SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-11-20, 04:26 PM   #421
burki
Watch

Downloads: 121
Uploads: 0

Ill try the netframe one I guess
burki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 04:35 PM   #422
burki
Watch

Yea to be more specific I get stuck on No mission too difficult.
Old 02-11-20, 05:48 PM   #423
sperril
Swabbie

Downloads: 12

I'm having a little trouble and can't see it's been reported before. First patrol out of Manila in an S-boat. I've done 2 patrol zones and was then tasked with the landing in Lingayen Gulf. I found 8 or so small troopships without any protection at anchor. I hit 3 with my initial wave of torps. Coming closer to a fourth with the scope up I didn't notice any defensive weapons. I surfaced the boat near #4 to get to work with the deck gun. My first shot caused a massive explosion that I was caught in. I suffered serious damage due to how close I was. After sinking everything else in range, I spent time getting the damage fixed.

Here's the problem: The only things left that need repair are both of the periscope heads and the radio antenna. I had already repaired 1 diesel engine and 2 electric engines, plus the batteries. I can't make the diesels run. If I submerge, the electric runs fine. I've tried turning the battery charger off, but still no go. Is there some type of permanent engine damage feature that I'm not aware of? The game accepts the order of "ahead standard," the telegraph moves, but the props never turn.

Thanks in advance!
sperril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 07:36 PM   #424
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burki View Post
Yea to be more specific I get stuck on No mission too difficult.
That is the screen just before the display of the interior of the sub to start your mission. Hanging there usually indicates a lack of RAM. Let us know what your computer system is, and we'll go from there, or let us know if the LAA helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperril View Post
I'm having a little trouble and can't see it's been reported before. First patrol out of Manila in an S-boat. I've done 2 patrol zones and was then tasked with the landing in Lingayen Gulf. I found 8 or so small troopships without any protection at anchor. I hit 3 with my initial wave of torps. Coming closer to a fourth with the scope up I didn't notice any defensive weapons. I surfaced the boat near #4 to get to work with the deck gun. My first shot caused a massive explosion that I was caught in. I suffered serious damage due to how close I was. After sinking everything else in range, I spent time getting the damage fixed.

Here's the problem: The only things left that need repair are both of the periscope heads and the radio antenna. I had already repaired 1 diesel engine and 2 electric engines, plus the batteries. I can't make the diesels run. If I submerge, the electric runs fine. I've tried turning the battery charger off, but still no go. Is there some type of permanent engine damage feature that I'm not aware of? The game accepts the order of "ahead standard," the telegraph moves, but the props never turn.

Thanks in advance!
So you were inside the DD defense screen then. Hopefully, the next release will fix the failure of them to respond to your presence after the first torp hit. As far as your engines go, there is indeed a "completely destroyed" in the game. Same for the electrics and for the rudders. Now, in real life, if you lost your rudders, you could use the engines to steer with, but SH4 does not split the engines. In real life, you lose an engine, you'd try to cobble parts from one to fix the other. But there would be damages that are "permanent", which is what you found when you detonated the ammunition stores (most likely) on that troopship. Not to "cheat" or anything, but your batteries don't ever fully deplete in the game. You might be able to submerge and extricate yourself from the situation, come up and get some air, then continue submerged until you need air again... Of course, beginning of a career, it is much easier to start again, though the odds of getting the same assignment again are not real high...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 07:52 PM   #425
sperril
Swabbie

Downloads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
So you were inside the DD defense screen then. Hopefully, the next release will fix the failure of them to respond to your presence after the first torp hit. As far as your engines go, there is indeed a "completely destroyed" in the game. Same for the electrics and for the rudders. Now, in real life, if you lost your rudders, you could use the engines to steer with, but SH4 does not split the engines. In real life, you lose an engine, you'd try to cobble parts from one to fix the other. But there would be damages that are "permanent", which is what you found when you detonated the ammunition stores (most likely) on that troopship. Not to "cheat" or anything, but your batteries don't ever fully deplete in the game. You might be able to submerge and extricate yourself from the situation, come up and get some air, then continue submerged until you need air again... Of course, beginning of a career, it is much easier to start again, though the odds of getting the same assignment again are not real high...
I never detected a single destroyer on the way in, I just sailed up to the ships. I've sat for over a day of game time fixing up the boat without being attacked by DDs. I was, however, harassed and attacked by float-planes pretty much constantly.

