SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-29-20, 08:45 AM   #1
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Editing Mouse Sensitivity in SH4?

I am interested in knowing if I can edit the Mouse Sensitivity in the game in situations like aiming the guns, scope or when walking around the Stations. I am aware of the Ctrl and Shift modifiers for movement but still need to lower it further.

The reason I am asking is that I would like to continue to use my Wacom Graphics Tablet and pen as the input device. I am used to the Absolute Positioning when clicking on "flat" games and now find it awkward when switching to Mouse to briefly play something with a 3D camera.

The tablet pen has a VERY high dpi and it is confusing the game when I am in any mode where the view is a floating camera. The camera spins wildly. It is not unique to SH4. In fact any game that does not have a widely editable Mouse Sensitivity suffers from it too. I estimate about a tenfold reduction is needed to match the mouse sensitivity as Wacom states about 5000lpi as the built in pen sensitivity.

I can confirm the camera moves as expected in Normal, Ctrl (slow) and Shift (fast) modes when I do use the mouse but would love to try the game with the tablet and pen as main input device.

Thoughts or questions?
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 07:56 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Walking around the stations is controlled by the game file camera.dat which has nothing to do with mouse control, but camera views and their speed, so you would need to tweak that file which can mess-up quite a lot of other game aspects like the optics etc.
You would need to open the camera dat with the S3D tool and change all sections for the camera speed, for example

CameraParams > Node_Dummy_cam_ConningDeck > FreeMove > MoveSpeed

and this just for the Conning Tower movement speed. Then you need to go through all other sections...

I have a gaming mouse, not too expensive, and I can press a single button to chose from 3 different speeds for the pointer, but I don't think this will speed-up or slow down the movements in the sub, and if yes it would be cumbersome to change the setting every time when using the map or the optics which require a different slower speed.
If there was such a mouse setting file in the game it would be in the savegame folder in Documents\SH4, in one of the cfg files, but there is nothing like that.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-29-20 at 08:04 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 01:21 AM   #3
DanielCoffey
Planesman

I understand. I'll have to use the mouse with this game which is a shame as the tablet works so well for everything else such as the manual TDC and mapping tools.

The pen has no sensitivity controls (other than pressure) so I can't adjust that.

Out of interest, how does the game decide to slow down the mouse sensitivity when using the Ctrl key? Are there just three levels of sensitivity and it chooses between slow, normal and medium?
Old 05-30-20, 04:18 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post

Out of interest, how does the game decide to slow down the mouse sensitivity when using the Ctrl key? Are there just three levels of sensitivity and it chooses between slow, normal and medium?

Yes, that's what I'm wondering too, there must be a file defining all keystrokes, I don't know yet where it's located, if I find it I will take a look for mouse sensivity for sure and report to you here.

In the meantime, I hope you get other helpful feedbacks, my technical knowledge about SH4 is rather limited.

XS
Old 05-30-20, 04:24 AM   #5
DanielCoffey
Planesman

The slow, normal and fast keybindings are in the usual place and some folks who wanted to invert mouse on the free cameras also pointed out you can change it so that slow is the default speed but they could not edit the actual sensitivity itself.
Old 05-30-20, 04:38 AM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

The keystroke definition file is Commands.cfg located in Data\Cfg, but there is no sensivity setting I could find. There is this:

---------------------------
[Cmd92]
Name=Move_forward
Ctxt=1,2,3,5,9,11
Key0=0x26,R,""
Key1=0x26,Rc,""
;Key2=0x68,R,""
;Key3=0x68,Rc,""

[Cmd93]
Name=Move_forward_fast
Ctxt=1,2,3,5,9,11
Key0=0x26,Rs,""
Key1=0x26,Rcs,""
;Key2=0x68,Rs,""
;Key3=0x68,Rcs,""
-------------------------------

but I don't know how to change this to reduce / increase speed if at all possible.
I think you need to set your mouse speed or other settings with the mouse software in Windows to show desired results in the game.

XS
Old 05-30-20, 05:00 AM   #7
DanielCoffey
Planesman

I understand what you are saying but I can't in this case as the pen does not behave the same way that a mouse does. The sensitivity is not exposed in its drivers.