SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-20, 03:17 AM   #1351
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253
Uploads: 0
Default First impressions

This is just a post to report my first impressions on this mod.

They may be useful to someone else that is using it.

Disclaimer: these are only my perceptions based on my experience. They might not even be accurate and may be missing some important pieces of information that I missed. Example: something already in the documentation.

1. Background. My only experience with Silent Hunter III is going on to 4 years now. That is only with GWX and NYGM running on Steam.

2. Some months back on an older computer I tried installing LSH on a Steam configuration PC and failed after several tries. I decided to put that into the too-hard category and deal with it at a later date when I had a new PC and a proper DVD install of SHIII.

3. Recently I got a new PC. It is fast to include the SSD hard drive is directly attached to the motherboard with no cable interface. Running Windows 10.

4. Installed the DVD version of SHIII and when I did the 1.4 patch it said it was a 1.3 patch. Not knowing and not wanting to deal with it. I just loaded up Steam and ran NYGM.

5. After some searching I found out the 1.4 patch shows as a 1.3 patch and to ignore that. Surprise.

6. Removed Steam. Installed SHIII DVD. I had zero troubles with getting LSH up and running. So as for troubleshooting installs of LSH, I might not be the person to talk to as I didn't have any trouble.

7. After running 1 campaign and starting another, here are my impressions.

---Impressions:

1. Like it a lot. I like the school first mission in a campaign as I was doing a throw away first patrol in other Super mods so I could get back to base and adjust my crew in Silent Hunter Commander the way I want.

2. Beautiful detail. Lots of ships. Many of the ships are different from what I am used to seeing. I like that.

3. So, overall a lot of fun.

4. I don't like how ships sink so fast once the game declares that they will sink. Ships sink inside of a minute or so. Kind of a downer. Is there a way to change that?

5. Flotilla accuracy. Started my second campaign in April 41 with 1 Flotilla. After the school cruise when I transferred, being a few months before June, I should have gone to Kiel ....and once June comes around, Brest is the new port. It put me directly to Brest. Disappointing.

6. Torpedoes are still too reliable I think. An opinion.

7. Unfortunately the old Hitman mods turned me into an insufferable periscope snob. I don't understand the 1 and 4.5 zoom for the observation scope and the 1.5 and 10 zoom in the attack scope. I am using Silent 3ditor to fix that: 1.5 and 6 for both scopes. I also like simplicity so the stock wide-screen scopes with this fix up will be very nice. The Uzo is already set at 7.5 X. which like the stock game, if a 140m long ship is 90AOB to you and fills the frame, it is about 1400 meters away...... not perfect but close enough.

8. My ignorance on what the JSGME mods do is significant. I would like to see a list of what they do in detail. Do any of the old hands have good advice on other JSGME mods to use with this LSH?

9. I love how the ships and the sub ride in the water. Incredible feel of being out on the water.

10. Very nice that the devs did a wide-screen of OLC too! Much appreciated.

Summary.

It is very much appreciated all the hard work that went into this mod. It is absolutely lovely.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM

Last edited by Leoz; 05-26-20 at 12:56 AM.
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-20, 05:20 AM   #1352
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Yes, this mod is very lovely, i love it too

You can check the realistic ships sinking time via SH3 Commander
With this option checked, some ships are sinking from quickly (not often) to very long (sometimes have to finish it with more torp hit)
In fact, it depends where you hit the ship, i believe.

Actually playing it on 95% realism (just external view for screen shots, no stabilized view, and event camera on)...it’s real fun!
I have almost all the boxes checked too in Hsie patch as well.

Yes, historical affections/flotillas are not that accurate...but that’s ok with me.
As well as the U-Boats availability, but i change U-Boat type following historical dates i know of.

I have made changes for the ARB wide gui binocular zoom and UZO zoom, wich is completely inaccurate. Now i have only 1 zoom available for both.
As well as the interior camera always rolling/pitching even when underwater (SH3 stock bug). Now it’s stable when 15m/s at 20m depth
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-20, 12:49 AM   #1353
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post

You can check the realistic ships sinking time via SH3 Commander
With this option checked, some ships are sinking from quickly (not often) to very long (sometimes have to finish it with more torp hit)
In fact, it depends where you hit the ship, i believe.
Thank you Fifi,

I have not been able to find this option in SH3 Commander.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-20, 02:20 AM   #1354
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoz View Post
Thank you Fifi,

I have not been able to find this option in SH3 Commander.
Sorry Leoz, it’s not in SH3 Commander!!...this option is in Hsie Patch who is already installed in LSH3
But it’s not activated by default, you have to check the box (as well as others options if desired)
Pffff...my poor brain...
Old 03-03-20, 01:25 PM   #1355
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Guys
Default LSH3-2015 settings.
HSIE manual in the manuals folder.