Is there any indication when permanent damage occurs? My damage control screen shows the engines to be in good working order. Only one of the 4 diesel engine lines showed damage, to my knowledge.

But yeah, I'll probably just start over. I'm just wondering if I have some type of corruption to warrant a clean up and reinstall...
sperril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-20, 08:01 PM   #426
propbeanie

Well, the Sugar boats only had two engines and two motors, but the game only allows one drawing in that display, which is used for all boats in the game. I am not certain how they tackle the "damaged beyond repair" issue, but it is basically a roll of the dice when you take damage above a certain level. I'll look at the "timings" of the ships coming into Lingayen. It might be that the DD screen is "quitting" too early, demanding more pay, or maybe they aren't there yet, though they should be...

Old 02-11-20, 10:50 PM   #427
burki
Watch

Quote:
That is the screen just before the display of the interior of the sub to start your mission. Hanging there usually indicates a lack of RAM. Let us know what your computer system is, and we'll go from there, or let us know if the LAA helps.
Ive sent you a pm with my specs

If you didnt get it heres the link

https://imgur.com/a/T8TUypu

I also run with a 2080ti
Old 02-12-20, 03:33 PM   #428
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 262
Default Wow... Thanks

It***8217;s been MANY years since I***8217;ve played this game. For whatever reason, I got the urge to play again. I found this mod, downloaded it and have fallen in love all over again.

What a great mod. It feels like a new game. My first patrol has been slow (I***8217;m finding that you really have to ID ships before shooting, else your may send a good guy to the bottom. I***8217;ve had three solutions so far that I took time to set up but then aborted once o realized it wasn***8217;t Japanese. I needed the plotting practice anyway. That, and this is probably more realistic.

Thanks mod team.

Edit: When using the stadimeter, are you lining up the image with the highest mast or with the funnel?

Last edited by Dignan; 02-12-20 at 04:25 PM.
Dignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-20, 06:49 PM   #429
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by burki View Post
I have literally reinstalled the game and deleted the sh4 folder in my documents. Saves become unplayable usually when im by japanese ships and airplanes. Its annoying as hell. Plus ive been getting the usual sh4 glitch where the deck crew sometimes doesnt want to show itself when I surface / or they love the water and dont go inside when I submerge way more often now then in previous editions of FOTRSU
A key strategy when attempting saves is making sure you are not near land, ships and airplanes. Most of the time you have no idea where the ships and planes are in relationship to the submarine but I use the twenty mile rule. If anything is within twenty miles I suspect the file might be corruptible.

To avoid this I never save within 20 and even 50 miles from land. I only save at night and on the surface. While this will limit the number of planes that might be near by but not detected you can have a stray ship depending on the shipping routes you might be near.

I use Time Compression ... A LOT ... I have never had an issues with save from this however as I always drop to X1 then to X0 and then save the game. I will use the TC to gauge nearby shipping. If your running your time compression at its highest with a nearby ship you get a stuttering effect in the movement of the submarine over the map. No ships - you get a smooth movement.

At night, 20 or more miles from land normally 50 miles, and TC with no stuttering then I will drop out to X1 then to X0 and save ... fairly but not 100 % sure nothing is near by. I get maybe a one percent chance of a corrupt save like this. I also delete previous saves except for the last two. If I can load a save then to me it is a known good file and I delete everything previous to that point. I then save the next one and if that one does not load I still have my known good file to go back on. Keeping to many saves has in the past been known to cause issues.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-20, 07:13 PM   #430
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Well, the Sugar boats only had two engines and two motors, but the game only allows one drawing in that display, which is used for all boats in the game. I am not certain how they tackle the "damaged beyond repair" issue, but it is basically a roll of the dice when you take damage above a certain level. I'll look at the "timings" of the ships coming into Lingayen. It might be that the DD screen is "quitting" too early, demanding more pay, or maybe they aren't there yet, though they should be...
I can not recall who it was now but on Operation Monsun I believe there was a mod or perhaps it was a different mod but total destruction was many times avoided by this mod I can not remember LOL.

