000000
Pos=200,-166,256,436
Zone= 200 602 256 436 6 1 0x12000001 0.32 -0.5 0x12000003 -0.5 0.5 0 0
Materials=12
Display=2;Linear
Mat 0=data/menu/data/CaptainAwards_2.tga;PURPLE_HEART
Crop 0=0.5,0.0742188,0.5,0.851563
Mat 1=data/menu/data/CaptainAwards_1.tga;NAVY_CROSS
Crop 1=0.5,0.0742188,0.25,0.851563
Mat 2=data/menu/data/CaptainAwards_2.tga;BRONZE_STAR
Crop 2=0,0.0742188,0.5,0.851563
Mat 3=data/menu/data/CaptainAwards_1.tga;SILVER_STAR
Crop 3=0.75,0.0742188,0.25,0.851563
Mat 4=data/menu/data/CaptainAwards_1.tga;NAVY_COMMENDATION
Crop 4=0.25,0.0742188,0.25,0.851563
Mat 5=data/menu/data/CaptainAwards_1.tga;ASIATIC_PACIFIC_CAMPAIGN
Crop 5=0,0.0742188,0.25,0.851563
Mat 6=data/menu/data/awardsitems_3.dds
Crop 6=0.25,0.0742188,0.25,0.851563
Mat 7=data/menu/data/awardsitems_3.dds
Crop 7=0.5,0.0742188,0.25,0.851563
Mat 8=data/menu/data/awardsitems_3.dds
Crop 8=0,0.0742188,0.25,0.851563
Mat 9=data/menu/data/awardsitems_3.dds
Crop 9=0.75,0.0742188,0.25,0.851563
Mat 10=data/menu/data/awardsitems_4.dds
Crop 10=0,0.0742188,0.5,0.851563
Mat 11=data/menu/data/awardsitems_4.dds
Crop 11=0.5,0.0742188,0.5,0.851563
MatFlags=0x9
TexFmt=0x0
Drag=false
BmpState=1
NeedFocus=true
SelOne=false
IdGroup=0
StatesColors=0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0xFFFFFFFF

See how this compares to yours. Keep in mind that the "CaptainAwards" files are not the default, so it may look different if you're modding off the vanilla sim.

If you have these in your setup, then just change the name of the new images you did from "awardsitems_x.dds" to "CaptainAwards_x.dds" instead. The sim will load dds files before it loads tga files, so there shouldn't be any conflict.

If all else fails, just resize the Italian medals to fit over the German ones EXACTLY. I say this because I still haven't figured out the numbers for the cropping or the positioning of the images, so can't help there.

Send me a PM if you like and I'll see what I can look at sometime this week when I get the chance. Still putting finishing touches on my mod, so it wouldn't be too much to look at this in case I need to look at it later for a further "tweak" there.

On lunch. Will check later after work.

ElCid97
ElCid97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-23, 04:14 PM   #18
SwissSubCommander
Asso dei Siluratori

I dont know what to do anymore
I tried everything.
As you see, in the office view the correct medal shows (the german cross wich I replaced with the golden medal of valor):

But in the awards-view I am always greeted by the cross, no matter wich medal I really have

"Da mesi e mesi non faccio che pensare ai miei marinai che sono onorevolmente in fondo al mare. Penso che il mio posto è con loro."
-Carlo Fecia di Cossato
Old 01-24-23, 05:27 PM   #19
SwissSubCommander
Asso dei Siluratori

I tried to reduce the size of the italian medals, so that they fit inside the german ones.
Same result...

-Carlo Fecia di Cossato
Old 01-24-23, 08:02 PM   #20
ElCid97
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissSubCommander View Post
As you see, in the office view the correct medal shows (the german cross wich I replaced with the golden medal of valor): ...
Ah, capito.

Since my FotRSU install doesn't have any medals in the box, I wouldn't have noticed this small -- but very cool -- detail. I haven't gotten far enough in KSD2 or DW to earn anything.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the medals that are in the "office" are those that are labeled as "CaptainRoom_Badges_x.dds" in the "...\Data\Textures\TNormal\tex" folder. At least for the German side. The US side is, I believe, just "badges.dds" in the same folder.

Again, I'm not sure since I haven't found anything for the configuration of the "office" like for the other stuff. Then again, I'm fairly new at this and still looking around for things.

There are also some other files I've seen while lurking for stuff. There is a "Deco00.dds" and an "insigne.dds" in the ...\Data\Menu\Data folder as well. Not sure where or how these are used, but you may want to check since I've seen them in another folder as well. In either case, they're German.

Now you're making me want to check if there's a way to add the medals back to the box for the US side. And here I was hoping to get something in "beta" out for the weekend!

Keep us posted on what you're able to find!