Peter

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-20, 01:48 PM   #1356
Fifi
Navy Seal

Hey Peter, what if we check the night vision fix (GWX) and the crash dive fix (NYGM) in LSH3? Any bad side effects?
Old 03-04-20, 01:11 PM   #1357
THEBERBSTER

Hi Fifi

19. Night Vision Fix (GWX)
This fix addresses the so-called „Vampire Night Vision Bug“: In a clear but dark night, your U-boat watch crew can see a ship in 15km distance, while an enemy warship watch crew can only see your U-boat in 300m distance (at least in GWX). This hardcode fix eliminates this problem. Not only the watch crew has lowered visible range, also the player on his monitor, since the mod changes the rendering of the objects at night using a simple environmental hack: A fog-curtain is moved, depending on the sun position. At daylight, the fog curtain is not changed, but as soon as the sun hides behind the horizon, the fog-curtain is continuously moved closer to the U-boat. So the balance between the players eyes and the watch crews eyes is widely kept.
Per default, the fix reduces visibility at dark night about 50% (factor 0.5), but this factor can be adjusted in the hsie.ini file. Set the value e.g. to 0.75 in order to have a 25% reduction of visibility at night.
Recommended Crew Sensor Settings in data/cfg/Sensors.cfg (tentative values):

 Visual range factor = 0.5
 Visual fog factor = 1.02 (see below!)
 Visual light factor = 0.8
The „best“ Visual fog factor depends on the chosen environment and your monitor settings and must be individually fine-adjusted between approx. 1.00 and 1.05. If your crew detects a ship at night, before you can see it through the binocular on your monitor, the Visual fog factor must be slightly enlarged and vice versa. (Fix by Makman94, Rubini, h.sie)

8. „Crash dive blues“ - Bugfix (NYGM
From now on, you don't lose control over the U-boat anymore if you interrupt a crash dive before the U-boat has reached its designated crash dive depth. Especially NYGM players will benefit from this fix, since in NYGM the Crash dive blues is more noticeable. (Fix by h.sie and Stiebler)
This Fix is not necessary for LSH3 2015.

Peter
Old 03-04-20, 02:04 PM   #1358
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi Fifi

19. Night Vision Fix (GWX)
This fix addresses the so-called „Vampire Night Vision Bug“: In a clear but dark night, your U-boat watch crew can see a ship in 15km distance, while an enemy warship watch crew can only see your U-boat in 300m distance (at least in GWX). This hardcode fix eliminates this problem. Not only the watch crew has lowered visible range, also the player on his monitor, since the mod changes the rendering of the objects at night using a simple environmental hack: A fog-curtain is moved, depending on the sun position. At daylight, the fog curtain is not changed, but as soon as the sun hides behind the horizon, the fog-curtain is continuously moved closer to the U-boat. So the balance between the players eyes and the watch crews eyes is widely kept.
Per default, the fix reduces visibility at dark night about 50% (factor 0.5), but this factor can be adjusted in the hsie.ini file. Set the value e.g. to 0.75 in order to have a 25% reduction of visibility at night.
Recommended Crew Sensor Settings in data/cfg/Sensors.cfg (tentative values):

 Visual range factor = 0.5
 Visual fog factor = 1.02 (see below!)
 Visual light factor = 0.8
The „best“ Visual fog factor depends on the chosen environment and your monitor settings and must be individually fine-adjusted between approx. 1.00 and 1.05. If your crew detects a ship at night, before you can see it through the binocular on your monitor, the Visual fog factor must be slightly enlarged and vice versa. (Fix by Makman94, Rubini, h.sie)

8. „Crash dive blues“ - Bugfix (NYGM
From now on, you don't lose control over the U-boat anymore if you interrupt a crash dive before the U-boat has reached its designated crash dive depth. Especially NYGM players will benefit from this fix, since in NYGM the Crash dive blues is more noticeable. (Fix by h.sie and Stiebler)
This Fix is not necessary for LSH3 2015.

Peter
Ok then, the crash dive fix is not necessary but the night vision yes

I’m in love with this mega mod
Some are saying it’s too easy, but with all Hsie patch checked + SH3 Commander difficulties on + 95% realism on + LSH3 extended challenge activated, it’s very good for me
Old 03-11-20, 11:45 AM   #1359
kamata93
Nub

Downloads: 392
Default LSH3 no valid sh3.exe

Hi guys,

I checked every single forum thread here and on Google and I cannot find a working solution. I just bought the game from Uplay, downloaded the mod (the full one) and followed every single instruction out there. And still, I can't get the installer to accept the SH3.exe as valid. I am stuck. Any ideas here?

P.S Renamed the folder with no spaces, checked if the sh3.exe has the read-only unchecked, reinstalled the game 4 times and nothing.
kamata93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-20, 05:00 PM   #1360
THEBERBSTER

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community >kamata93
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

Are you followiing my tutorials from my signature below?

Old 03-11-20, 06:50 PM   #1361
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

kamata93! after a nine year silent run... a second post!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 11:58 AM   #1362
kamata93
Nub

Downloads: 392

Well, I was hiding from those pesky destroyers...I guess it was a success!
Anyhow, I am really trying to get that mod to work. I checked everything and nothing really shows any fixes for that. I even checked THEBERBSTER links and nothing... Either I'm dumb or something or Ubisoft screwed something up with the Uplay version of SH3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
kamata93! after a nine year silent run... a second post!
kamata93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-20, 07:56 AM   #1363
keneek
Watch

Downloads: 32
Default reinstall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamata93 View Post
Hi guys,

I checked every single forum thread here and on Google and I cannot find a working solution. I just bought the game from Uplay, downloaded the mod (the full one) and followed every single instruction out there. And still, I can't get the installer to accept the SH3.exe as valid. I am stuck. Any ideas here?

P.S Renamed the folder with no spaces, checked if the sh3.exe has the read-only unchecked, reinstalled the game 4 times and nothing.
Try turning off all antivirus programs. That was my problem a while back.
keneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-20, 05:01 PM   #1364
teitr28
Swabbie

Downloads: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by keneek View Post
Try turning off all antivirus programs. That was my problem a while back.
I have the same issue as he's having, turned off my anti-virus and did the steps he did as well, it's not accepting my sh3.exe as valid either.
teitr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-20, 05:34 AM   #1365
THEBERBSTER

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > teitr28

Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

Check that the SH3.exe is not showing "Read only"