Anyway what it was: Long repair times. Meaning your damage rarely got to 100%. I even once sat on the bottom at a 45 degree angle flooded so bad I could not move but repairs kept going until about two game days later I was actually able to float enough to surface for air then went back down for more repairs as the engines were still out. I went back down because I was close to shore batteries but they could not see me at night but on the second submergence I did not have to stay on the bottom. Yes the mod prevented the bottom from severely damaging the boat. Because in real life ... the bottom was a cautious option.

Could have been these mods or something similar to them:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=1185
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...do=file&id=546
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=1156
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...do=file&id=981

You are welcome for the can of worms.

WARNING

The above mod list is a reference in relationship to my comment only and not intended to be added to this mod. Just do not do that. You will only corrupt an outstanding mod. I only wished to give examples of what I was talking about.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 02-12-20, 11:08 PM   #431
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
It***8217;s been MANY years since I***8217;ve played this game. For whatever reason, I got the urge to play again. I found this mod, downloaded it and have fallen in love all over again.

What a great mod. It feels like a new game. My first patrol has been slow (I***8217;m finding that you really have to ID ships before shooting, else your may send a good guy to the bottom. I***8217;ve had three solutions so far that I took time to set up but then aborted once o realized it wasn***8217;t Japanese. I needed the plotting practice anyway. That, and this is probably more realistic.

Thanks mod team.

Edit: When using the stadimeter, are you lining up the image with the highest mast or with the funnel?
We're glad you like the mod! Thank you. As for the stadimeter, I do not remember... I'm thinking it is the masts, but CapnScurvy usually changes that to the funnel when he does his OTC mods... and FotRSU has his Optics, just not the Centering, sort of like an Optical Correction mod for the binoculars and scopes... We'll have to try to coax some advice out of him... Either that, or read through the files closer...

Now merc4ulfate, don't forget about all the work Traveler put into his mods, attempting to "fix" the un-fixable in the game. We do have his pre-approval to use his ideas and solutions in FotRSU, if time ever permits us to...

Old 02-13-20, 09:19 AM   #432
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
We're glad you like the mod! Thank you. As for the stadimeter, I do not remember... I'm thinking it is the masts, but CapnScurvy usually changes that to the funnel when he does his OTC mods... and FotRSU has his Optics, just not the Centering, sort of like an Optical Correction mod for the binoculars and scopes... We'll have to try to coax some advice out of him... Either that, or read through the files.
Sounds like a test of distances using the stadimeter with map contacts on is in order. Comparing to target plot on attack map
Old 02-13-20, 01:52 PM   #433
propbeanie

If you do that, post your results for the others here, and I'll go through and see what I can find in the data files.

Old 02-13-20, 05:13 PM   #434
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
We're glad you like the mod! Thank you. As for the stadimeter, I do not remember... I'm thinking it is the masts, but CapnScurvy usually changes that to the funnel when he does his OTC mods... and FotRSU has his Optics, just not the Centering, sort of like an Optical Correction mod for the binoculars and scopes... We'll have to try to coax some advice out of him... Either that, or read through the files closer...

Now merc4ulfate, don't forget about all the work Traveler put into his mods, attempting to "fix" the un-fixable in the game. We do have his pre-approval to use his ideas and solutions in FotRSU, if time ever permits us to...
NICE

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 02-14-20, 10:13 AM   #435
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
If you do that, post your results for the others here, and I'll go through and see what I can find in the data files.
If I get around to it this weekend I’ll post my findings here