Definitely looking forward to this!

ElCid97

PS: Try the following in the "menu.txt" file and let me know if it works.

;Italian mod check
5891=In the name of His Magisty, King Victor Emmanuel III,#NEWLINE#Il Duce,#NEWLINE#and the Commanders of the Comando Supremo and Supermarina#NEWLINE#I award the #NEWLINE##NEWLINE##MEDALNAME##NEWLINE##NEWLINE#to #TITLE# #NAME##NEWLINE##NEWLINE#for actions as Capitano of the Royal Italian Submarine #SUBMARINENAME##NEWLINE##NEWLINE#Given this #DATE##NEWLINE#Comando Supremo, Roma, Italia

Remember to back up the original. It's all the way down in the file. If it's done properly, it should give you the citation. You can then write it any way you want keeping in mind the "format" of the #NEWLINE# for each "return" to give you a new line. Your rank is #TITLE#. Your name as you entered it into the career is #NAME#, and the name of the boat as it appears in the sim is #SUBMARINENAME#. Finally, #DATE# is the date the sim gave you the award. Not sure exactly where that's at, but it works.

Also, remember NO SPACES between ANYTHING, or it's going to get messed up. You can have them for editing to make it "read" easier, but YOU MUST remove the spaces for the final form like above. Otherwise it won't work. That's why I was having issues before with the formatting. Live and learn!

Last edited by ElCid97; 01-24-23 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-24-23, 09:50 PM   #21
ElCid97
Gunner

Swiss,

I found it. It took a while, but it was in a forum here at the site.

The file indeed is "CaptainRoom_Badges.dds" to change what's in the box.

Unfortunately, they are actually 3D badges that are textured by the above mentioned texture. That means that if you change the box medal's texture to an Italian one in the "CaptainRoom_Badges.dds", the Italian texture will be mapped to a 3D model of the German star in the box.

That explains why they were removed altogether from the office of the FotRSU version I'm using, it seems. At least I'm not seeing anything in there, anyway. I do see the medal in the award when I click on the box, however, just like you see the medal in the certificate in your setup.

If you know how to make a 3D model of one (GMAX, 3DStudio, Wings, Blender, etc.) and can get it into the sim somehow, then you could make the 3D model, texture it with the medal texture, then swap out the German badge for the Italian badge.

Unfortunately seems like a lot to do. That, and it's one thing to figure out what needs to be done and quite another to actually pull it off. I know S3D is used for part of the process, but not sure how or where or if you even use a particular model extension.

I feel like I know the alternator has to be changed in my car, but don't really have any clue how to actually do it.

Hope this helped!

Now back to coding BuPers messages for the radio traffic!

ElCid97
Old 01-25-23, 09:32 AM   #22
SwissSubCommander
Asso dei Siluratori

I already edited the Captainroom-badges.
That's why in the "office"-view the correct medal is shown, inside an incorrect 3d model as you noted. The medal I have in the example above is the golden medal of valor, it replaces the "deutsches Kreuz" of the vanilla game.
I already tried this before with the u-boat sign and front clasp.
Three different medals, and every time the correct model and texture was shown in the "box"
but when I clicked on the box it always showed the croce di valor wich is pasted ontop the knights cross in Awardsitems_4.
It seems like, no matter wich medal I have, for the "medal-box-view" (when clicking on the box)
the game always loads the knights cross-texture
Wich is weird because in the menu file there are 11 items in the awards-section with each one clearly having a different crop command.
This is confusing beyond sanity, but I appreciate your help.
I'm visiting my folks in Switzerland for a few days, but I'll try your citation as soon as I get back 😎

-Carlo Fecia di Cossato
Old 01-25-23, 10:07 PM   #23
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Not sure if anyone has resolved this issue ... has anyone ever corrected SH4's medal awarding variables? I have had problems with the same medal being awarded over and over regardless of how successful my patrol was.....I played TMO (admittedly a long time ago) and was awarded the Silver Star all the time after several successful patrols. Extremely annoying.

I imagine this problem will carry on if you switch out to Italian medals, because the hard-coded award criteria problems will persist.

My workaround for my WWI mod is a new system of 3d medals ... they will be visible on the sub and the player purchases medals himself with renown.

Of course players can "cheat" by editing their renown and buying every medal, but hopefully people have enough self control not to do that!

Anyway, if the repeat award problem has been resolved I would love to find out how! Thanks.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-23, 10:27 PM   #24
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Not sure if anyone has resolved this issue ... has anyone ever corrected SH4's medal awarding variables? I have had problems with the same medal being awarded over and over regardless of how successful my patrol was.....I played TMO (admittedly a long time ago) and was awarded the Silver Star all the time after several successful patrols. Extremely annoying.
nope. never could find the logic or the variables that determine the hierarchy of the awards, for any side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Of course players can "cheat" by editing their renown and buying every medal, but hopefully people have enough self control not to do that!

