SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-16-19, 09:25 AM   #31
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by winzaren View Post
Got the checksums for freshly installed SH5.exe
SHA: 5d86a7fa04e2a0d487d86069873a4cd01b994167
MD5: 02fa3f1e5c78432406430f3f6177fcfe

Also the file was signed on 13th August 2019.
https://imgur.com/AxS0o4u

So yeah, it really looks like they pushed a new binary through Uplay.
I've just reinstalled my SH5 (DVD version) and the game automatically download and install the update 1.2.0. TWoS installation went without problems. What ever all this is about it seems that only affects uplay user...

Last edited by vdr1981; 10-16-19 at 10:04 AM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-19, 10:49 AM   #32
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi Harmer
Can you confirm your SH5 installation path please?
For example C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5

Can you confirm when your vanilla game loads to the main menu you can see v1.2 in the top right hand corner?
This needs to be done with a clean SH5 installation and not with TWoS having been tried to install on it.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-19, 11:08 AM   #33
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I have a UPlay SH4, but with my Steam SH5 in the same folder, and UPlay automatically picked-up my SH5 Steam install, and offered to put it there when I did the inital SH4 Gold install when this Win10 laptop was purchased. I have everything in the "C:\Ubisoft \Ubisoft Game Launcher" folder, which I made during the install, and had deleted the "Program Files (x86)\" portion from the path. I have had no ill effects from UPlay (as of yet), and I just did a "test" re-install yesterday. As soon as I did my first SH5 start after the re-install, the game did its "update" check, and UPlay downloaded its "update" (from September of this year). Afterwards, I did a TWoS install / activation, and everything went as expected. I would suspect install "path" issues myself also. May-haps if the Launcher or the game is in Program Files, it then "helps" the player by "tagging" the SH5.exe file??...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-19, 11:14 AM   #34
Taff in Exile
Swabbie

Downloads: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
I've just reinstalled my SH5 (DVD version) and the game automatically download and install the update 1.2.0. TWoS installation went without problems. What ever all this is about it seems that only affects uplay user...
Ha thanks @vdr1981, You are indeed right, I have dusted off my DVD copy and indeed TWoS works perfectly with that.
Previously I was downloading it through the Uplay launcher which was CTD when starting a new game. So there clearly has been some change to the Uplay download version..very frustrating indeed.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TaffinExile
www.taffinexile.com
Taff in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-19, 01:23 PM   #35
THEBERBSTER

Hi Taff
IIRC the Dvd only installs to version 1.0.5.0 and cannot make the connection to Ubisoft which it is looking for because Ubisoft no longer supports SH5.
Only by using the GameUpdater does the game get updated to v1.2.0 by the necessary files downloaded from Uplay.

Peter
Old 10-16-19, 01:51 PM   #36
vdr1981
Navy Seal

So to summarize...If the game is installed and updated trough the uplay, TWoS can not be fully installed because Generic Patcher does not recognize SH5.exe? Is this correct? Can every one confirm this?
Old 10-16-19, 02:26 PM   #37
ZeeboOnline
Swabbie

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
So to summarize...If the game is installed and updated trough the uplay, TWoS can not be fully installed because Generic Patcher does not recognize SH5.exe? Is this correct? Can every one confirm this?
As far as I can tell, yes. It seems ubisoft added a patch for uplay users only and now the generic patcher isn't compatible with the uplay version of SH5.
ZeeboOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-19, 02:51 PM   #38
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeboOnline View Post
As far as I can tell, yes. It seems ubisoft added a patch for uplay users only and now the generic patcher isn't compatible with the uplay version of SH5.
How about to run steam conversion tool which will replace your executable (Silent Hunter 5\Resources\TWoS_Setup\SH5updateSteam.exe) and then try to activate the Generic Patcher . Maybe that can do the trick.
Old 10-16-19, 04:10 PM   #39
vdr1981
Navy Seal

If nothing change in next few days I'll create special test v2.2.16 installer for uplay owners which will hopefully bypass this issue. However, it will probably be required for the player to manually advance his campaign once campaign chapter reaches it's end date, using "TWoS_Alternative Campaign Progression.pdf" tutorial from documentation folder...
Old 10-16-19, 04:40 PM   #40
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

My version is DVD, but it install Uplay and actualizes the game to 1.02. My game starts with Uplay, from Uplay is launched, and never I had a problem with 2.2.6 and the patcher. All works as expected. I have savegames in the Ubi cloud via Uplay and no problems to reload the games, too.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-19, 04:51 PM   #41
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
My version is DVD, but it install Uplay and actualizes the game to 1.02. My game starts with Uplay, from Uplay is launched, and never I had a problem with 2.2.6 and the patcher. All works as expected. I have savegames in the Ubi cloud via Uplay and no problems to reload the games, too.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
That's good to know Fitz...Thanks.
Old 10-16-19, 05:52 PM   #42
THEBERBSTER

Hi Vecko
I can confirm that replacing the Uplay download with STEAM overcomes the problem and TWoS installs.
Peter
Old 10-17-19, 03:00 AM   #43
Harmer
Seaman

Downloads: 13

@THEBERSTER
My file path is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games\Silent Hunter 5

The game now gets stuck on the launcher (although no ctd - still have normal pc access).

[Edit] - running as admin by using the SH5 shortcut (not thru Uplay) gives me the vanilla game version 1.2.0 and seems to be playable (had to start a new campaign). My old TWoS files are still showing on the server as been sync - however I think loading them will ctd.

Last edited by Harmer; 10-17-19 at 03:32 AM.
Harmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-19, 05:21 AM   #44
THEBERBSTER

Hi Harmer
Your SH5 game is installed in a restricted directory for 32 bit applications.
While the game launcher will install by default into this directory Program Files (x86) you should avoid installing the game there if possible.
Installing in a simple way like this C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5 there is less chance of complications.

Peter
Old 10-17-19, 05:48 AM   #45
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Just a reminder guys that the Generic Patcher has the ability to completely kill uplay thing but in that case player will have to manually perform campaign transfers once per campaign chapter using this tutorial...https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...64&postcount=1

In my opinion this is a small price to pay in order to get rid of infamous uPlay crap...