Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 01-03-11, 07:13 PM   #1
33lima
Planesman

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default Steel Fury in high resolution?

No matter what settings I try in the options screens, SF always looks like it's running at about 1024x768. I have my desktop res at my TFT monitor's native res of 1600x900 but no matter whether I set it to use desktop, or don't and instead select a particular, higher resolution in video options, it makes no difference.

Since you can't have AA or AF in SF42 what I'm trying to do is reduce the rather horrible 'jaggies' by increasing the screen res, instead.

I've searched for a solution but no joy; SimHQ had some refs to doing this for the SF demo by turning off AF in game or by hand-editing the config file [set 'windowed=1' to '=0',] but the former didn't work and ref the latter, Vista won't let me save the cfg file even after turning off 'read only'; I would find a way of making the save stick, if that was the only solution.

Any suggestions guys?

Old 01-04-11, 06:02 AM   #2
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Default SF can be played at high resolutions

That's odd. ihave SF installed on my Toshiba laptop and I play it with 1280 X 768 resolution for smooth game play.I also have SF on my pc with more powerful graphic card and I play the game at 1650 X 900.

I set the resolution myself manually from within the game options.The game automatically detects your gpu and tells you whether it allows you to play at max resolution with everything set high.

What kind of GPU do you have?
What does the game tells you when you open the video options?
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 11:09 AM   #3
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Concur, I run it at 1920 by 1080, maxed out on AA and AF, looks really nice and smooth. It has always run very smoothly for me.

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 04:45 PM   #4
33lima
Planesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinik View Post
That's odd. ihave SF installed on my Toshiba laptop and I play it with 1280 X 768 resolution for smooth game play.I also have SF on my pc with more powerful graphic card and I play the game at 1650 X 900.

I set the resolution myself manually from within the game options.The game automatically detects your gpu and tells you whether it allows you to play at max resolution with everything set high.

What kind of GPU do you have?
What does the game tells you when you open the video options?
Cheers Frinik. I have a 9300GS budget card, with a somewhat better 9500GT on the way. In the video options menu, I get what looks like a reasonably full range of resolutions listed, including 1600x900 which is my screen's native [+ my desktop] resolution. I am able to select + apply this in the menu as far as Ican tell. I'm not absolutely sure what I actually get when I enter the 3D but the jagged edges on my tank and on the horizon make it look like 1024x768 at best. I dunno but the way the loading screen seems sometimes to appear then quickly blank and reappear, makes me think something is being reset before I enter a mission. I have tried both selecting and deselected the "use desktop res" and the "no video mode restrictions' options in the main options screen and if there is a right combination I have not so far stumbled upon it.

Looking at my config.enfcg file, I see the following, which makes me think I was right in my guess of the res I'm getting, maybe the fact that Vista isn't enabling me to save it after editing, is also why res changes "made" in the video options also won't stick, so maybe I need to fid a way of allowing myself to edit and save the config file:

i_render:render()
{
//àäàïòåð
adapter = 0;
//ðàçðåøåíèå, ÷àñòîòà, ðåæèì
bb_wid = 1024;
bb_hei = 768;
bb_freq = 0;
bb_fmt = 22;

Does that part of your config file show the resolution you're getting?
Cheers
Ivor

edit: Ijust now managed to hand edit the config file and enter 1600x900 instead of 1024x768 but the screen res looks unchanged in-game, so bang goes that theory, maybe I'm editing the wrong file.

Last edited by 33lima; 01-04-11 at 05:40 PM.
33lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 06:35 PM   #5
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Will take a peek at my config file when I get home. Will post results then.

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-11, 03:20 AM   #6
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Resolving the resolution.

Scotty with the card that you have my suspicion is that the game's engine detects its capacity and then sets the res according to its capacity.Whenever I installed the game ona different pc or laptop automtically once I enter the video options in the game menu I get the message that your card allows you to play the game at max settign with high details.Once I put it on a laptop with a budget Nvidia G7000 and in the video options it said that the card does not allow me to play the game at high settings.Still I tried and it allowed me but the fps were so slow(4 to 5) that I quickly reverted to a playable resolution.

I checked your 9300 in the list of best graphic cards( both ATI and Nvidia for both pcs and laptops and it's way down the list.Even your new GT9500( ( hope you have the ddr3 model???) is below the one I currrently have - ATI Sapphire HD5550 - in terms of graphic and capacity.I am awaiting an ATI HD 5670 ddr5.Still I have an ATI HD3650 512 mgbs on my laptop which is just above your 9300 and I am able to play SF at 1280X 768.

A couple of dumb questions: when you manually set your resolution in the video options of the game do you click Apply afterwards? As well do you check/tick the various boxes, reduce amount of grass, bloom effect etc????
Since you have an Nvidia gpu have you tried setting the resolution of your game from within the Nvidia control panel? It seems to me you can do it.I can do it from the ATI catalyser package which allows me to manually set the graphics,AA AAF and overclock if I so want.

Luck!
Old 01-05-11, 04:30 PM   #7
33lima
Planesman

Yeah I clicked "apply" and I didn't check any of the feature-reducing options. The 9300GS being a budget card, it may well be that the program is "helpfully' letting me chose a higher res then as you suggest dumbing it down to suit my crap card. Maybe my slightly less crap 9500GT will get better results. Will have a last try setting the res in the Nvidia control panel thingy, if all that doesn't help, well it's not the end of the world. Thanks for the help.
33lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-11, 10:31 PM   #8
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default RES

33lima it´s unfortunate you did not go for a more powerful gpu like the GT240 ddr5 or the GT430 - to stick with Nvidia - as they are not much more expensive than the GT9500 but infinitely more performing.Either is available for less than $90 ( I saw the GT430 priced at $79 a couple of days ago).

I installed my new ATI XFX HD 5670 ddr5 which I paid less than $ 100 and it really performs very well. I play user-made missions with 100 tanks and lots of infantry and AT guns fighting it out and I still get fps anywhere from 19 to 44.This is 50% better than what I usaed to get with my HD5550 and I play at 1680 X 1050 with everything set to high.

Anyway good luck and keep us informed.