Anyway, if the repeat award problem has been resolved I would love to find out how! Thanks.
i was unaware that one could actually "buy" awards for renown. i guess it is a chicken-and-egg thing. if one earns renown from missions, one should be awarded the medals. how can one buy a different award?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-23, 11:39 PM   #25
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

Don't forget the bad bad Ubisoft "math": Of refits, new commands, rank, and retirements from Ducimus, and the Patrol Rating, etc. that influences everything in SH4.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-23, 11:44 PM   #26
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Don't forget the bad bad Ubisoft "math": Of refits, new commands, rank, and retirements from Ducimus, and the Patrol Rating, etc. that influences everything in SH4.
yeah but that was more for keeping your career going and getting promoted.
medals, as you know, are a horse of a different color.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-23, 11:53 PM   #27
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

Total patrol score does matter most, but the rating does come into play somewhere also. Strange thing is, you can sink a friendly for a 10x points loss, but if you sink enough enemy and maybe grap some more points with Objective completions, you can still get medals... no charges... CapnScurvy and a few other old heads were the most knowledgeable about the subject, and I do remember hearing swear words all the way from the Cincinnati area when he was trying to format the text better of his Medals mod for FotRSU... very frustrating crapolla... such simple text-based files, of which you can't change certain lines, but there is also something borked in one of the libraries or the exe, all because of no licensing from the US military for the images...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-23, 02:28 PM   #28
ElCid97
Gunner

I remember reading somewhere that the "qualifications" for the medals is indeed hard-coded somewhere.

The PH was something like 40% or greater damage to the sub. The next one up was for 3 ships sunk, the next one up for 6 ships, and the next one after that for 9 ships in a certain time period.

I believe there was also another medal for 6 ships in a single action.

The other thing I remember reading is that the "points" or "credits" towards the medal were also influenced by the difficulty setting, so the "harder" or more "realistic" the settings, the "simpler" (more points/credits towards the medal) you recieved towards a particular medal.

It's scattered somewhere on the forums here, and most of the stuff I've come across is from 2009 or so. Apparently it was an Ubisoft programer that gave the info, but it was a few years after they worked on it and he was going off of memory.

I've managed to get the "text" for the award to look somewhat decent, but can't get it to center. That may be what Capt Scurvy was trying to do as well. Here's what it will look like in the mod I'm working on:

It's an early version I managed to screenshot. The citation is all lined up on the right hand side, but I've managed to figure out how to get the stuff to at least look somewhat presentable.

I'll take a screenshot of the latest "dev" version when I can. I've FINALLY removed the unwanted indentation at the bottom as well as the extra lines or spaces that have been put in by the program where I don't want them. It turns out you can't have extra spaces or the formatting goes nuts.

At least the thing now looks like a certificate should look like.

ElCid97
Old 02-01-23, 12:19 AM   #29
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Nice work with the award text ElCid97; maybe you could just type out whatever you want, save an image of the text with suitable fancy/official looking certificate image, and add that image to the .dds or .tga of the medal? Instead of using the game's fonts; I agree they are a pain (and I never liked the tan color).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
nope. never could find the logic or the variables that determine the hierarchy of the awards, for any side.

i was unaware that one could actually "buy" awards for renown. i guess it is a chicken-and-egg thing. if one earns renown from missions, one should be awarded the medals. how can one buy a different award?
Sry should have been more clear. What I mean is, I will be implementing a system of buying medals for renown in my mod. Basically the process is, you use renown to buy awards yourself, just like how you can buy things like Alberich, better guns, or emblems. I will be implementing a new medals case and 3d awards visible in real time, so that you can actually see the medals on your sub. For WWI uboats I can use maybe the TBT or a radar station as the medals case, since those stations were never used on WWI era subs.

I tested a Bavarian military order a long time ago and it wen well - medal appeared with no problems.....was going to do some more but other things have been higher priority....right now my plan is for medals to be one of the last things worked on before release.

In my planned system you choose what awards you deserve based on patrol results, so it kind of relies on the player to be honest and not edit renown, but I suppose you could do that already, I bet most people aren't lame enough to cheat in this sort of game lol...I plan to change the stock medal award screen just to a general notification that you have been recommended for an award. Or that the higher-ups are pleased with your patrol.

Also, renown per ship limits the potential for dishonesty.... make it so 4-5 freighters allow you to purchase nothing but an Iron Cross 1st Class, whereas sinking a battleship gives you enough for the Blue Max.

Would be pretty easy to adapt to WWII time period and any nation, if all goes well.

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote