Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 01-01-10, 03:54 PM   #1
trek
Sailor man

Downloads: 610
Uploads: 0
Default JSGME Procedure and ZW_Mod/Questions for T34vsTiger

Thought since I'm using Vista 32-bit and didn't get all my answers from the other thread I'd start a new one.

OK, I've DL the JSGME Mod Enabler, installed it with the ZW_Mod in the TvT game directory. I enabled the mod and started the game but don't see it in the game.

Obviously, I'm missing something here. Does the ZW_Mod also have to be in the Program Files Directory under Lighthouse Interactive to work?

Old 01-01-10, 04:12 PM   #2
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
Thought since I'm using Vista 32-bit and didn't get all my answers from the other thread I'd start a new one.

OK, I've DL the JSGME Mod Enabler, installed it with the ZW_Mod in the TvT game directory. I enabled the mod and started the game but don't see it in the game.

Obviously, I'm missing something here. Does the ZW_Mod also have to be in the Program Files Directory under Lighthouse Interactive to work?
Here make it look like this Trek:

ZeeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-10, 04:34 PM   #3
Mikhayl
Captain

Downloads: 64

With Vista you have to install the game outside of "Program Files", for example in C/Games/Lighthouse/T34 vs Tiger, otherwise the mods won't work at all.
Mikhayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-10, 04:39 PM   #4
KdF
Loader

Downloads: 0

OOhhhh....I'm using XP. Thats why it tried to make another folder.

KdF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-10, 04:56 PM   #5
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Default JSGME install

JSGME is fantastic with Silent Hunter but it has been a disaster for me with
T34 vs Tiger. I will not release another production using it. So the best thing is to install using the auto installer. It has a Un-installer.

ZeeWolf
Old 01-01-10, 05:14 PM   #6
Mikhayl
Captain

Kdf, to use JSGME with TvT the procedure is the same on both Vista and XP. The only difference is that the game must be installed outside of "Program Files" under Vista, but the folder structure for mods and JSGME with TvT is as explained.

It's as simple as it gets, people just need to follow the instructions, changing 2 folders isn't the end of the world
Old 01-01-10, 05:29 PM   #7
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl View Post
Kdf, to use JSGME with TvT the procedure is the same on both Vista and XP. The only difference is that the game must be installed outside of "Program Files" under Vista, but the folder structure for mods and JSGME with TvT is as explained.

It's as simple as it gets, people just need to follow the instructions, changing 2 folders isn't the end of the world

That's good news Mikhayl

ZeeWolf
Old 01-03-10, 12:48 PM   #8
trek
Sailor man

Downloads: 610

OK, Mikhayl, did I read your post correctly? The GAME ITSELF first has to be installed OUTSIDE of the Program Files with Vista before installing mods for them to work?

I have TvT installed in my program files as are my other 35 games with most modded with JSGME and they work. What is different about TvT that requires this type of install?

This would explain why the self-installer as well as the JSGME has failed to work.

From the posts here there seems to be no consensus of which method to use. If I reinstall TvT outside of the program files will the self-installer be the way to go? Do we need both the self-installer and JSGME. I didn't see everything needed in my first try at the self-installer.

I think before ZeeQWolf goes further with this mod a sticky should be posted with a firm step-by-step procedure with all relevant info like your post about installing outside the program files with Vista.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I've had no trouble doing modding on my other games with or without JSGME within the program files.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful and overjoyed that ZeeWolf is putting his time and sweat into TvT. But for the mod to succeed the install process has to be streamlined and exact with all the relevant info provided to avoid user frustration.

I'm a retired IT System person, but I didn't work on game programs and I just got back into PC gaming a couple years ago. In our training programs though, we had to be clear and precise so the novice PC client could understand and use the program.

The sticky should INCLUDE the info about VISTA. Also for gaming on VISTA the UAC (User Account Control) should be kept OFF. You can avoid all kinds of gaming problems with this disabled. This should also be included in the sticky. Having UAC off for home use is not a problem as far as any security.

And Mikhayl, thanks ahead of time for your help. As my boss used to say "we just need clarification."
trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 01:41 PM   #9
Mikhayl
Captain

Hi Trek, if you have UAC turned off then no problem, but usually people have it on so it's recommended to install all games outside of program files otherwise mods won't work.

With that out of the way, using JSGME with TvT is just as easy as in any game, BUT it has to be put in the "Lighthouse" folder, not in the game root folder (lighthouse/t34vstiger), AND the mods folder structure has to be adapted accordingly, which means adding one folder.

When using JSGME as usual, you have MODS/Mod name/Data stuff/.

For TvT, since JSGME is not placed the game root folder but above, the mod structure has to be like this: MODS/Mod name/T34 vs Tiger/Data stuff/.

The mods folder structure just mimics that of the game files, if you wanted you could have JSGME and your MODS folder placed on your desktop and it would still work, as long as the mods folder structure points the modded files to the right direction.
Old 01-09-10, 01:23 AM   #10
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Just noticed this thread - are there any major concerns/issues or similar that I need to consider to ensure the ongoing compatibility of JSGME with as many games as posible? Or are things under control here?
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-10, 02:20 AM   #11
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
Just noticed this thread - are there any major concerns/issues or similar that I need to consider to ensure the ongoing compatibility of JSGME with as many games as posible? Or are things under control here?
Hello JScones, I would really like your input on the Vista issue. It seems
Vista requires the addition of a spacial directory. Do you have any input
for us Vista novices that will aid in the installation process using your Mod
Enabler?

Best Regards,
ZeeWolf
Old 01-09-10, 02:28 AM   #12
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Sure. The JSGME Help file provides steps for getting JSGME to work under Vista:
Quote:
- MICROSOFT VISTA USERS: If you are running the Generic Mod Enabler on Vista and are having problems with mods "taking" (the usual symptom is that the MODS folder itself is not created when the Generic Mod Enabler is first run), then simply right-click JSGME.exe in Windows Explorer and select "Run as Administrator". Alternatively, right-click JSGME.exe and select "Properties". In the properties window select the "Compatibility" tab and check "Run this program in compatibility mode" and in the box below select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". In some instances you may need to apply both solutions.
These steps are only required, however, if you have installed your game to your \Program Files folder.

When it comes to Vista, if one simply installs games *outside* of the \Program Files folder, say to a location such as "C:\Games\Wherever", then they will have ZERO issues running moddable games. This is the strongly recommended approach, as Vista's UAC goes well beyond just affecting JSGME...installing *any* moddable game to \Program Files will result in problems, regardless of whether you use JSGME or not to mod the files.

Ounce of prevention, pound of cure and such.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 12:24 AM   #13
ArmorEtr
Watch

Downloads: 1

So in other words, just turn off UAC then. I think it sucks anyway and causes nothing but headaches for users.
ArmorEtr is offline   Reply With Quote