SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-03-09, 08:16 PM   #226
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3 View Post
Please note that all my testing has been on merchant, however I just looked at the Bismarck and there is a "0" value set in the "draught" field in the .sim file. However the value in S3d from the 0 "y" value to the top of the "after mast" is 5.52 which works out to 55.2 meters.
by 0 ''y'' value you mean the keel of ship ?

Quote:
I personally know that a value in the "draught" field will effect were the ship 3d model sits in the water during game play.
i know that too and i tottaly agree with you

Quote:
Just to let you know the type of testing I did, I pick three merchants at random from the MFM add on in v720 and used the procedure I presented in my last post on each one. Then using the Mission editor created "map zones" of 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500 meters and placed each of the modified ships on each of the circles and had the ships set to "docked" so that can't move. After launching the single mission set to "manual targeting" mode, ID each ships via the rec-manual and then using the "stock" Stadimeter generated "range" estimates. In all cases the range error was less that 0.05 percent.
it is better for your ingame tests to make missions with NOT stationary ships.the stadimeter has a limitation and that is its pixel by pixel movement.by that i mean that the calculate distance via stadimeter is not 'continuesly' (sorry for my english) ...by that i mean that the calculate distance is 'jumping' from one measurment(that will keep it for some time there) immediatelly to the next one (that will keep it for some time there)and so on...
so it is better to have a moving ship and take ranges periodically .
what i do is this :
put the ship (about 4km away) and set its curse at 270 and make itso that when it pass in front of our nose (we are stationary and our course is set at o degrees) to be at a distance about 1km
then i run the mission with auto targeting enabled and start write down the given distances from the sh4 (these are the real distances) at 60,55,50.....,5,0 bearing.
then run the mission again but with the manual targeting enabled and start taking ranges via stadimeter at 60,55,50......,5,0 bearing(these are the fake distances)
then use this formula for each bearing : realmast=(fake mast x real range)/fake range where fakemast=the mast value that the game is currently using
then you have the 'realmasts' for each bearing and you calculate the middle one of these

Quote:
Also I conducted test on the "length" values for these merchants. When using S3d to measure from the Bull Nose ( front of the ship ) to the fantail and using those values for ships length to calculate ships speed, the soluation was within .01% of true speed.
you are talking about the method that Darkfish suggested, right ?
yes, this method is absolutely correct...i checked it to some ships and works fine !

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-09, 09:55 PM   #227
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
by 0 ''y'' value you mean the keel of ship ?

No. The "0" on the y axis is the "start" position, If it was the keel it would have a "negative" value. In the case of the Bismarck it is -1.03

As far as your "moving" ship test, your basically using an old surveyor's trick of moving the "level rod" back and forth as he looks through the "level", When the level rod reaches its lowest point that will be the "height" above the ground.

However the procedures I have outline are accurate for determining "mast height"
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-09, 05:03 AM   #228
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
No. The "0" on the y axis is the "start" position, If it was the keel it would have a "negative" value. In the case of the Bismarck it is -1.03
ok , i got it now!
when the draught=0 at .sims then all you have to do is to measure the mast height with a node attached to hull and no need to measure the keel (i couldn't get it becuase i was using a node attached to the mast).
for the other ships ....just a thought for you Lurker .when we see at a ship ,for example, draught=9 does the sh4's engine is putting the hull of ship 9m into water or the box of ship ?

Quote:
As far as your "moving" ship test, your basically using an old surveyor's trick of moving the "level rod" back and forth as he looks through the "level", When the level rod reaches its lowest point that will be the "height" above the ground.
you don't understant my method and certainly has nothing to do with what you described but thats ok,no need to discuss it further(i didn't post it as a better method but.... just for sharing)
if the mast values you are getting via s3d are acurrate then everything is ok (and for sure you are saving a lot of time),it was about time to be made some fixes to ship's dimensions for sh4
the irony is that all these good things for sh4 (and was exactly some of the things that kept me away from sh4-ubm) are happening one day before sh5

ubi must understant one day that the priority is the gameplay and not only the graphics

anyway, i would for sure use this mod (i have allready said that this is the best mod ever made for sh4) when and if ever play the sh4

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 06:46 PM   #229
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

God I'm so excited right now, I just have to share this. I've just finished moving the last item and I only have 3 more tga's to remake . Just a few more hours and I can finally hang up my gloves . Rescaling the background items proved to be difficult but well worth the result. The mod now works at any aspect ratio, the AOBF is much smaller and it's much harder to click something to reset it (although because of hardcoding, the Stadimeter still resets the AOBF). I've removed the panel handles. To show the panels all you need to do is click the sides of the screen. To hide them just click any unused part of the panels. I've remade the background to be sharper but more weathered with metal scratches and chipped paint. As soon as I'm done I'll send the files to Lurker so pray that he tests it fast at releases it as a fix for OMEGU 300. No more Alphas this time guys...
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 06:22 AM   #230
karamazovnew
The Old Man

DONE... packing it up now and sending it to the right person

Here's a double pic showing half of the AOBF. This is taken at a 25:16 aspect resolution
Old 12-06-09, 09:27 AM   #231
looney
Commodore

Downloads: 43

Looks great... but will the half aob wheel not mess up our solutions

(sorry had to make a stupid remark)
looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 09:55 AM   #232
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by looney View Post
Looks great... but will the half aob wheel not mess up our solutions

(sorry had to make a stupid remark)
Damn, I had my left eye closed!!! Must remake it again!
What I wanted to show there was that I had to add a black padding around the aobf which reduced visibility to 30 miliradians wide. It's more of an issue on 4:3 resolution.
Old 12-06-09, 10:33 AM   #233
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post

Here's a double pic showing half of the AOBF. This is taken at a 25:16 aspect resolution

I assume that the 16-9 Res Fix is no longer required
Old 12-06-09, 10:39 AM   #234
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
I assume that the 16-9 Res Fix is no longer required
That's right, in fact I can retract all support for the Alpha 3.0 version (plus the fix). I'll delete the files from filefront as soon as possible.
Old 12-06-09, 11:11 AM   #235
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Quote:
God I'm so excited right now, I just have to share this. I've just finished moving the last item and I only have 3 more tga's to remake . Just a few more hours and I can finally hang up my gloves . Rescaling the background items proved to be difficult but well worth the result. The mod now works at any aspect ratio, the AOBF is much smaller and it's much harder to click something to reset it (although because of hardcoding, the Stadimeter still resets the AOBF). I've removed the panel handles. To show the panels all you need to do is click the sides of the screen. To hide them just click any unused part of the panels. I've remade the background to be sharper but more weathered with metal scratches and chipped paint. As soon as I'm done I'll send the files to Lurker so pray that he tests it fast at releases it as a fix for OMEGU 300. No more Alphas this time guys...
Awesome, man! Thank you!

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-09, 06:00 PM   #236
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:

OMEGU v300 Patch 1 is up
Old 12-06-09, 08:30 PM   #237
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Roger that, I've updated the first post...
Old 12-06-09, 09:00 PM   #238
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Awesome work! Just downloaded the Patch for OMEGU, and your work is perfect. Running 1920 by 1080, 16:9 aspect ratio. It works! Thank you!

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter

Last edited by Wilcke; 12-07-09 at 04:33 PM.
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 03:31 PM   #239
EgoApocalypse
Lieutenant

Location: The system might fail you. But dont fail youself...................
Downloads: 36

Work without a glitch and looks great. Thanks

EgoApocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 03:36 PM   #240
heidelbergensis
Watch

Downloads: 118
Uploads: 2

works superb also in 1280*1024.....At last! Thanks another time!
heidelbergensis is offline   Reply With Quote