SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Red Storm Rising
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-27-06, 10:28 PM   #16
swimsalot
Helmsman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

cmon guys, gimme a bone here.
I'm not a 'tard, but I'm missing something in this mission.
Please help a guy out.
thanks,
Swims
Old 01-27-06, 11:57 PM   #17
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

SPOILER FOLLOWS

Okay, here's how this scenario works.

At the start of the scenario, one of three possible diesel subs are created. One of these is a Kilo-class, the other two are Foxtrots.

Each of these subs has a "Relative Position" trigger attached with the following parameters needed to fire the trigger:

For the Kilo, the player's FFG must approach to within 3 miles of the sub and remain there for at least 15 minutes. This trigger will not fire before time 19:00.

For the first Foxtrot, the player's FFG must approach to within 3 miles of the sub and remain there for at least 15 minutes. This trigger will not fire before time 19:00.

For the second Foxtrot, the player's FFG must approach to within 3 miles of the sub and remain there for at least 15 minutes. This trigger will not fire before time 18:30.

When the sub's Relative Position trigger fires, a script is run. The script tells the sub to surface and sets a course and speed to leave the area.

In order to get a successful 'mission complete', the FFG's "lookout" sensor must detect the surfaced sub.

I've checked and double-checked the above and everything seems to be in order. I can think of two possibilities for why the mission isn't working correctly for some players:

1) There might be something screwy with how DW implements the "relative position" trigger. For example, if the FFG approaches to within 3 nm of the sub, but leaves before the 15 minites are over, will this prevent the trigger from ever firing in the future? :hmm:

2) The sub's AI routines might be interfering with or superceding the 'surface sub' script. If the sub doesn't get to the surface, then the lookout sensor won't be able to detect it and the mission will fail.

Either of the above would be a fault of the game program. Further investigation is needed to understand what the game program is doing. I can think of some possible work-arounds by changing how the scenario's triggers are set up.

Finally, this mission has some additional trigger logic for the case where the player opens fire on the sub. Start the war and see what happens!
Old 01-29-06, 12:58 PM   #18
swimsalot
Helmsman

Thank you very much Sir, I really appreciate it.
So if I understand correctly, I must locate and close to within 3nm of sub, and remain there for minimum of 15 minutes, and the sub will not surface until 19:00 or 18:30, depending on type.
I did sink the Foxtrot once, it gave me a mission incomplete
I will run it again, following your guidelines.
Again, thanks very much, this is what the forums are really for in my opinion- helping others with less experience to enjoy the sim!
Swims
Old 01-29-06, 01:51 PM   #19
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

To be more precise, the 'Relative Position' triggers won't be 'active' before those times. Thus, the earliest that the sub will surface is 15 minutes after the times stated.
Old 01-29-06, 05:14 PM   #20
swimsalot
Helmsman

ahhh, so the MINIMUM mission times would be 1.5 hrs or 2.0 hrs, correct?
Old 01-30-06, 01:19 AM   #21
Miika
A-ganger

Downloads: 21

What Bill said sounds familiar; I've had similar problems. A couple of comments:

Are you using event triggers? I've found them to have some problems, at least with "use doctrine language" option. I recently had to replace event triggers with goal triggers in order to make some missions work.

It also seems that subs don't always follow scripts. In a mission I'm currently working with I finally ended up using 3 scripts simultaneously forcing a sub to surface, one repeating itself every minute. The sub, however, still dives all the time. I guess there is some hard-coding that makes the subs avoid "hostiles".'

Miika
Old 01-30-06, 03:10 PM   #22
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Depending on the priority set by the sim engine for all the scripts and doctrines running for a single AI controlled platform (and there can be MANY running at once for each platform, a tribute to the programmers) the platform may or may not respond to certain scripts or even doctrine level commands.

There is a variable entered by the sim in the doctrines called SetPriority, and this is largely what is used to resolve conflicting doctrine/script commands, and although I believe it can be defined, for every doctrine/script cycle for the platform it gets shifted on the fly by the sim.

Amizaur, knows much more about this than me, but we have had the same problem figuring out why certain doctrine level commands didn't work in certain situations and it is very much the same problem that mission designers seem to have with certain scripts not working correctly or at all, and we have narrowed down some to the way multiple command paths are run and handled by the sim, which is ultimately a strength of the game because of the flexibility it allows.

For example, the straight running torpedo bug (which has been fixed in the doctrine update for LWAMI 3.00b) was a result of multiple copies of the Torpedo doctrine opening for each contact and throwing off a variable counter that reset the torpedo to search again each time the sim shifted priority between them based on the contact environment.

