SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-20-13, 11:38 PM   #91
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
Jimbuna wins his has 9 kills.
CCIP wins with the hair.
Old 02-21-13, 12:59 AM   #92
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
I hate when you are talking about WW2 Aviation and you bring up the ****e-Wulf.

All the people who can't tell the difference between ****e and (the other word that shall not be mentioned) all gasp until you spell it and explain that it's a fighter plane...

It happened so many times (even in history class when the teacher thought I cussed him out) so I just say Fw-190 Fighter Plane.
In 12th grade we had to write a research paper in English 4 I was assigned to write a comparison/contrast paper so I chose WWII fighter aircraft vs. modern aircraft.The subject aircraft where the Fw190 and the F-16.I had to also present a presentation for the entire class.

This was back in 1994 and the "internets" had a lot less information on it back then so finding something interesting to display was hard to do.I managed to find this VHS tape(I bet you do not even know what that is) that had hours of gun camera footage on it from WWII.I tried my best to explain how they used the technology then and now how pilots used the different systems to shoot an aircraft down.At the end I showed the VHS gun camera footage and another film of a MiG-17 getting hit by a sidewinder the Mig kill was last.When I was done this kid said "that missile kill was boring" he then asked the teacher if we could watch the WWII gun camera tape again.It was much more interesting to my class mates WWII air combat because they realized that only a very small number of pilots had the skill to be truly deadly that and it is cool to watch a plane get torn apart by cannon and machine gun fire.

Did you say fok-a or fok like Fokker?If you said fok with out the er you have it wrong and it does sound close to the word of ill repute.With German names no letters are silent just like Porshe it is not pronounced "Porsh" the E at the end sounds like an a it is the same with F o c k e.If you where pronouncing it correctly then your teacher is probably a pinko commie tree huger and should be ignored. you must make the "e" an "a" like Shaka Zulu.

Last edited by Stealhead; 02-21-13 at 01:14 AM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 03:34 AM   #93
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

^^^^

I pronounce it as ****eh.

It's auto-censored, isn't it?
Old 02-21-13, 04:54 AM   #94
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
OH! I almost forgot! As long as we're showing pictures of ourselves with famous planes, did I ever tell you about my time with the Luftwaffe?

Typical American....has to wear a ammo belt around himself

HunterICX
Old 02-21-13, 06:30 AM   #95
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
So you know MH.... there will be one flying one of these days out of Reading, PA by the Mid Atlanctic Air Museum. This one was brought back from Indonesia back in 1990 off of Mt. Cyclopes. Today she sitting on her landing gear. Still work to be done. And once finished she'll be the only flying P-61 in the world. I've even had hands on working on a bit of the restoration.

Check it out here.... www.MAAM.org This is also the home of the World War II Weekend, held the first weekend of June every year. This year will be the 23rd year. Direct link to their P-61.... http://www.maam.org/p61.html

[/IMG]
Lucky you to be able to work on this airplane and thanks for the link to the site. The restauration pictures are great and might come very useful.
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 07:16 AM   #96
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Did you say fok-a or fok like Fokker?If you said fok with out the er you have it wrong and it does sound close to the word of ill repute.With German names no letters are silent just like Porshe it is not pronounced "Porsh" the E at the end sounds like an a it is the same with F o c k e.If you where pronouncing it correctly then your teacher is probably a pinko commie tree huger and should be ignored. you must make the "e" an "a" like Shaka Zulu.
What's a Porshe - a female in financial trouble?

F.ocker in German sounds like Lock in British pronounciation + the 'e' like in 'men', then finish with a rolling scottish 'r'. Though youre right, in contemporary German you can say F.okka with the Shaka 'a' - especially if you can'T "rrrrr" . The 'e' in Porsche is also pronounced like the men-'e'.

Btw thanks for improving my German with the 'Bauart' translation. No kidding. Today you use Bauart similar to (construction) style - just what the word literally means. For example a station wagon would be a Bauart of a car.
It looks like in the 1930s the word was indeed used similar to design - makes more sense this way. Well, I learn something new every day.
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 08:42 AM   #97
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post

HunterICX

You'd think that thing would flap around in the windstream...

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 09:17 AM   #98
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Well if this is Bf109 appreciation day:

Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 10:17 AM   #99
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Ah, Gustav, I've been expecting you (in a Bond villan voice).
Old 02-21-13, 10:22 AM   #100
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
This was back in 1994 and the "internets" had a lot less information on it back then so finding something interesting to display was hard to do.I managed to find this VHS tape(I bet you do not even know what that is) that had hours of gun camera footage on it from WWII.
I'm not THAT young. I grew up on those things. I still have a working VCR believe it or not. VHS Movies was my childhood. Along with flight sims and sports.

That sounds awesome though! I still can't get my class to understand air combat. They barely understand combat as it is. I'm the military history buff of the school. I have 8 kids in my class total and every time I give a presentation like that they ask all these questions and they don't understand.

"Why did that pilot fly all the way over there before turning back?"

He did that to line up a better shot and evade enemy fighters (or something like that...I'm just coming up with random questions and answers)

"But wouldn't it make sense to stay close to your target and just keep turning around?"

"Why didn't they just shoot the plane and kill it? How hard is that?"

Old 02-21-13, 11:28 AM   #101
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Well if this is Bf109 appreciation day:
Ah, Hendon I believe and a Storm Shadow passing overhead

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 11:38 AM   #102
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
I see your Canadian Spit pose, Jim and raise you my Canadian Spit pose
I'll raise you this German beastie (JU 88)...my stupid mate got way too close and drew the attention of security before I could pass my camera over for him to take a shot of me

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 02:33 PM   #103
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Ah, Hendon I believe and a Storm Shadow passing overhead
Bingo, and likewise your night 88. Battle of Britain Hall with a 110 to the left, and a 109 and He-111 to the right of the pic.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 03:16 PM   #104
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
They never issue me enough of the stuff! I have to carry the spares somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
You'd think that thing would flap around in the windstream...
I invented velcro. It is a little rough flying with that side-mounted canopy open, though. Also, when I pull my super-fancy negative-g maneuvers the scarf tends to get caught in the prop. I also invented Krazy-Glue, just to keep my head on.
Old 02-21-13, 03:22 PM   #105
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

B-29 Superfortress