Fortunately, this counter was unnecessary, most likely a holdover from Sub Command, so removing it solved the problem and now the torpedoes seem to work great.
Old 01-30-06, 03:50 PM   #23
swimsalot
Helmsman

Thanks guys.
I'm still stuck.
I stayed within 1nm of sub from 17:20 until 21:30.
I used all types of active sonar, while doing circles around the sub to make sure he heard the pings. My average range was <1k yards!
Is there any way to "bypass" this mission and continue the campaign?
It appears that something is not right here.
Appreciate the help.
Swims
Old 01-30-06, 05:19 PM   #24
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimsalot
Thanks guys.
I'm still stuck.
I used all types of active sonar, while doing circles around the sub to make sure he heard the pings. My average range was <1k yards!
Appreciate the help.
Swims
I'll re-work the triggers on this scenario to make it work more reliably. In the meanwhile, you can play the single-mission versions included with my zip file. Just play them in order and you'll get most of what's in the campaign.
Old 01-31-06, 06:53 AM   #25
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimsalot
Thanks guys.
I'm still stuck.
Appreciate the help.
Swims
Here's a new version that, I believe, fixes the problem. I've replaced the 'relative position' triggers with 'approach' triggers (in case there's something strange happening with the relative position logic), and added a check so that, if the sub hasn't surfaced within 5 minutes of the surface-sub script running, you get credit for the mission anyway. Let me know if this works better for you. :|\

http://www.subguru.com/DW_missions/Mission_2_fix.ZIP
Old 02-01-06, 11:36 AM   #26
swimsalot
Helmsman

Excellent customer service Sir, I'll run it today.
Mahalos,
Swims
Old 02-23-06, 01:01 AM   #27
GunnersMate
Lieutenant

Downloads: 4

I'm in the middle of this mission and mission time is 0227L and I figured something must be wrong because I've been tracking this guy within 2Kyds since 1845L and stayed with him through all his turns. he's been running at 17 kts and 800ft for friggin 4 hours now! I guess his battery has to die sometime right? Does he have the energizer rabbit on wheel in that thing
BTW I just d/l RSR today.
Edit - I'l' sav this mission and run it tommorow to see if he'll run aground somewhere near Cape Hatteras!

I\'m having trouble with the radar, sir.
What\'s wrong with it?
I\'ve lost the bleeps, I\'ve lost the sweeps, and I\'ve lost the creeps.
Old 10-23-06, 12:36 AM   #28
Ultraboy
Gunner

Downloads: 20

Well, I hate to bump an old topic but...

I was playing this campaign again after recently coming back to DW, and I had not seen that there was a fix for mission 2. (Furthermore, I didn't recall having any trouble with it the first time around)

Anyway, I had the same problem as everybody else, and naturally, I came running to the forums to see what's what. But before I installed the fix, I thought I'd give it one last try. So I loaded my saved game, stayed where I was on top of the Foxtrot, and fifteen or so minutes later, up he came.

So, though it's hardly relevant now, it seems that whatever the problem was can be fixed with a simple save and re-load.

Oh, and by the way, FANTASTIC campaign Bill, just fantastic.
Old 05-23-11, 04:55 PM   #29
horrgakx
Ensign

Downloads: 2

I've been put on this thread from another - I had the same (stock Steam version) and I chased him off the side of the map. I varied between 300yds and 500yds distance, even criss-crossing over the top of the sub, constant pinging by me and sonar bouys. Also, I didn't know that sub could drive for that long amount of time at a constant 15kts...

Anyhoo, I scrapped that one and restarted the mission completely. In a very short space of time of doing the same stuff the sub "surfaced" (actually it looked more like snorkel depth). I have no idea what I did differently.
Old 04-22-12, 11:41 PM   #30
arief.satriyo
Sailor man

Downloads: 34
mission fix make problem worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols View Post
Here's a new version that, I believe, fixes the problem. I've replaced the 'relative position' triggers with 'approach' triggers (in case there's something strange happening with the relative position logic), and added a check so that, if the sub hasn't surfaced within 5 minutes of the surface-sub script running, you get credit for the mission anyway. Let me know if this works better for you. :|\

http://www.subguru.com/DW_missions/Mission_2_fix.ZIP
This is an old thread but since I just played DW and replaying RSR campaign I also experience the same problem with mission 2 (DW v1.04 & LwAmi 3.11)
I already install mission 2 fix, but the problem get worse because that "Energizer Bunny Powered" Kilo class doesn't even surface and continue running at 15kts at 800ft deep although there is "Mission Accomplished" message, the mission critical objective remain Incomplete so that make the campaign stuck at mission 2 and most of the time CTD whenever I attempt to save (1 out of 3)
I can email you the saved game if you need it.